Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Shopper in KKK hood won't face charges...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopper in KKK hood won't face charges...

What could they charge him with in the first place? Even if he was a racist - that is not illegal...

The customer who shopped at a grocery store while wearing a face covering that resembled a Ku Klux Klan hood will not face charges, police announced Monday.

The San Diego County Sheriff’s Department said in a press release that the department did not find sufficient evidence to charge the man who wore the apparent KKK hood to a Vons supermarket in Santee, Calif., on May 2. The U.S. attorney’s office and the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office were consulted in the decision.

“The man expressed frustration with the coronavirus and having people tell him what he can and cannot do,” the release said. “He said that wearing the hood was not intended to be a racial statement. In summary he said, ‘It was a mask and it was stupid.’”

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...t-face-charges
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    What could they charge him with in the first place? Even if he was a racist - that is not illegal...
    Depends:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-mask_law

I like the comment at the end. Nothing really changes.

Source: above

There are anti-mask laws in many U.S. states and the District of Columbia.[1]

New York State's anti-mask law was enacted in 1845, to provide for public safety after disputes between landlords and tenants.[2]
    Many anti-mask laws date back to the mid-20th century, when states and municipalities passed them to stop the violent activities of the Ku Klux Klan, whose members typically wore hoods of white linen to conceal their identities.[3][4]
    In the 21st century those laws have been applied to political protesters such as those affiliated with the Occupy Movement or Anonymous – wearing Guy Fawkes masks.[5][6][7][8]
    In some areas motorcyclists have been arrested using anti-masking laws.[9]
    These laws have been challenged on the grounds that they violate the guarantees of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution to free speech and free association. Some courts have weighed freedom of speech against the public safety interest, and upheld such laws. For example, the Georgia Supreme Court found the law constitutional on the grounds that the wearing of the mask was an act of intimidation and a threat of violence, which is not protected speech.[10] That law has exceptions for holiday celebrations, theatre performances, and occupational safety; the ruling makes it unclear if someone is violating the law if they wear a mask without the intent to threaten violence. A three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit upheld a New York law on the ground that wearing a Ku Klux Klan mask did not convey a protected message beyond that conveyed by wearing a hood and robe.[2] Other courts have struck down anti-mask laws. For example, Tennessee and Florida state laws have been invalidated on the grounds that they were unconstitutionally broad.[10] An ordinance in Goshen, Indiana, was struck down based on First Amendment doctrine that specifically protects anonymous speech and anonymous association, especially for unpopular groups like the KKK.[2]

During the 1918 influenza pandemic in San Francisco, California, a group of citizens that included doctors and several city supervisors formed an "Anti-Mask League" after becoming frustrated with mandated mask-wearing.[11]

© Copyright Original Source

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

A lot of jurisdictions have suspended their anti-mask laws during the pandemic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

All anti-mask laws should be struck down as unconstitutional.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          A lot of jurisdictions have suspended their anti-mask laws during the pandemic.
          This is why our banks have an "appointment only" policy right now. You can't just walk in wearing a mask.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            Depends:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-mask_law

I like the comment at the end. Nothing really changes.

Source: above

There are anti-mask laws in many U.S. states and the District of Columbia.[1]

New York State's anti-mask law was enacted in 1845, to provide for public safety after disputes between landlords and tenants.[2]
            Many anti-mask laws date back to the mid-20th century, when states and municipalities passed them to stop the violent activities of the Ku Klux Klan, whose members typically wore hoods of white linen to conceal their identities.[3][4]
            In the 21st century those laws have been applied to political protesters such as those affiliated with the Occupy Movement or Anonymous – wearing Guy Fawkes masks.[5][6][7][8]
            In some areas motorcyclists have been arrested using anti-masking laws.[9]
            These laws have been challenged on the grounds that they violate the guarantees of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution to free speech and free association. Some courts have weighed freedom of speech against the public safety interest, and upheld such laws. For example, the Georgia Supreme Court found the law constitutional on the grounds that the wearing of the mask was an act of intimidation and a threat of violence, which is not protected speech.[10] That law has exceptions for holiday celebrations, theatre performances, and occupational safety; the ruling makes it unclear if someone is violating the law if they wear a mask without the intent to threaten violence. A three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit upheld a New York law on the ground that wearing a Ku Klux Klan mask did not convey a protected message beyond that conveyed by wearing a hood and robe.[2] Other courts have struck down anti-mask laws. For example, Tennessee and Florida state laws have been invalidated on the grounds that they were unconstitutionally broad.[10] An ordinance in Goshen, Indiana, was struck down based on First Amendment doctrine that specifically protects anonymous speech and anonymous association, especially for unpopular groups like the KKK.[2]

During the 1918 influenza pandemic in San Francisco, California, a group of citizens that included doctors and several city supervisors formed an "Anti-Mask League" after becoming frustrated with mandated mask-wearing.[11]

© Copyright Original Source

But then if they charged this guy under such a law, they would have to charge everyone else wearing a mask too.

Comment

Would they have even dreamed of trying to charge someone for wearing a "Black Lives Matter" mask?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Would they have even dreamed of trying to charge someone for wearing a "Black Lives Matter" mask?
                Yowza
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I fail to see why a racist like that should be arrested. I’d just take a picture of him taking off the hood and mail it to his employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    I fail to see why a racist like that should be arrested. I’d just take a picture of him taking off the hood and mail it to his employer.
                    It's a strange thing, this freedom of ours. When I was police, I had to protect the local KKK group during a parade, and that was back in the early 70's.

AND, I might add, I was personally yelled at and verbally assaulted because "how can you protect these @!#!!^%!#@$! low life...."

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      It's a strange thing, this freedom of ours. When I was police, I had to protect the local KKK group during a parade, and that was back in the early 70's.
                      I’m happy to hear that.

Comment

I’m happy to hear that.
                        One time, though, several of us from our Church set up a camera on a tripod across the street from one of our local sex shops where it was known that pedophilia was on the menu (videos, etc) and filmed the men going in and out of that shop. The owner tried to sue us, but we were well within the law.

Comment

Don’t get me wrong, I never have nor will I ever engage in the practice I mentioned. But I’ll need to cut a lot of onion to shed tears about groups like that. Thankfully they’re an irrelevant minority.

I’m not fond of violent activism in general. It almost never achieves its goal.

Comment

That would assume that you actually knew the person and where they worked. And what if you were mistaken in your identification?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of doxxing or similar practices.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              That would assume that you actually knew the person and where they worked. And what if you were mistaken in your identification?
                              I’ve seen 4chan track down several people and subsequently dox them. It honestly just takes time in some cases.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of doxxing or similar practices.
                              I was being cheeky. And I agree.

Comment