Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Do you know why many are blowing this off? Because the media has spent years turning everything into a crisis, so now many simply don’t believe them.
    And no possibility of actually looking at the evidence?

Comment

• In London, the British Army are converting the Excel centre into a 4000 beds covid hospital.

Fox News, and therefore Trump, plan to ease restrictions.

Sean Hannity is hiding the cure?
      On the same day, Sean Hannity touted a letter from a New York State doctor, whom he didn’t name, claiming to be treating covid-19 patients with a “regimen” of commonplace drugs, with “zero deaths.”
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...034_story.html
      Last edited by firstfloor; 03-25-2020, 02:54 AM.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Come now, you didn't simply "call out the behaviour for what it is", you had to get your own dig in with "Congratulations - you've achieved the social maturity of an adolescent," and you now double-down with the insulting rhetoric (implying that I'm really not a Christian, and that I live in my parent's basement). As long as you're "calling out the behavior for what it is", you could at least be honest about your own conduct.
        I acknowledge that the "congratulations" was sarcastic/ironic. It's a fault of mine, a mistake I made more than once as a parent. And yes, it is a bit adolescent too, and for it I apologize. The rest was simply a statement of fact: you are demonstrating the social maturity of an adolescent.

As for the rest, I listed three separate things, and you have assumed two of them apply to you. I was referring to three kinds of trolls commonly encountered: Mr. Trump, people on this forum who call themselves Christian, and the classic "person in their parent's basement." I said nothing about you "not being Christian." I have no idea how "calling themselves Christian" translates into "you're not Christian. I've been fairly clear in the past - I do not make calls on who is or is not Christian. I leave that to the person making the claim. If you see trolling as perfectly justified Christian behavior - then that is part of how you define Christian and you are not going to hear an objection from me.

And this is my last post on this topic. This exchange is right out of the JPH book of discourse: turn the claim back on the claimant. By the philosophy you're espousing, any parent who corrects a child, any minister who corrects a congregant, any friend who challenges a friend, is acting no better than the person they are correcting/challenging. That notion is ridiculous on its face. You have acknowledged trolling - I simply gave it a name. Personally, I think you should stop. It produces nothing. But I'll leave you to the last word and to your continued choice of actions.
        Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-25-2020, 03:38 AM.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Do you know why many are blowing this off? Because the media has spent years turning everything into a crisis, so now many simply don’t believe them.
          The discussion was about the contribution that the "priority of the economy" is making, mostly to those on the right. It is largely from the right that we are getting calls to ignore or minimize the outbreak, and those are mostly based on fears about the state of the economy. The other narrative is "the left is spinning this because they are anti-Trump." Scroll back through this thread and you will see both as themes winding through the entire thread. I have not seen anyone introduce the "cry wolf" narrative, though I have to admit I have not read every single post - so it may be there.

The left appears to be mostly operating in fear of the outbreak. I'm not seeing a "cry wolf" phenomenon there either. I'm sure that some people are rejecting the phenomenon on the basis of "crying wolf," but I have not seen that as a major theme in any venue. If you have, where have you seen this objection being made?
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            I'm talking about the trend lines, MM. Trump downplayed the virus, and his base and the right media supported him and the "chicken little" narrative started - Dems are overblowing this as their new hoax, etc. Trump converted to "we have a problem" and the "chicken little" narrative paused for a few days. Now Trump says, "maybe we're over-reacting," and many on the right fall right back into line and parrot the narrative.
            No, I've been ahead of Bad Orange Man on the "overreacting" thing, insofar as it relates to the "cure is worse than the disease" concept.

I'm concerned about damage to the economy (which is not, BTW, just "mammon," you jackanapes), mental health, and societal cohesion.

This is the dynamic I am seeing. Trump says "Chinese Virus" and his base begins to parrot it almost across the board, though now it's "Chicom," apparently. ...
            Wrong again, ass. I was happy using the proper technical terms until the libtard media, which itself had been freely using terms like "Wuhan virus," suddenly decreed those terms to be RACIST!!!!! -- whether because they had the silly idea they could effectively use them to bludgeon Bad Orange Man, or because they wanted to suck up to their barbaric subhuman Chicom masters, or whatever. Since then, I am morally compelled to use terms such as Kung Flu, and will continue to do so.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Lockdown of more than about two weeks likely to cause mental health epidemic.

"Deaths of Despair" could outpace virus deaths if shutdown continues to harm economy.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Are you really arguing that you think there will be a mental health epidemic coming with a lockdown, and that depression will become so severe that despair will become a greater threat than this novel coronavirus?

Are you you using the (supposedly) discredited "someone, somewhere-argues-that- so-therefore-all- say-that" line?

Comment

• People from NYC are flooding my county - some have summer homes here others are renting houses. The locals are not happy!
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    People from NYC are flooding my county - some have summer homes here others are renting houses. The locals are not happy!
                    Hide the wimmin and childrin, grab yer pitchforks and tiki torches!

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      That is no excuse. All you need to do is look at the data to realize this is real.
                      Sure it is. When you cry wolf and no wolf is present. People stop listening. As I have been saying, for years, nobody will believe the media when a real crisis shows up.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                        And no possibility of actually looking at the evidence?
                        The evidence of manufactured crisis, is hard to ignore.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                          The discussion was about the contribution that the "priority of the economy" is making, mostly to those on the right. It is largely from the right that we are getting calls to ignore or minimize the outbreak, and those are mostly based on fears about the state of the economy. The other narrative is "the left is spinning this because they are anti-Trump." Scroll back through this thread and you will see both as themes winding through the entire thread. I have not seen anyone introduce the "cry wolf" narrative, though I have to admit I have not read every single post - so it may be there.

The left appears to be mostly operating in fear of the outbreak. I'm not seeing a "cry wolf" phenomenon there either. I'm sure that some people are rejecting the phenomenon on the basis of "crying wolf," but I have not seen that as a major theme in any venue. If you have, where have you seen this objection being made?
                          You’re still ignoring the cause. I’ve been saying, for years now, that the decision to make everything a crisis, for political gain, is dangerous. Liberals only have themselves to blame if few heed their warnings after years of creating crisis only for their to be none.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The evidence of manufactured crisis, is hard to ignore.
                            Paranoia Derangement Syndrome?

The 10 plagues of Egypt were a manufactured crises, SARS-CoV-2 is not.

Comment

Are you really arguing that you think there will be a mental health epidemic coming with a lockdown, and that depression will become so severe that despair will become a greater threat than this novel coronavirus?

Are you you using the (supposedly) discredited "someone, somewhere-argues-that- so-therefore-all- say-that" line?
                              It actually seems reasonable. I can stand it just fine because of my introvert nature. I’m sure this will drive those with an extrovert nature, crazy.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Paranoia Derangement Syndrome?

The 10 plagues of Egypt were a manufactured crises, SARS-CoV-2 is not.
                                And again:

Boy cried wolf, several times, no wolf present. Wolf finally shows up, nobody believes him, wolf kills entire flock. Thanks media!
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment