Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

'Bible Answer Man' converts to Orthodoxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Troy was a troll on the old tweb, who was a "disciple" and proponent of Watchman Nee and was a total kook. He currently runs this site: http://biblocality.com/ where he spouts insane nonsense and has a forum where he is basically the only member because he kicks off anyone who doesn't totally agree with him. He even has a few sock puppets of himself there so he can make it look like others are there and agree with him. Pretty sad.

I tell you, if CRI is saying Watchman Nee and his ideas are legitimate, they have lost me as a supporter.
    About 10 years ago I was at a Protestant camp for training youths identified as potential future church leaders and we were taught something about Watchman Nee, but I completely forgot what it was. Could you brief us about what's problematic about Watchman Nee's beliefs?
    The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Troy was a troll on the old tweb, who was a "disciple" and proponent of Watchman Nee and was a total kook. He currently runs this site:
      Oh HIM. I think I pulled his chain a couple of times. I don't think he had the brain cells needed to understand Nee's writings or anyone else's for that matter. I wouldn't have trusted him to interpret a cookbook. He'd have turned it into a cult manual

I tell you, if CRI is saying Watchman Nee and his ideas are legitimate, they have lost me as a supporter.
      Well you can read that whole issue online if you want:

http://www.equip.org/PDF/EnglishOpt.pdf

Comment

Watchman Nee. I've heard of this guy. He taught while the communist were really cracking down in China. This article jp posted clears up a lot. I first heard of the guy reading Rodney Stark's A star in the East.
        sigpic

Comment

And now we wait for the likes of John Macarthur and those who follow Reformed theology to condemn him to hell
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

My question is, when you move from one Christian denomination to another is it really conversion?
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              My question is, when you move from one Christian denomination to another is it really conversion?
              The Orthodox Church does not consider itself a denomination (neither does the Roman Catholic Church).
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                The Orthodox Church does not consider itself a denomination (neither does the Roman Catholic Church).
                Neither does Calvary Chapel.

Meanwhile, Mormons consider themselves Christians.

We need an official label-assigning committee.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The Stone-Campbellite Church of Christ is very insistent that it isn't a denomination. All churches are independent, even though they generally believe pretty much the same thing.

Having said that, the word "demonination" generally implies something much smaller than one of the three major branches of Christianity.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

ISTM that most churches (and cults) that claim to be the "One, True Church" do not consider themselves to be denominations...
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                      ISTM that most churches (and cults) that claim to be the "One, True Church" do not consider themselves to be denominations...
                      Most of those groups also have a (lack of) history problem.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I miss Walter Martin.
                        The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

I understand that, but the question remains however you phrase it.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Most of those groups also have a (lack of) history problem.
                            Agreed! HOwever, supposed history does not necessarily guarantee truth.
                            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              I understand that, but the question remains however you phrase it.
                              The question is largely an intra-Protestant thing. Before y'all came along, it was always considered a conversion from heterodoxy to orthodoxy by the receiving group.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                                Agreed! HOwever, supposed history does not necessarily guarantee truth.
                                No, but a lack of history pretty much guarantees a lack of truth.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X