Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Retweeting Hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    well...

Source: Akan people

The ashantis waged wars on neighboring states in their geographic area to capture people and sell them as slaves to Europeans (Portuguese) who subsequently sold the enslaved people along with guns to the Ashantis in exchange for Akan gold. Akan gold was also used to purchase slaves from further up north via the Trans-Saharan route. The Ashantis purchased slaves to help clear the dense forests within Ashanti. About a third of the population of many Akan states were indentured servants (i.e. Non-Akan peoples). The Ashantis went from buyers of slaves to selling slaves as the dynamics in the Gold Coast and the New World changed. Thus, the Ashanti people played a role in supplying Europeans with indentured servants, who were later enslaved for the trans-Atlantic slave trade. In 2006 Ghana apologized to the descendants of slaves for the role the Ashantis had played in the slave trade.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

So pandering Pelosi and suck up Schumer were wearing the kentes of those who captured and sold slaves.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46139[/ATTACH]

Kind of fitting for those who want blacks to remain on the Democrat plantation
    Still has absolutely nothing to do with Kente cloth, which is simply a symbol of the culture far older then the historical slavery issue. By your measure we should not wear any style clothes of cultures that participated in slavery in the past, and of course burn all Bibles, because they have laws for the regulation of slavery, and it does not forbid slavery.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

So pandering Pelosi and suck up Schumer were wearing the kentes of those who captured and sold slaves.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46139[/ATTACH]
      I remember posers like these two getting beat up in junior high. The masquerade is just so incredibly phony.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
        Trump retweeted a video of a man shouting white power.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe...-in-the-video/

Many here concede Trump is a malignant narcissist but not a racist. I disagree.
        I propose that’s it’s not that hard to convey you’re not racist and that Trump has failed spectacularly at that.
        Because of this incident, I am convinced now that Trump is on his way out.

Based on what his family and staff are saying, he doesn't seem very interested in damage control. He doesn't seem to care anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Based on what his family and staff are saying, he doesn't seem very interested in damage control. He doesn't seem to care anymore.
          Did he ever?

Early on, he was quoted as saying he thought being POTUS was going to be easier than his other job(s).

Comment

I remember posers like these two getting beat up in junior high. The masquerade is just so incredibly phony.
            No, Trump standing in front of the church holding up a bible was masquerading as a phoney? What Congress was doing was showing support and solidarity with the protestors and there fight to reform police brutality against black people.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              No, Trump standing in front of the church holding up a bible was masquerading as a phoney?
              That too. At least he wasn't posing with his hands on his hips. But yeah, it was incredibly phony.

What Congress was doing was showing support and solidarity with the protestors and there fight to reform police brutality against black people.
              No, what they were doing was ignorantly pandering. It was so Hollywood looking; stagey acting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                Did he ever?

Early on, he was quoted as saying he thought being POTUS was going to be easier than his other job(s).
                I'm sure every president has felt that way at that stage (five months into it). But since then he's been on a constant defensive. I'm sure it is tiring - and deflating for someone who needs to be flattered to be hammered all the time.

But whatever his reasoning, if he isn't going to put any effort into it then I am voting Libertarian.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Selling products under the Trump name is one of Trump's ventures. That's what he was doing in this case. Bought beef, rebranded it as "Trump Steaks" then sold them (and afaik still sells them) in his restaurants/hotels and also used to sell them in some store that stopped selling them because they were too expensive (hence them ending up on a "failed" business list).
                  I believe the question is, did he create a separate business for each brand, or did he have a single business with multiple products under the "Trump" name.

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Anyway, counting failed businesses is a bad way to count whether someone is a good businessman and counting failed brands is even worse. As I said earlier I know guys with 1-2 dozen failed brands who run successful businesses and are multi-millionaires. It would be absurd to call them "failed businessmen". Failure is a normal part of business and life.
                  If the measure of success is "how rich is he?" then Trump is apparently successful - though we have not seen his tax returns to know that. And the annual statements he is required to file provide is with little no insight and we have no way of knowing how truthful they are. Trump has a documented history of falsifying his financial position to achieve his desired ends, inflating his worth when looking for loans and reducing his worth when reporting for tax or bankruptcy purposes.

But if your measure of "success" is more about what you have contributed to the world, Trump is a miserable failure. His history is littered with people he stiffed, others he bullied, and still more he just outright conned. He is now in the midst of his greatest con of all, and has most of the Republican party completely under his sway.

He is a miserable excuse for a human being, and we are now seeing the results of putting such a miserable excuse for a human being in the most powerful office in the land.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    Do you think House Dems like Pelosi are supporters of slavery because they wore Kente Cloth?
                    I have no clue what this means.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      I have no clue what this means.
                      USA Today --- Fact check: Yes, Kente cloths were historically worn by empire involved in West African slave trade

Our rating: True

We rate the claim that kente cloth was historically worn by the Asante people of Ghana, who were involved in the West African slave trade TRUE because it is supported by our research. Although kente cloth does have ties to slavery, it is more widely recognized as a modern symbol of pride in African American culture and pride in cultural ties to West Africa.

One of those little twists of History.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I doubt that to be the case. Though I don't doubt he may want out, I doubt he'd use this incident to do it. He still wants to make money outside of politics and he still has a brand. I doubt he'd personally want to tarnish that brand by making the country think he's a white supremacist. All he has to do is keep doing what he's doing now: nothing strategically to attack Biden in any intelligent or coherent manner. The most logical conclusion is that he's a self-centered idiot. Like KG said, he either saw some folks defending him against protesters, liked that and quickly retweeted it without watching the whole thing or he didn't hear what the guy said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                          A rather duplicitous reply, albeit with some truth to it. Slavery is not a white on black horror. Indeed the entire ancient world operated on slavery in various forms.

However, I do hope being a good Christian you have never worn those infidel/heathen pyjamas.
                          As a matter of fact... Either underwear or nothing at all (and the latter for the last 35-40 years).

You claimed that what I said was duplicitous and only contained "some truth to it." Perhaps you would care to enlighten us by pointing out the parts that were inaccurate.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            Still has absolutely nothing to do with Kente cloth, which is simply a symbol of the culture far older then the historical slavery issue. By your measure we should not wear any style clothes of cultures that participated in slavery in the past, and of course burn all Bibles, because they have laws for the regulation of slavery, and it does not forbid slavery.
                            By the left's own standards what pandering Pelosi and suck up Schumer did was blatant cultural appropriation done to exploit a situation for their personal benefit. But of course all of that doesn't count when a leftist does it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That too. At least he wasn't posing with his hands on his hips. But yeah, it was incredibly phony.
                              I think Schumer's faux "Buffalo stance" was far more cringe worthy.

Comment

I think Schumer's faux "Buffalo stance" was far more cringe worthy.
                                Really? Pelosi's gesture looks like she just said "You go to bed without your dinner, young man!" after her three-year-old great great great great grandson just drew a crayon picture on her walls.

Schumer looks to have both his arms folded, which is really weird when wearing a tight dress jacket. He probably ripped the seams in the back.

Comment