Spanish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I kind of wish I'd taken Spanish instead of French in school. I took French just because everybody else was taking Spanish, but it's next to useless in the US.
    It served me well in Haiti. French, that is, as they speak Creole, but it's enough like French that you can figure out what they're saying.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
      I stand corrected! This is probably another example of one of those exceptions we were talking about.
      I think she makes up her words as she goes - if you're sitting in the, she'll ask "can you scoochie over a bit..."
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I can't speak a word of Spanish. Which was highly frustrating when watching a TV series on Amazon Prime (Justified) that suddenly decided it was going to use the Spanish language track for two episodes and no amount of fiddling would make it play the English track (yay subtitles).

Maar ek is twee taalig want ek kan Afrikaans praat want dit is my twede taal. But kinda struggle to hold a conversation in it now as it's been nearly 11 years since I needed to.

I'm slowly trying to learn Te Reo.
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

French, Romanian, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese are all related so I imagine if you know one it wouldn't be too hard to learn another.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I kind of wish I'd taken Spanish instead of French in school. I took French just because everybody else was taking Spanish, but it's next to useless in the US.
            People used to get those CDs or DVDs to learn Spanish (Rosetta?), thinking that it would help them with dealing with the folks who come across our Southern border - but those learning programs are Spain Spanish, not Mexican Spanish. The Mexicans kinda snicker when you speak formal Spain Spanish to them.

Comment

French, Romanian, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese are all related so I imagine if you know one it wouldn't be too hard to learn another.
              My Associate Pastor, a few churches ago, was from Brazil, so he spoke Portuguese as his native language, learned English to live in the US, then learned Spanish so he could be my Hispanic Associate Pastor. When he translated for me when I was preaching, he was translating from his second language into his third language "on the fly". That always impressed me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                My Associate Pastor, a few churches ago, was from Brazil, so he spoke Portuguese as his native language, learned English to live in the US, then learned Spanish so he could be my Hispanic Associate Pastor. When he translated for me when I was preaching, he was translating from his second language into his third language "on the fly". That always impressed me.
                I knew a Catholic Priest for whom isiZulu was a first language, English was a second. He also knew Attic Greek, and when learning French, Attic Greek was the only language he had in common with his tutor, so that is what they used
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                  I knew a Catholic Priest for whom isiZulu was a first language, English was a second. He also knew Attic Greek, and when learning French, Attic Greek was the only language he had in common with his tutor, so that is what they used
                  I did some computer consulting for the EcoLab at Texas A&M in College Station Texas - it was an international lab, and the common language was French. It was kinda fun, cause they didn't know I had a working knowledge of French, and I never told them.

Comment

Well apparently if you are Speedlearner1 you will learn Italian in order to learn Latin so you can improve your English.

Comment

I know a little Spanish (took it in school when I lived in El Paso as a kid) and some German (my mom was German, and I lived there on and off over the years).

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I know a little Spanish (took it in school when I lived in El Paso as a kid) and some German (my mom was German, and I lived there on and off over the years).
                        I know a little German from watching Combat, The Gallant Men, Hogan's Heroes and The Great Escape. Oh, and Stalag 13!

Comment

I know a little German from watching Combat, The Gallant Men, Hogan's Heroes and The Great Escape. Oh, and Stalag 13!
                          And it's true just like in the movies, everybody speaks English!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            And it's true just like in the movies, everybody speaks English!
                            I love those shows (and movies) where they start off in the foreign language with English subtitles, then morph into English.

Comment

I love those shows (and movies) where they start off in the foreign language with English subtitles, then morph into English.
                              Speaking of SUBTITLES!!!!! One of my favorites....

Comment

"Ve must practice our English Comrade!"

Comment