Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NASCAR bans confederate flag from all events.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR bans confederate flag from all events.

After racer Bubba Wallace calls for it, NASCAR bans confederate flag from all events. Wallace drives a car with the insignia "BLACK LIVES MATTER."
    www.cnn.com/2020/06/10/us/nascar-bans-confederate-flag-spt-trnd/index.html

If you needed proof that a tectonic shift is underway in this country this is a pretty good indication.

Comment

The cars will still go fast and turn left.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        The cars will still go fast and turn left.

Left seems appropriate.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          After racer Bubba Wallace calls for it, NASCAR bans confederate flag from all events. Wallace drives a car with the insignia "BLACK LIVES MATTER."
          The other drivers and NASCAR owners now need to get on their knees and apologize for their white privilege...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            The other drivers and NASCAR owners now need to get on their knees and apologize for their white privilege...

Oh, my Lord Jesus Christ, please come soon!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh, my Lord Jesus Christ, please come soon!
              These leftists will never be happy....
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

These leftists will never be happy....
                If somebody had posted that video even two years ago, I bet we'd have some of our liberals decrying that as fake, or "would NEVER happen"....

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  This happened at roughly the same time as HBO Now decided to not show movies like Gone With The Wind. I thought the HBO thing was "meh": politically/socially relevant, but not worthy of much approval/ire.

The NASCAR thing seems to cut deeper, though. Racing is clearly more of a southern / midwest thing, and both of those geographies are stereotypically white conservative. It's easy to find images of people with beefed-up cars sporting the rebel flag, as if driving fast is somehow rebellious and patriotic at the same time. NASCAR taking a stand against this symbolism is much more significant.

On the whole, I haven't been to a single NASCAR event, and I don't remember ever having watched more than a few minutes of Gone With The Wind; neither of these stories means much to me. However, it seems obvious that a southern icon taking a stand against another southern icon is big news.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                    This happened at roughly the same time as HBO Now decided to not show movies like Gone With The Wind. I thought the HBO thing was "meh": politically/socially relevant, but not worthy of much approval/ire.

The NASCAR thing seems to cut deeper, though. Racing is clearly more of a southern / midwest thing, and both of those geographies are stereotypically white conservative. It's easy to find images of people with beefed-up cars sporting the rebel flag, as if driving fast is somehow rebellious and patriotic at the same time. NASCAR taking a stand against this symbolism is much more significant.

On the whole, I haven't been to a single NASCAR event, and I don't remember ever having watched more than a few minutes of Gone With The Wind; neither of these stories means much to me. However, it seems obvious that a southern icon taking a stand against another southern icon is big news.
                    GWTW was a favorite of my mom and sister (perhaps not so much now). It's a classic, but an artifact of a different era. I've never understood parading the confederate flag. All it means to me is support for slavery. But I realize it means other things to other people.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Absolutely outrageous! And what a spineless woman to allow anyone to do that to her!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        Absolutely outrageous! And what a spineless woman to allow anyone to do that to her!
                        If that little snit tried that on my wife or daughters...

Comment

A trivial search would reveal that this video is, per its creator, comedy / satire.

Comment

If that little snit tried that on my wife or daughters...

I would not have done what she did. I wonder if it was a set up, though. Another BLM supporter who just "happened" to be walking down the street and confronted, perhaps. Seems just a bit off to me.
                            Last edited by mossrose; 06-12-2020, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                              A trivial search would reveal that this video is, per its creator, comedy / satire.
                              The problem is that the very worst parody or satire or whatever is not very far at all from the idiocy we've seen from the extreme fringe left.

Comment