Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Musical preferences changing over time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical preferences changing over time

I've heard it said that whatever music you listen to growing up is what you'll listen to for life but I've found that my music tastes have really changed in my late 20s. I used to listen to mostly hard rock but I've found that what I listen to really does affect my mood and have gravitated more toward upbeat stuff (more alternative, not so much pop). Has anybody else changed what they've listened to over the years?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

I'm still listening to DC Talk 20 years later......
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      I'm still listening to DC Talk 20 years later......
      My college roommate and I both agreed that while neither of us particularly liked Christian music, nor pop, we both made an exception for DC Talk because they were just that good.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

My music tastes went completely off the deep end about a year after college, and they've just kept getting weirder....
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I went from being an 80s headbanger to a punk rocker by the early 90s. Punk rock actually opened up my mind to all sorts of interesting underground, experimental, and counterculture music, but for the longest time I totally rejected the heavy metal stuff that I was into as baseless and moronic. I remember watching early episodes of Beavis and Butthead and being annoyed by the fact that I knew people just like that, that they were recently within my peer group. When I dropped out of the metal scene I also dropped out of the stoner music thing, because in my neck of the woods they were so closely related. Kids who dug Megadeath and Metallica also were heavily into Pink Floyd and the like.

Ironically, right before, and concurrent with getting into old school and early 80s anarcho/crust punk, I was also heavily into 60s hippy and psychedelic music (that was NOT Pink Floyd). I worked at a couple of records stores. One, an honest to goodness old school hippy vinyl shop called Mind Dust Music, then later at a corporate National Record Mart. By the time I was a Junior I was into a little bit of everything: Jazz, World Music, Old Timey Country and Western, Old Blues, Movie Soundtracks, Eclectic Soundscapes, and anything eclectic and weird.

Over time I've even grown an appreciation for some metal again, like Doom, Psychedelic, and Sludge Metal (we didn't have those genre label distinctions when I was a kid).

Music I listen to on a relatively routine basis includes: Old School 77 punk, Post-punk, Garage Rock, Goth Rock/Death Rock, 60s Psychedelic Rock, Black Gospel, Beat Jazz, 70s Italian Horror movie scores, Afrobeat and the like.

Music I generally avoid: What I term as "70s Guitar Rock" (basically most of the 70s stuff you might find on a "Classic Rock" station like Peter Frampton, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Journey and that sort of thing), Negative sounding rap (I don't hate rap, and there's actually plenty I like, but I can't stand hearing a bunch of derogatory language, boasting, and misogynistic crud), Most mainstream top 40 pop and R&B, Modern pop-country, Gothic Metal, Most post-80s Hardcore, and the like.

Comment

My tastes have changed some, but not a whole lot. I've pretty much stopped buying music (I've bought maybe 10 albums in the last decade, and I have something like 300). Since my early 20's I've added Johnny Cash, Irish folk music, and Orthodox chant, but quit listening to Christian radio (in favor of classical) and praise & worship. Part of that has to do with my conversion to Orthodoxy, but the change in musical tastes happened first.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I liked beautiful music as a kid. I still do.
              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

I like instrumental music. The only kinds of singing songs I like are hymns and children's songs.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I first heard the Beatles, other British Invasion and "oldies" rock 'n' roll from the 50's and 60's. I don't so much love the 50s styles but I still prefer British Invasion rock over any other genre. In high school I got into rap and ditched most rock music, but switched back when I became a Christian and attended Bible College where I started playing guitar again. Since then I've enjoyed some alternative and indie rock, blues and blues rock, and some pop and folk tunes.

Comment