Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Maine Senate passes bill giving state's electoral votes to national pop vote winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maine Senate passes bill giving state's electoral votes to national pop vote winner

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/politics/maine-popular-vote/index.html

Maine's lawmakers passed a bill that would give the state's electoral votes to the presidential candidate who won the national popular vote, taking a step toward becoming the 15th state to enact such a law.
    The Maine Senate voted 19-16 Tuesday to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, which would give all committed states' electoral votes to the winning popular vote candidate should the group accrue the 270 votes necessary for a majority.

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington state and the District of Columbia have all committed to the pact. The most recent addition, New Mexico, put the total at 189 electoral votes.

© Copyright Original Source

All typically blue states. Imagine that...

How quick will this get abandoned if Trump wins the popular vote next election? And imagine you are Maine, and by some fluke, every single resident votes for one candidate, but the other candidate wins the popular vote. Effectively, your entire state's actual votes didn't matter. This is a prime example of TrumpOCD overriding the logic of politicians...
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Having grown up in a state that was about 67/33, if I still lived there, I would reason that such a law still increased my chance of having any voice above zero.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Wow - "a bill that would give the state's electoral votes to the presidential candidate who won the national popular vote" - so much for states' rights, when you subjugate your own state's populace to the will of the nation.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Wow - "a bill that would give the state's electoral votes to the presidential candidate who won the national popular vote" - so much for states' rights, when you subjugate your own state's populace to the will of the nation.
        Have any of these laws been contested?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          That's how bad they hate Trump. They are actually signing away their sovereignty in the election.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So basically, the choice of the state's citizens doesn't actually matter.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              That's how bad they hate Trump. They are actually signing away their sovereignty in the election.
              States have been abdicating their sovereignty to the federal government for a long, long time now.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                So basically, the choice of the state's citizens doesn't actually matter.
                Exactly. They don't even have to vote at all if they are essentially allowing the other states to pick for them
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Exactly. They don't even have to vote at all if they are essentially allowing the other states to pick for them
                  Which is ironic, because the whole point of the electoral college was to give states an equal/proportional say in who the national leader was.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

compete morons. They just gave away their state sovereignty and their own citizen's votes. Even if everyone in their state voted for candidate X and candidate Y got more votes in other states, they will invalidate every vote in their state for that other candidate. wow.

ETA - so it isn't official yet. The governor could still not sign the bill. But she is democratic, so that's probably not much hope.
                    Last edited by Sparko; 05-16-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      compete morons.
                      Yes, I believe they do.

Comment

Now the selection of a president will take four months after people voted. It will take this much time to sort through fake votes/surprise ballots/voter fraud across all states before many of these states' electoral votes will be cast.

This is true progress(ive) toward establishing the US as a banana republic. California is achieving its dream.

Comment

There may be grounds for violation of the Constitution here. We are guaranteed to have a Republic form of government. This means that the attempt to push things to a democracy has directly violated this constitutional obligation of these states

Comment

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/politics/maine-popular-vote/index.html

Maine's lawmakers passed a bill that would give the state's electoral votes to the presidential candidate who won the national popular vote, taking a step toward becoming the 15th state to enact such a law.
                            The Maine Senate voted 19-16 Tuesday to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, which would give all committed states' electoral votes to the winning popular vote candidate should the group accrue the 270 votes necessary for a majority.

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington state and the District of Columbia have all committed to the pact. The most recent addition, New Mexico, put the total at 189 electoral votes.

© Copyright Original Source

All typically blue states. Imagine that...

How quick will this get abandoned if Trump wins the popular vote next election? And imagine you are Maine, and by some fluke, every single resident votes for one candidate, but the other candidate wins the popular vote. Effectively, your entire state's actual votes didn't matter. This is a prime example of TrumpOCD overriding the logic of politicians...
                            I didn't notice the 'national' part. I just thought they were giving them to the majority vote of the state. Yeah, we agree, that is crazy. The votes should either be split per the population vote of the state or grouped based on the majority opinion of the state, not tied to the national vote. Otherwise your state has little if any real voice as an independent entity.

Jim
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              I didn't notice the 'national' part.
                              I had to do a double take on that, myself. I wanted to believe it was just a case of "all the electoral votes" for that particular state would go with the popular vote of that particular state.

I just thought they were giving them to the majority vote of the state.
                              Yeah, that.

Yeah, we agree, that is crazy. The votes should either be split per the population vote of the state or grouped based on the majority opinion of the state, not tied to the national vote. Otherwise your state has little if any real voice as an independent entity.

Jim
                              I'm hoping this will be contested, and SCOTUS will stop this insanity. (one can hope)

Comment