Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's Trade Deals...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    The other side...
    And the problem, Seer, is when the tariffs impact items that are not readily available domestically and internationally, or they cost significantly more from those other sources. Steel is a marvelous example. China dwarfs the market. Their volume is so high, their price points are very low. So when tariffs on steel rise, most domestic companies that need steel have no other place to go to get that volume or that price - even with the tariffs. So they simply end up paying the higher price.

The same is true for many things Trump has placed tariffs on. Meanwhile China is playing the same game, making many American goods that China CAN buy elsewhere more attractive (e.g., soybeans). And China is surgically targeting products manufactured in red states and districts.

Don't get me wrong - I hope Trump continues this course of action and China continues to retaliate. I hope the entire thing significantly and negatively impacts our economy. Money is a major driver for Trump's base. We keep hearing "the economy - the economy." Perhaps if the things the right values are as negatively impacted as the things the left values have been, Trump will lose enough of his base to make his win essentially impossible.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Right so you would do nothing, let China keep eating our lunch and stealing our intellectual properties...
      I defend positions I have actually taken - not words people put in my mouth.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Steel is a marvelous example. China dwarfs the market. Their volume is so high, their price points are very low.
        You get what you pay for, and Chinese made steel is no exception. It's easy to flood the market with cheap product when you don't care about the quality.

The Australian Steel Institute and the Welding Technology Institute of Australia said that some imports from China have serious quality defects, according to a report on Tuesday on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

“We’ve seen some examples of that and it’s quite dangerous,” Welding Institute chief executive Geoff Crittenden told the public broadcaster.

“What concerns us most of all is there’s going to be a terrible accident, and that’s unacceptable,” he said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...0T71KV20151118

...1600 tonnes of Chinese steel destined for a major Waikato project was found to be below standard.

The substandard steel piles were to be used on four bridges along the Huntly section of the Waikato Expressway.

Tony Dickens, project director of the joint venture, said quality issues were identified shortly after the steel arrived in February and strength tests were conducted.

The batch of below-strength steel forced a design rethink for two bridges along the section.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...-strength-test

American steel requires some rigorous testing before it can be sold, but Chinese companies are not required to conduct these tests. These tests help keep buildings standing after a hurricane or earthquake and help prevent the steel from becoming brittle and beginning to crack when it is being welded.

Some Chinese companies were found putting Boron in their steel to earn a tax rebate. This addition to the steel makes the metal crack easier and is an overall safety hazard. While there are some welding methods that can help prevent the metal from cracking during welding, the exact amount of Boron added to the metal needs to be disclosed, which they often are not.

A good example of Chinese steel quality issues leading to potential danger is the Oakland Bay Bridge in San Francisco, California. The lower quality of the foreign steel was discovered in 2013 when a seismic test led to the discovery of 32 faulty rods that had to be replaced; they had been corroding in a large pool of water. This is especially problematic since the bridge practically connects two major fault lines, one of which was the cause of the big earthquake in 1989. A metallurgist testified that the Chinese steel was poor quality, and prone to embrittlement, which is why the rods cracked; during construction 750 panels cracked during welding and had to be replaced.

There have been a large number of reports of Chinese steel quality issues. Between 2011 and 2012 eight bridges in China, using Chinese steel, collapsed. In 2008 an earthquake struck the Sichuan province, and in one steel school that was poorly built, 700 children were crushed to death.

https://gensteel.com/building-faqs/b...-steel-quality

The article seer linked to earlier summarizes things quite nicely:

"The problem for President Trump?

"Once a nation is hooked on the cheap goods that are the narcotic free trade provides, it is rarely able to break free. The loss of its economic independence is followed by the loss of its political independence, the loss of its greatness and, ultimately, the loss of its national identity."

I'm old enough to remember when "Made in America" was a badge of pride.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          You get what you pay for, and Chinese made steel is no exception. It's easy to flood the market with cheap product when you don't care about the quality.

The Australian Steel Institute and the Welding Technology Institute of Australia said that some imports from China have serious quality defects, according to a report on Tuesday on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

“We’ve seen some examples of that and it’s quite dangerous,” Welding Institute chief executive Geoff Crittenden told the public broadcaster.

“What concerns us most of all is there’s going to be a terrible accident, and that’s unacceptable,” he said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...0T71KV20151118

...1600 tonnes of Chinese steel destined for a major Waikato project was found to be below standard.

The substandard steel piles were to be used on four bridges along the Huntly section of the Waikato Expressway.

Tony Dickens, project director of the joint venture, said quality issues were identified shortly after the steel arrived in February and strength tests were conducted.

The batch of below-strength steel forced a design rethink for two bridges along the section.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...-strength-test

American steel requires some rigorous testing before it can be sold, but Chinese companies are not required to conduct these tests. These tests help keep buildings standing after a hurricane or earthquake and help prevent the steel from becoming brittle and beginning to crack when it is being welded.

Some Chinese companies were found putting Boron in their steel to earn a tax rebate. This addition to the steel makes the metal crack easier and is an overall safety hazard. While there are some welding methods that can help prevent the metal from cracking during welding, the exact amount of Boron added to the metal needs to be disclosed, which they often are not.

A good example of Chinese steel quality issues leading to potential danger is the Oakland Bay Bridge in San Francisco, California. The lower quality of the foreign steel was discovered in 2013 when a seismic test led to the discovery of 32 faulty rods that had to be replaced; they had been corroding in a large pool of water. This is especially problematic since the bridge practically connects two major fault lines, one of which was the cause of the big earthquake in 1989. A metallurgist testified that the Chinese steel was poor quality, and prone to embrittlement, which is why the rods cracked; during construction 750 panels cracked during welding and had to be replaced.

There have been a large number of reports of Chinese steel quality issues. Between 2011 and 2012 eight bridges in China, using Chinese steel, collapsed. In 2008 an earthquake struck the Sichuan province, and in one steel school that was poorly built, 700 children were crushed to death.

https://gensteel.com/building-faqs/b...-steel-quality

The article seer linked to earlier summarizes things quite nicely:

"The problem for President Trump?

"Once a nation is hooked on the cheap goods that are the narcotic free trade provides, it is rarely able to break free. The loss of its economic independence is followed by the loss of its political independence, the loss of its greatness and, ultimately, the loss of its national identity."

I'm old enough to remember when "Made in America" was a badge of pride.
          Boy - you guys cannot seem to help yourself with the "make my case anecdotes."

All three of these are marvelous examples of things that shouldn't happen. Now...can we see some statistics about what percentage of Chinese steel is evaluated as "substandard?" And why is the steel not being evaluated (and returned) before it is used if it is so bad?

A few stories is not "data." It's just a few stories. Where is the data?

Comment

Well - there was the exploding watermelon saga a few years back. And I only knew of issues with imports to Japan ... but google search brings up stories about entire crops of watermelons exploding.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              Well - there was the exploding watermelon saga a few years back. And I only knew of issues with imports to Japan ... but google search brings up stories about entire crops of watermelons exploding.
              I've heard about kids wrapping rubber bands around watermelons in order to get them to explode, but I have to say that this is the first time I've ever heard of watermelons spontaneously going kablooey all on their own.

Comment

It was a result of overdosing with a growth accelerator, "forchlorfenuron."
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

OK - I just have to do this...

Imports to...?

(I looked for some youtube video...and stumbled across...

Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-14-2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

OK - I just have to do this...

Imports to...?
                    Point of reference is the target ... no grammar problem, if that is what you are referring to. I was in Japan at the time, and that is where the problem came to my attention. Watermelons imported to Japan from China.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Point of reference is the target ... no grammar problem, if that is what you are referring to. I was in Japan at the time, and that is where the problem came to my attention. Watermelons imported to Japan from China.
                      Ahh... that makes sense...

Comment

Boy - you guys cannot seem to help yourself with the "make my case anecdotes."

All three of these are marvelous examples of things that shouldn't happen. Now...can we see some statistics about what percentage of Chinese steel is evaluated as "substandard?" And why is the steel not being evaluated (and returned) before it is used if it is so bad?

A few stories is not "data." It's just a few stories. Where is the data?
                        Right... idly dismiss any source of information that undermines your position. It's the carpe way!

Here's another source for you to ignore:

Source: China dumping unsafe steel products in Saudi

China is dumping huge quantities of unsafe steel products in Saudi Arabia in the absence of effective government control, a Saudi newspaper reported on Monday.

'Okaz' Arabic language daily quoted Raed Al-Ajaji, chairman of the Saudi universal metal coating company Ltd (Unicoil), as saying China exported about 163,000 tonnes of steel to the Gulf Kingdom in the first 10 months of 2014, nearly 70 per cent of domestic demand.

“The problem is not only in these large supplies, which amount to flooding and dumping, but also in the quality of these products. Our tests showed steel sheets imported from China violate international specifications,” he said.

He said those sheets state that their thickness is 0.32 mlm but tests showed they are about 0.26 mlm. The tests, he added, also showed that zinc, which is used for protection against rusting, has a rate of 18-30 ml gm per metre in those sheets while the accepted average international rate is around 90 ml gm.

“The most shocking result in the tests was that the coating of most Chinese steel products supplied to the Saudi market contained very high levels of lead, which is internationally banned.

"The tests showed that the lead levels in some samples were as high as 50 times the level permitted internationally,” he said.

Al-Ajaji estimated steel production in Saudi Arabia, the largest Arab economy, at around 380,000 tonnes per year and consumption at 255,000 tonnes.

“This means there is a surplus of nearly 50 per cent in the local market…but this is no longer the real problem. The main problem now is the massive steel quantities being dumped in the local market, mainly from China. A large part of the steel sheets exported by that country to the Saudi market are bad and adulterated,” he said.

https://www.emirates247.com/business...03-16-1.584339

© Copyright Original Source

But, no, you're absolutely right, I'm sure the variety of sources I've quoted from have all gotten it wrong.

Meanwhile, another perspective on the trade war:

Source: Chinese Goods are Less Than 2 Percent of U.S Consumer Spending

Although the prospect of a tariff hike has loomed large in financial markets and the financial media this week, higher tariffs on imports from China will not likely have much of an impact on American consumers.

Evidence from tariffs on steel, aluminum, and Chinese goods already in place indicates that businesses have not been able to pass higher costs of goods and materials on to consumers. Even though wages are rising, prices have been remarkably steady. In March, the index of personal consumption expenditures–the Fed’s favored measure of consumer prices–showed prices up just 1.5 percent over 12-months.

One reason tariffs are unlikely to hurt U.S. consumers is that trade with China accounts for a very small fraction of U.S. spending. According to a recent study by an economist at the San Francisco Fed, imports make up around 11 percent of the $14.3 trillion of consumer spending in the U.S. Imports from China account for 16% of that, which translates into 1.76 percent of consumer spending.

The tariffs that the Trump administration plans to hike apply to only around 34 percent of consumer spending on imports from China, according to a different study from the San Fran Fed. In other words, just over half a percentage point worth of overall U.S. consumer spending.

If all of the tariffs were passed through to consumers–which has not happened judging by price data–the overall impact on prices would be a 0.1 percentage point rise, according to the San Fran Fred’s estimate.

In other words, without the China tariffs, our 1.5 percent inflation rate would be 1.4 percent.

Raising the tariff to 25 percent would roughly double the impact. So the personal consumption index rises to 1.6 percent.

Keep in mind that the Fed is trying to move inflation toward its 2 percent target. Assuming the Fed can effectively hit its target, this means that consumer prices will be accelerating over the next year or two anyway. If tariffs raise prices by two-tenths of a percentage point, that just gives the Fed less work to do.

In other words, our economy is well-prepared to sustain any costs of tariffs because we are in such a low-inflation environment.

Even if the Trump administration expands the 25 percent tariff to cover all goods, the impact on prices would be just 0.4 percentage points, according to the San Fran Fed.

That would move us closer to the Fed target–but we are headed there in any case. Tariffs may just eliminate some of the need to cut interest rates in order to accelerate inflation.

To put it slightly differently: the tariffs will have no impact on U.S. consumers because their worst-case scenario effect would be to move price increases toward where the Fed is determined to see them go anyway.

It is unlikely, however, that 100 percent of the cost of tariffs will be passed on to consumers. Some will be absorbed by businesses, others eliminated by U.S. importers sourcing materials from manufacturers outside of China. If just half of the hike to 25 percent is passed on, the impact on consumer prices would be a boost of just one-tenth of a percentage point.

Our trade relationship with China has had massive impacts on the U.S. and global economy and may be one of the most important determinants of our economic and political future. But boosting tariffs on $250 billion of imports by fifteen-percentage points will not be noticeable to most consumers.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...umer-spending/

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Right... idly dismiss any source of information that undermines your position. It's the carpe way!

Here's another source for you to ignore:

China is dumping huge quantities of unsafe steel products in Saudi Arabia in the absence of effective government control, a Saudi newspaper reported on Monday.

'Okaz' Arabic language daily quoted Raed Al-Ajaji, chairman of the Saudi universal metal coating company Ltd (Unicoil), as saying China exported about 163,000 tonnes of steel to the Gulf Kingdom in the first 10 months of 2014, nearly 70 per cent of domestic demand.

“The problem is not only in these large supplies, which amount to flooding and dumping, but also in the quality of these products. Our tests showed steel sheets imported from China violate international specifications,” he said.

He said those sheets state that their thickness is 0.32 mlm but tests showed they are about 0.26 mlm. The tests, he added, also showed that zinc, which is used for protection against rusting, has a rate of 18-30 ml gm per metre in those sheets while the accepted average international rate is around 90 ml gm.

“The most shocking result in the tests was that the coating of most Chinese steel products supplied to the Saudi market contained very high levels of lead, which is internationally banned.

"The tests showed that the lead levels in some samples were as high as 50 times the level permitted internationally,” he said.

Al-Ajaji estimated steel production in Saudi Arabia, the largest Arab economy, at around 380,000 tonnes per year and consumption at 255,000 tonnes.

“This means there is a surplus of nearly 50 per cent in the local market…but this is no longer the real problem. The main problem now is the massive steel quantities being dumped in the local market, mainly from China. A large part of the steel sheets exported by that country to the Saudi market are bad and adulterated,” he said.

Actually, what I said was "where is the data about the percentage of Chinese steel that is flawed?" To that you give me yet another anecdote. Nicely done!

BTW - did you note the emphasized line? In order to have poor quality steel you have to have a) a poor quality source and b) either an indiscriminate buyer or poor government oversight.

But, no, you're absolutely right, I'm sure the variety of sources I've quoted from have all gotten it wrong.

Meanwhile, another perspective on the trade war:

Source: Chinese Goods are Less Than 2 Percent of U.S Consumer Spending

Although the prospect of a tariff hike has loomed large in financial markets and the financial media this week, higher tariffs on imports from China will not likely have much of an impact on American consumers.

Evidence from tariffs on steel, aluminum, and Chinese goods already in place indicates that businesses have not been able to pass higher costs of goods and materials on to consumers. Even though wages are rising, prices have been remarkably steady. In March, the index of personal consumption expenditures–the Fed’s favored measure of consumer prices–showed prices up just 1.5 percent over 12-months.

One reason tariffs are unlikely to hurt U.S. consumers is that trade with China accounts for a very small fraction of U.S. spending. According to a recent study by an economist at the San Francisco Fed, imports make up around 11 percent of the $14.3 trillion of consumer spending in the U.S. Imports from China account for 16% of that, which translates into 1.76 percent of consumer spending.

The tariffs that the Trump administration plans to hike apply to only around 34 percent of consumer spending on imports from China, according to a different study from the San Fran Fed. In other words, just over half a percentage point worth of overall U.S. consumer spending.

If all of the tariffs were passed through to consumers–which has not happened judging by price data–the overall impact on prices would be a 0.1 percentage point rise, according to the San Fran Fred’s estimate.

In other words, without the China tariffs, our 1.5 percent inflation rate would be 1.4 percent.

Raising the tariff to 25 percent would roughly double the impact. So the personal consumption index rises to 1.6 percent.

Keep in mind that the Fed is trying to move inflation toward its 2 percent target. Assuming the Fed can effectively hit its target, this means that consumer prices will be accelerating over the next year or two anyway. If tariffs raise prices by two-tenths of a percentage point, that just gives the Fed less work to do.

In other words, our economy is well-prepared to sustain any costs of tariffs because we are in such a low-inflation environment.

Even if the Trump administration expands the 25 percent tariff to cover all goods, the impact on prices would be just 0.4 percentage points, according to the San Fran Fed.

That would move us closer to the Fed target–but we are headed there in any case. Tariffs may just eliminate some of the need to cut interest rates in order to accelerate inflation.

To put it slightly differently: the tariffs will have no impact on U.S. consumers because their worst-case scenario effect would be to move price increases toward where the Fed is determined to see them go anyway.

It is unlikely, however, that 100 percent of the cost of tariffs will be passed on to consumers. Some will be absorbed by businesses, others eliminated by U.S. importers sourcing materials from manufacturers outside of China. If just half of the hike to 25 percent is passed on, the impact on consumer prices would be a boost of just one-tenth of a percentage point.

Our trade relationship with China has had massive impacts on the U.S. and global economy and may be one of the most important determinants of our economic and political future. But boosting tariffs on $250 billion of imports by fifteen-percentage points will not be noticeable to most consumers.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...umer-spending/

OK - finally some data. I don't have time to parse this out, but I will try to get to it. Knowing it's source, there is a good chance they've managed to find a way to twist the statistics to tell the story they want to tell - but I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Comment

Interesting...

New York Democrat Sen. Chuck Schumer tweeted a message of support for Trump’s tough stance on trade with China this week, telling the president to “hang tough.” He reiterated those comments in D.C. on Tuesday, saying China has stolen "trillions" of dollars from the U.S. and there should be no rush for the Trump administration to sign an agreement.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...omething-china

Tom Friedman explains why he agrees with Trump's China trade approach

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/05/1...-approach.html
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The trade war plays out:
                              Across the country, farm bankruptcies have surged 24% since September 2018, a few months after US trade disputes with China and other countries led to higher tariffs on key farm goods including soyabeans, cotton and dairy, according to analysis by the American Farm Bureau Federation.
                              BBC news
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I was watch this fellow on C-Span that past weekend who wrote a book on the economy. He was asked why CEO pay so outstripped the average wage over the last 30 years. One word, globalization. Of course if you can pay a worker one tenth of what you pay an American worker, with much lower regulation, the more profit for the companies, CEOs and owners. I'm a protectionist, I believe in protecting US jobs, as much as possible. Many may not like what Trump is trying to do (especially Wall Street) but at least he is trying. Bush one did nothing, Clinton did nothing, Bush two did nothing and neither did Obama. At least Trump is trying, especially with China. And I don't understand why liberals (the working man's friend) do not support this.
                                How many of Trump nicknicks are manufactured in the U.S.? I genuinely don’t know, though I’ve heard MAGA hats are manufactured overseas.

Comment