Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

US Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Census

So I was wondering... Even if Trump got his way and put the question about citizenship on the census, why would any illegal admit it?

They are already paranoid about the government finding them out, so why would they tell the truth about it on the census?

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    So I was wondering... Even if Trump got his way and put the question about citizenship on the census, why would any illegal admit it?

They are already paranoid about the government finding them out, so why would they tell the truth about it on the census?
    It's asking about citizenship, not illegality. There are many people who live here legally who are not citizens.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

And there are citizens who are living illegally.

I didn't get counted in the last census. I will have to put me down twice in the coming census.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        It's asking about citizenship, not illegality. There are many people who live here legally who are not citizens.
        True, but the whole controversy is about how many illegal aliens are in the country, which the democrats seem to want to suppress and Trump wants to know. I can see someone with a green card answering they are not a citizen, but I would think any illegal alien would be too paranoid to do so. It might be "anonymous" but I would think they would be too cautious, worrying they could be found out.

Comment

True, but the whole controversy is about how many illegal aliens are in the country, which the democrats seem to want to suppress and Trump wants to know. I can see someone with a green card answering they are not a citizen, but I would think any illegal alien would be too paranoid to do so. It might be "anonymous" but I would think they would be too cautious, worrying they could be found out.
          Well, balance that with being found out for lying on the census form.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            And there are citizens who are living illegally.

I didn't get counted in the last census. I will have to put me down twice in the coming census.
            Are you still gonna claim you're Chinese?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, balance that with being found out for lying on the census form.
              The fact that they have penalties shows that it isn't as anonymous as they claim so the illegals should probably lie, since a fine for getting caught wouldn't matter much since they would also be being deported. Better to take the chance.

Comment

Yes. And my other person is Zulu

Comment

The general plan from conservatives seems to be that if they receive a census form that doesn't ask the citizenship question, they'll just pitch it in the trash.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    The general plan from conservatives seems to be that if they receive a census form that doesn't ask the citizenship question, they'll just pitch it in the trash.
                    That would help compensate for illegal migrants being counted. Greater accuracy in the census count is a good goal. Imagine California losing half of its representatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      That would be monumentally stupid. "Hey, let's help the liberals even more by being UNDERcounted!"

sigpic

Comment

While I don't fully understand why people would oppose a citizenship question, I do not agree with the Trump administration effectively violating a Supreme Court ruling to make it happen.

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

That would be monumentally stupid. "Hey, let's help the liberals even more by being UNDERcounted!"
                          Yeah, not so great a plan.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            While I don't fully understand why people would oppose a citizenship question, I do not agree with the Trump administration effectively violating a Supreme Court ruling to make it happen.

Jim
                            Yeah same here since he pretty much stacked the SCOTUS to his side, he should at least go by their ruling on it. But they didn't say it was unconstitutional or anything, they just said his reasoning wasn't sufficient or some such. The question used to be on the census and I see no problem with it. I also don't see that it would really work because illegals would probably lie on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Yeah, not so great a plan.
                              Not to mention illegal.

Comment