Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Reason Why a Democrat Presidency in 2020 is an Extremely Bad Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    So clearly you won't object when the Dems do the same thing when they inevitably get the reins of power back in their hands...
    At the rate their going, they're all but gonna guaranty a Trump victory. But, PLEASE, believe otherwise!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So clearly you won't object when the Dems do the same thing when they inevitably get the reins of power back in their hands...
      Lindsey Graham hit the nail on the head - "What we need in the White House is more drinking!"

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        I already said we should fix this before it becomes a 'thing' and both parties start undermining the presidency.

I'm still not seeing the injustice - and the rules weren't 'twisted' - you can't twist rules that don't exist.

As for 'inevitably' I'd normally agree - but I'm unsure if the Democratic party will survive should Trump win in 2020, which [ WAY TOO EARLY in the game to call, I know!] it looks like he well might.
        Yeah...I see a lot of wishful thinking in THAT claim. We have significant signs of shakiness in the economy. Polls are showing that those who DO think Trump is doing fine on the economy are not the people he needs to win. His approval rating is slipping badly. His support has eroded in every single state since 2016. Given that he won by less than 100,000 votes in three states...I'd say it's not looking very good for him. But you are right - it is early - and many things could happen between then and now. I may be the one engaging in wishful thinking. I'd rather not have to sell my house and attempt to gain citizenship in another country at my age.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          At the rate their going, they're all but gonna guaranty a Trump victory. But, PLEASE, believe otherwise!
          You took the words right out of my mouth. We'll see...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You took the words right out of my mouth. We'll see...
            Are you on the road more than you're staying home?

Comment

Are you on the road more than you're staying home?
              Opposite...actually moving towards semi-retirement.

Comment

Opposite...actually moving towards semi-retirement.

Comment

Why, you're not a Trump supporter are you, CP?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Why, you're not a Trump supporter are you, CP?
                    Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      The grossly unfair ramming it down everyone's throat after promising to be 'cooperative' and try to be 'bipartisan' - just before saying 'but we won' part.

McConnell didn't twist or distort the rules - he defied convention but this ain't the UK. Neither 'broke' the rules - both were unfair.
                      I'm confused as to how the Affordable Care Act getting passed was in any way unfair. You need 60 Senators to stop a filibuster, so they... got 60 Senators to stop the filibuster.

Indeed, I would argue that if there was anything unfair, it was the people who were doing the filibuster--the Republicans in this case. The way things are supposed to work is simple: If you get a majority of the House and Senate to pass a bill, and the president signs it, it's law (similarly, a majority leads to confirmations). But the filibuster is a way to get around that and make it so you need 60% instead of 51%. This was absolutely not intended by the framers; if they wanted to require 60%, they would have required 60%. As far as i can tell, there was no usage of the filibuster in the first 50 or so years of our country--in fact, the ability to filibuster in the first place was only created by accident about two decades after the start of the Senate.
                      (some information is found at https://www.brookings.edu/testimonie...he-filibuster/)

Comment