Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Within days, U.S. spy agencies were signaling the seriousness of the threat..."

What does that mean? How did they "signal" it? What was the actual language? What was the recommendation?

It's vague language like that that makes these "news" stories worthless.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      "Within days, U.S. spy agencies were signaling the seriousness of the threat..."

What does that mean? How did they "signal" it? What was the actual language? What was the recommendation?

Maybe if you read the links?

ETA: Here - let me help, not that it will do any good. I'm sure you've already made your decisions on the issue and no amount of actual information will dissuade THAT.
      Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-04-2020, 09:04 PM.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedmprig View Post
        I'm not paying to read the Washington Compost.

Comment

I'm not paying to read the Washington Compost.
          Awww... here...let me help you with a free version. It's not as detailed as the post report, so I'm sure you will find a reason to hand-wave it way...

But at least I tried...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

"Within days, U.S. spy agencies were signaling the seriousness of the threat..."

Obviously that article is beyond your intellectual capacities. Now go run around and play with the five-year-olds.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedmprig View Post
              Awww... here...let me help you with a free version. It's not as detailed as the post report, so I'm sure you will find a reason to hand-wave it way...

But at least I tried...
              Intelligence agencies “have been warning on this since January,” said a U.S. official who had access to intelligence reporting...

January... January... hmmm... isn't that when Trump restricted travel to China, a decision that was condemned as racist by liberals but has been praised by Dr. Fauci as the right decision at the right time?

Comment

Intelligence agencies “have been warning on this since January,” said a U.S. official who had access to intelligence reporting...

January... January... hmmm... isn't that when Trump restricted travel to China, a decision that was condemned as racist by liberals but has been praised by Dr. Fauci as the right decision at the right time?
                Wow, Trump at least did one thing right. Must be why he keeps bringing it up, since it's about the only thing he's done right. The thing is, most airlines had already suspended travel from China.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  Trump and Fauci make so many contradictions and the only firm fact is they cannot do anything about the coronavirus.
                  The Triune God is our best hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                    The Triune God is our best hope.
                    He’s not doing any better than Trump.
                    No, your best and only hope is to obtain and follow the best scientific advice, and respond at a Federal level. Regrettably, the C in C is an idiot, and not the “stable genius” you thought he was.
                    Last edited by firstfloor; 04-05-2020, 05:04 AM.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Latest numbers -

April 1: 26,473 new cases and 1,049 new deaths
                      April 2: 29,874 new cases and 974 new deaths
                      April 3: 32,284 new cases and 1,045 new deaths
                      April 4: 34,196 new cases and 1,331 new deaths

There was a slowdown on April 2 in the new death numbers. But it now looks like an anomaly. So the question, when do we reach the inflection point, remains to be seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

ETA: Here - let me help, not that it will do any good. I'm sure you've already made your decisions on the issue and no amount of actual information will dissuade THAT.
                        Carp why would Trump listen to them when our top Doc on this (Fauci) was saying as late as Feb.24 that it was no big deal (as I linked)? He was the one who had Trump's ear daily. I mean he and his team are the experts - correct?
                        Last edited by seer; 04-05-2020, 05:26 AM.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

But at least I tried...
                          You accusing someone of hand waving things off is like water accusing something of being wet.

It is your modus operandi whenever something doesn't fit into the narrative you have crafted. I mean hand waving something off is known around here as "doing a carpe"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Statistically, 37.9% of U.S. Households made under $50K per year in 2018. That leaves 62.1% that make more than that. The majority of U.S. households are at or above $50K.
                            Getting back to this just briefly...

My town straddles the border of two counties in PA.

In one of them, Beaver, median household income is a bit under $56k. The town is mostly in Lawrence, where the median household income is a bit under $49k. In comparison, the median household income nationwide is almost $62k.

This may account for some of my differing perceptions.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              So much for Carp’s claim that it will be the right to turn on Fauci. Looks like it’s the left.
                              Forget Fauci, I just want to know who it was that turned on the faucet.

Comment

Italy: Banned inbound travelers from China one day after first infection found, and closure was absolute (all travelers).
                                U.S.: Banned inbound travelers from China who were not U.S. citizens 11 days after first infection found with 11 exceptions (including such small places as Hong Kong).

And yes, Dems were wrong to condemn the action, but given 4+ years of anti-immigration action from the Trump administration, their objection was wrong but understandable. Everyone was in "is this going to be a thing?" mode at that time.

There is not much reason to overly praise the administration here. They took a minimal action which was followed by piecemeal border closures for the next six weeks. And there is STILL no nationwide "shelter-in-place" order (8 states, all red, are still not issuing them) or limits on interstate travel.

Comment