Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's Media Genius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    You're right, the Nunes investigation is bearing fruit.

It's found money laundering, violations FEC, fraud, identity theft, unregistered foreign agents, tax scams, obstruction of justice ... oh wait, that's wasn't Nunes, that was Mueller.
    A lot of that was lumped together in the recent indictment of the dozen or so Russian ham sandwiches who will never be extradited and are safely out of Mueller's reach, so what was the point? It's a classic nothing-burger that will go nowhere. And none of it is connected to Trump. The only thing Mueller has on anybody associated with Trump are "process crimes", lying to investigators, which ironically would have never happened if Mueller wasn't charged with this witch hunt.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Oh I have no doubt it's how he would like to govern. He has continually shown admiration for "strong men" governments and it was how me managed his companies. But he has essentially no chance of doing that here. I have to admit, however, when he was first elected, I wasn't sure our systems could withstand the assault. So far, with the exception of the fourth estate, they've held up nicely.
      Yes, but he made some big mistakes which led to the appt. of the special prosecutor. Had that not happened, which is why Trump is furious at Atty Gen, Sessions, I'm not so sure the systems would have held.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
        Yes, but he made some big mistakes which led to the appt. of the special prosecutor.
        His biggest mistake was not holding Comey accountable for the potentially illegal act of leaking privileged conversations with the President to the media... and possibly for appointing an Attorney General who apparently doesn't have a spine.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I stand by my post.
          Nice!
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            The Democrats have been actively investigating Trump for almost two-years now. It started under Obama, it continued in earnest after Trump won the nomination, and now you have Mueller essentially digging through the Trump family's garbage cans and peering through their windows in the hope of finding something, anything to justify what is by all appearances a colossal waste of taxpayer money. If Trump's political enemies (and I include Mueller and his team in that category) haven't found something by now, the chances of them finding anything at all grow increasingly slim. Too bad Jeff Sessions doesn't have the backbone to put an end to the charade.

Nunes, on the other hand, now there's an investigation that is bearing fruit, and there's more to come.

The investigations in Congress are being led by Republican committees. The special counsel was appointed by a Republican in the DOJ and the special investigator is a Republican. Exactly what investigations have the Democrats been heading?
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Yes, but he made some big mistakes which led to the appt. of the special prosecutor. Had that not happened, which is why Trump is furious at Atty Gen, Sessions, I'm not so sure the systems would have held.
              I think I am increasingly confident that our system of checks and balances can withstand even so bad a president as Trump. I am more worried that they won't withstand the extensive polarization of the citizenry, and the increasing tendency for our populationm to ignore facts that don't support their pre-existing position. An educated/informed population is the heart of a democracy - and that is being eroded in many ways.

Comment

I think I am increasingly confident that our system of checks and balances can withstand even so bad a president as Trump. I am more worried that they won't withstand the extensive polarization of the citizenry, and the increasing tendency for our populationm to ignore facts that don't support their pre-existing position. An educated/informed population is the heart of a democracy - and that is being eroded in many ways.
                Yes, both situations are bad, and the polarization, the tribalism, is worse than I can ever remember, both outside of, but also within government itself, which is why I think some of our democratic institutions need shoring up in order to better protect against wannabe autocrats like Trump. Not only Trump himself, but his party, the republican party, is actually obstructing an investigation and aiding the very foreign nation that attacked our democratic way of governance.

Comment

Yes, both situations are bad, and the polarization, the tribalism, is worse than I can ever remember, both outside of, but also within government itself, which is why I think some of our democratic institutions need shoring up in order to better protect against wannabe autocrats like Trump. Not only Trump himself, but his party, the republican party, is actually obstructing an investigation and aiding the very foreign nation that attacked our democratic way of governance.
                  That is an accusation that can also be made of the Democrats in the Clinton age, and the Republicans in the Nixon age. No party lets its candidate go down without a fight. It's to be expected.

Comment

I am more worried that they won't withstand the extensive polarization of the citizenry, and the increasing tendency for our populationm to ignore facts that don't support their pre-existing position. An educated/informed population is the heart of a democracy - and that is being eroded in many ways.
                    Prog preaches white privilege theory, later 'this country keeps getting more polarized!!!'
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

The investigations in Congress are being led by Republican committees. The special counsel was appointed by a Republican in the DOJ and the special investigator is a Republican. Exactly what investigations have the Democrats been heading?
                      He doesn't actually realize any of that because he's so busy foaming at the mouth with Trumpanzee fury, the truth evades him no matter how readily available it is as public knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        A lot of that was lumped together in the recent indictment of the dozen or so Russian ham sandwiches who will never be extradited and are safely out of Mueller's reach, so what was the point? It's a classic nothing-burger that will go nowhere. And none of it is connected to Trump. The only thing Mueller has on anybody associated with Trump are "process crimes", lying to investigators, which ironically would have never happened if Mueller wasn't charged with this witch hunt.
                        The money laundering and fraud by Manafort and Gates was no ham sandwich, nor are any of the other half a dozen financial con deals actively being investigated.

Funny enough, Trump had his money in the same bank actively used by Russian nationals to launder money obtained via organized crime, using Russian conman and mob associate Felix Sater to run his little scams.

What another incredible coincidence!

Comment

That is an accusation that can also be made of the Democrats in the Clinton age, and the Republicans in the Nixon age. No party lets its candidate go down without a fight. It's to be expected.
                          It may be an accussation that can be made, but it isn't necessarily true. First off the nature of the alledged crime here is a factor that needs be taken into consideration when you say any party would protect their candidate by obstruction, coverup, or just not speaking truth to power. We are talking possible treason here, conspiracy with a foreign adversary to manipulate U.S. democratic elections, something we know the Russians did, for which not a thing has been done in retaliation by this administration. No, I don't think you can say that any party would do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                            He doesn't actually realize any of that because he's so busy foaming at the mouth with Trumpanzee fury, the truth evades him no matter how readily available it is as public knowledge.
                            I did notice the crickets....

Maybe he just didn't see the post....?

Comment

It may be an accussation that can be made, but it isn't necessarily true. First off the nature of the alledged crime here is a factor that needs be taken into consideration when you say any party would protect their candidate by obstruction, coverup, or just not speaking truth to power. We are talking possible treason here, conspiracy with a foreign adversary to manipulate U.S. democratic elections, something we know the Russians did, for which not a thing has been done in retaliation by this administration. No, I don't think you can say that any party would do that.
                              The word "treason" is very loosely tossed around. It has historically been described as someone contributing to the subversion of their own country (i.e., destroying the government, supporting the enemy in times of war, etc.). In this age of global communication, countries are going to involve themselves to one degree or another in the elections in other countries. Trump seeking outside support for his election (if he did) does not seem, to me, to rise to the level of treason. He's trying to gain public office - not destroy the government in favor of a different government/country.

Furthermore, given the number of times, and degree to which, the U.S. has injected itself into the internal politics of other countries, it seems a sad hypocritical to complain when the same thing is done to us.

Comment

I did notice the crickets....

Maybe he just didn't see the post....?
                                At some point it's helpful to enlighten the casual reader as to whom "he" refers, so we don't have to backtrack a whole bunch and ask, "Is it I?"
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment