Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

On "Closing Church"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Praise God!
    Wow - my Ministry Coordinator just told me we got ANOTHER TEN THOUSAND today!!!! (or, yesterday, counted today)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Wow - my Ministry Coordinator just told me we got ANOTHER TEN THOUSAND today!!!! (or, yesterday, counted today)
      You've become a TV evangelist!

Comment

You've become a TV evangelist!
        I'm doing it backwards, though -- NOT begging for money, and it comes rolling in.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm doing it backwards, though -- NOT begging for money, and it comes rolling in.
          Don't go buying a yacht and telling us that God told you to!

Comment

Don't go buying a yacht and telling us that God told you to!
            Laughing.... there was a $10,000 check recently... well, lemme back up.....

My Ministry Coordinator came into my office and said, "I know you don't like to see these, but I thought this might be an exception". She handed me a very nice card from a member, thanking me and our Church for ministering to her, but letting us know she had sold her home and was moving to Houston.

I told my MC, "why would I mind seeing this, I don't get it".

She said, look what's attached --- it was a check for TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. She was tithing on the profit for the sale of her home.

Don't know WHY the serial $10,000 amounts.

(the reason my MC thought this was different is because this person would no longer be with us, and my objection to seeing the amounts of money anybody gives is because I don't want it to 'color' my ministry to them)

Comment

• I know you will put it to good use, helping others!

Comment

I know you will put it to good use, helping others!
                Our mission organizations should be happy, because we have an automatic percentage of any income that goes to them --- when we get a bump, they do, too.
                When we get a surplus, yeah, we share that, too.

Because we send most requests for assistance to a local care organization (the one I'm involved in), we like to make sure we fund them, as well.

And, you can imagine, in these troubled times, they're REALLY getting hit up for services and assistance.

Comment

Don't know WHY the serial $10,000 amounts.
                  Sounds like the Bank Secrecy Act, or the Currency And Foreign Transactions Reporting Act, which was enacted in 1970. Banks are required by law to report any deposits greater than $10,000.00 to the IRS using Form 8300.
                  Last edited by Faber; 06-01-2020, 08:18 PM.
                  When I Survey....

Comment

• Originally posted by Faber View Post
                    Sounds like the Bank Secrecy Act, or the Currency And Foreign Transactions Reporting Act, which was enacted in 1970. Banks are required by law to report any deposits greater than $10,000.00 to the IRS using Form 8300.
                    I'm suspecting it was some of that, yes.

Comment

• Something I've been thinking about... If churches are allowed to reopen with limited numbers, how does that affect the situation with visitors? Are visitors going to be actively discouraged, or just not allowed? Does this provide an incentive for churches not to reach out to the community?
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Something I've been thinking about... If churches are allowed to reopen with limited numbers, how does that affect the situation with visitors? Are visitors going to be actively discouraged, or just not allowed? Does this provide an incentive for churches not to reach out to the community?
                        In our case, we've had MORE visitors. We've had at least 6 families whose churches have not opened. And, in our situation, there's no limit on % of space or anything like that - it's entirely up to us to comply with social distancing standards.

A lot of our membership consists of older, more susceptible people, and, for the most part, they have been watching on the internet. Younger families have shown up to worship with us.

Even though one of the churches reopened, the family has come back to our Church because they like our music and preaching better.

It's tough, though, because I don't feel free to "pursue them", since they're members of other Churches, but I don't want them to not feel welcome.

Comment

• We've had some visitors on our ON line services. And OLD people came back too. Just started with the morning in person services and I THINK I saw one new family. But it's so hard when everybody looks like train robbers.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Something I've been thinking about... If churches are allowed to reopen with limited numbers, how does that affect the situation with visitors? Are visitors going to be actively discouraged, or just not allowed? Does this provide an incentive for churches not to reach out to the community?
                            Right now, we have people attending in 4 rotating groups; the 4th group is not full, so that's when we've encouraged visitors to come. We have 4 or 5 people who are interested in joining, which is more than we've had at once for quite some time.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• I have one pastor friend who posted on Facebook at the beginning of the pandemic (March) back when they were allowing churches to socially distance that they were not welcoming visitors to the service to allow for the social distancing to be possible, so that's what I had in mind. I had no idea how widespread that is.

In that case, I think the options would more realistically be either do it online or civil disobedience, and I think the latter isn't the best option at this point in time. If this was still going on two years later, that would be different.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• We are taking a step back.
                                Cases in our area are increasing.
                                Out of an abundance of caution, we are cancelling, for at least 2 weeks, all services and programs except those where we can easily comply with recommendations from Austin.

No more baby nursery, children's activities, Children and youth Sunday School, ancillary programs...

The only thing we're meeting for now is Sunday Morning (lots of room to spread out), Wednesday night (skipping the fellowship meal) and men's meeting (plenty of room to spread out).

We will do this for at least 2 weeks, then reevaluate.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X