Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I'm beginning to doubt Trump's relection chances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm beginning to doubt Trump's relection chances

And it's not even so much the circumstances in 2020, but the fact he keeps tweeting and retweeting some of the most imbecilic stuff imaginable and at the worse time. He's his own worse enemy. It's as if he's trying to lose reelection. I think the only hope we have at this point is that the Dem's are also their own enemy. But if they drop Biden for someone else...

I've pretty much decided to sit this one out and let the chips fall where they may.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      And it's not even so much the circumstances in 2020, but the fact he keeps tweeting and retweeting some of the most imbecilic stuff imaginable and at the worse time. He's his own worse enemy. It's as if he's trying to lose reelection.
      I'm assuming you voted for Trump in 2016; please correct me if I'm wrong:

Back then, most polls which heavily favored Clinton pointed to Trump's willingness to say things that'd normally get a candidate (effectively) disqualified, or an election loss; they were obviously wrong. Since having been voted into office, he's continued saying stuff that would otherwise get a politician into trouble.

Through all this time, support for him really hasn't wavered too much. The people who stand by him don't really seem concerned with what he says.

So I guess I'm asking why you think his latest statements (from the last 6 months?) might impact his ability to get re-elected. As far as I can tell, he can say anything he wants, with impunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
        I'm assuming you voted for Trump in 2016; please correct me if I'm wrong:

Back then, most polls which heavily favored Clinton pointed to Trump's willingness to say things that'd normally get a candidate (effectively) disqualified, or an election loss; they were obviously wrong. Since having been voted into office, he's continued saying stuff that would otherwise get a politician into trouble.

Through all this time, support for him really hasn't wavered too much. The people who stand by him don't really seem concerned with what he says.

So I guess I'm asking why you think his latest statements (from the last 6 months?) might impact his ability to get re-elected. As far as I can tell, he can say anything he wants, with impunity.
        It's not so much his statements. He was always bombastic, blunt, and petty when it came to internet "troll wars." It's the fact that I just think he's an idiot, thus incapable of planning any type of election strategy. There are so many ways he could have at least took advantage of this situation for political reasons, but he didn't. And he even made it worse. I honestly think he pretty much just threw in the towel. He's not even trying anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          It's not so much his statements. He was always bombastic, blunt, and petty when it came to internet "troll wars." It's the fact that I just think he's an idiot, thus incapable of planning any type of election strategy. There are so many ways he could have at least took advantage of this situation for political reasons, but he didn't. And he even made it worse. I honestly think he pretty much just threw in the towel. He's not even trying anymore.
          Fair enough, thanks.

Comment

Fair enough, thanks.
            Do you HAVE to be so cotton pickin agreeable?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Do you HAVE to be so cotton pickin agreeable?
              This is a web forum I haven't been on in a while, which means I have a chance to "reinvent" myself here. I'm trying to do that.

I'm sure if I spend enough time here, I will eventually morph into someone who can be pigeonholed into agreeing with only one side and always disagreeing with the other. Give it some time :)

Comment

This is a web forum I haven't been on in a while, which means I have a chance to "reinvent" myself here. I'm trying to do that.
                Ah, ok.... so, so far, you and me --- we good, yes?

I'm sure if I spend enough time here, I will eventually morph into someone who can be pigeonholed into agreeing with only one side and always disagreeing with the other. Give it some time :)
                Meh, I'm not always batting for the same team, though I'm certainly accused of that.

Comment

Ah, ok.... so, so far, you and me --- we good, yes?
                  Yes! I never meant to imply otherwise.

Even with people I routinely disagree with, I try to respond to their prima facie posts (unless I know they're habitual trolls).

Meh, I'm not always batting for the same team, though I'm certainly accused of that.
                  I'm happy when I find find people with nuanced positions, on anything. It's the ones who reject any possibility of nuance that I mistrust...

Comment

Donald Trump's approval rating has never reflected someone with a chance at re-election. That fact that today his answer remains "smash the protests" shows just how unsuited he is for the moment. All he has at this point is his narcissism and sadism.

Comment

Yes! I never meant to imply otherwise.

Even with people I routinely disagree with, I try to respond to their prima facie posts (unless I know they're habitual trolls).

I'm happy when I find find people with nuanced positions, on anything. It's the ones who reject any possibility of nuance that I mistrust...
                      Mind you, I don't claim I have no bias.... I just TRY to look at the facts before jumping to conclusions, even though it will invoke cries of "CP is supporting....."

Comment

I think he'll be re-elected. The US Democrats haven't launched a strong enough push. I'd be surprised if Trump manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          I think he'll be re-elected. The US Democrats haven't launched a strong enough push.victory.
                          To be fair, the last 4 months have been dominated by pandemic; I don't think any party could launch a strong campaign under the same conditions.

I'm not saying Trump wont be re-elected. I just think that this particular electoral history is unlike everything any living US voter has ever encountered; we should be careful of holding it to "normal" standards.

Comment

To be fair, the last 4 months have been dominated by pandemic; I don't think any party could launch a strong campaign under the same conditions.

I'm not saying Trump wont be re-elected. I just think that this particular electoral history is unlike everything any living US voter has ever encountered; we should be careful of holding it to "normal" standards.
                            You don't need to do much to launch a strong campaign. Just stop saying stupid crap on twitter. Even if you have to fake like being a politician, Trump can't do that for just a few days? No, because Trump just isn't that intelligent. The left is definitely right in that regard. He's not playing 4-d chess because he's an imbecile. I could think of at least three or four ways I could use this crisis to my advantage, one of them being Biden's "you ain't black" comment. What does Trump do? He tweets about "skanks" and Scarborugh conspiracies. Come on, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              I think he'll be re-elected. The US Democrats haven't launched a strong enough push. I'd be surprised if Trump manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
                              Yeah, for the past four years the Democrats have pretty much done everything but what they ACTUALLY need to do to defeat Trump so, barring a miracle or outright cheating and getting away with it, I foresee him getting a second term.
                              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment