Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal fireworks over LA

Does my heart good!

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Yay. I heard some about the celebration of freedom. May people's hearts be focused on freedom, on independence again. I heard smaller but loud fireworks in my area. I was filling up gas while a sheriff's deputy was. I was seeing if he was inclined to seek out the source. He didn't seem inclined.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      Yay. I heard some about the celebration of freedom. May people's hearts be focused on freedom, on independence again. I heard smaller but loud fireworks in my area. I was filling up gas while a sheriff's deputy was. I was seeing if he was inclined to seek out the source. He didn't seem inclined.
      We live just outside the city limits*, on a hill, and have a commanding view of the countryside around us. From ALL DIRECTIONS we could see various fireworks displays - some of them pretty impressive.

*Fireworks are not allowed in city limits.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I read a comment elsewhere today that said "It's a shame when being proud of our Independence Day is suddenly a bad thing"
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Were fireworks banned altogether or only in city limits?

Were they cancelled because of weather? Because of covid? Because of rioting? Because of not wanting to set off any more riots?

I don't understand..........

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Were they cancelled because of weather? Because of covid? Because of rioting? Because of not wanting to set off any more riots?

Some states, like North Carolina, I believe, totally ban them. Most other places they seemed to be banned in city limits.

We have a "fire ban" from time to time, if it's been too dry, no open burning OR fireworks.

As long as the "fire ban" is not "on", they can be used outside city limits.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

The weather was perfect. The general bans of professional fireworks and personal fireworks was supposed to keep people form gathering too closely -- that was at least what they were saying.

Like CP just mentioned. There are localities where there are bans in California. This is often due to the possibility of starting brush fires.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                The weather was perfect. The general bans of professional fireworks and personal fireworks was supposed to keep people form gathering too closely -- that was at least what they were saying.
                Ah, so that was actually Covid related!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Ah, so that was actually Covid related!
                  Right. Because of coronavirus, we are not supposed to have fun.

Comment

Several years ago, when fireworks were banned in a county in which I lived, there was a guy who LOVED doing fireworks, and he would buy the BIGGIES.

So, he fixed up the bed of his pickup truck as a mobile fireworks platform, and would drive from neighborhood to neighborhood doing a "shoot and scoot".
                    It was kind of a fun thing, because if the cops showed up, nobody knew where he went or what color truck or ... "gosh, I don't know, he was here, then he was gone!"

Comment

Comment

Ok. I wondered if it was just personal fireworks that was banned. Some are illegal in Canada.

I know some states might ban them for fire safety concerns, and I figured CA might be one of those.

For our Dominion Day celebrations, our town still set off fireworks but didn't want anybody around to see them. They were going to make sure they were high enough so everybody could see them but because of covid they didn't want gatherings.

I never see the fireworks anyway. I'm usually in bed by the time it's dark enough here to see them anyway.

I mostly just wondered because of Bill's comment about celebrating independence being a bad thing.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

There are people who live one or two streets over from me, who buy TONS of fireworks during the few weeks of the year they are available. Then they set them off randomly throughout the year. Sometimes it's one or two early in the evening, sometimes more and often in the middle of the night. They are the really loud ones, too. As far as I know it's not legal inside the city limits. We live just barely inside the city limits, too, so it's not a big deal for them to take them elsewhere but they don't.

Also a lot of my neighbours were setting them off ALL NIGHT last night so I didn't get much sleep. I was falling asleep at work all day today.
                          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            Does my heart good!

Always pretty to look at!
                            ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

I have a sensory disorder and can't stand fireworks. I volunteered to work yesterday so I wouldn't have to hear them.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment