Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Your best life now???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your best life now???

I've heard that there are people who claim you can have your best life now. Why on earth would you want that? What about eternity? Talk about failing the marshmallow test(the one where a child is offered a marshmallow and they can have another marshmallow if the refrain from eating the first marshmallow until the tester returns)! Do those people not think through that the New Creation will be millions(billions! Trillions! A Graham's number!) of times better than anything in this short life now. How could a measly few decades be the best time of a Christian's life when they have an eternity in Heaven(with glorified bodies also) with Jesus to look forward to?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

As even Paul said, it's just the logical conclusion that follows if you don't believe in life after death. 1 Corinthians 15:32.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

You saying that Joel Olsteen doesn't believe in Heaven??? Or the final resurrection?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        You saying that Joel Olsteen doesn't believe in Heaven??? Or the final resurrection?
        No, I didn't say anything about Joel Osteen.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I looked up the phrase on Google, and it's a title of one of that guy's books. Power of positive thinking junk with a "Christian" theme.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            He wrote the book. But he is WoF preacher, so the standard is low.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I really like this quote by C.S. Lewis that kinda puts it into perspective:

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

Being fully reunited with the Lord Jesus is going to be beyond our comprehension in terms of joy and sheer awesomeness. As well, what is difficult now will be easy. What is unclear or ambiguous will be clear and understood. There are those who say that we would grow bored but they fail to understand that we will be fully transformed, changed utterly, completely remade. The physical aspect of the general resurrection of the dead will be mind-blowing indeed, but what I think will be even more phenomenal than that will be the mental and spiritual changes.
              Last edited by Paula; 02-28-2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Just to be completely honest here, I really pay no attention to Joel Osteen. I know he's a WoF preacher with slippery doctrine, a lavish lifestyle, and a bad reputation, and that's really all I need to know.

Comment

The sad thing is that millions of people do pay attention to him and his ilk, and are led astray.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Joel is so slimy looking. greasy hair and all. looks like a funeral director and acts like a used car salesman. I dont see how anyone could trust him after one look at him.

joel-osteen.jpg

Comment

joel.jpg
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Why would a Christian claim to have your best life now? How could any one with a lick of sense about the Bible and Gospel say that and still claim to be a Christian?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          Why would a Christian claim to have your best life now? How could any one with a lick of sense about the Bible and Gospel say that and still claim to be a Christian?
                          exactly!

Comment

Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Zymologist

In future, please get permission before posting in this area. Thank you.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Zymologist; 04-18-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Njoroge View Post
                              Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Zymologist

In future, please get permission before posting in this area. Thank you.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                              Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

No permission granted. I merely wish to discuss an aberrant idea with other Christians.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X