Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Derangement Is Destroying Political Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
    Did you know there are exceptions to the hearsay rule?

If you expect one side to abide by legal rules of evidence then surely you must also agree that all witnesses should be forced to testify. One can’t work without the other.
    I heard, from someone, that you confessed to their cousin’s best friend, of being a serial killer. Must be true.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Sure there are, but are you claiming that any of those exceptions apply in the case of the hearsay witnesses from yesterday?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Two witnesses, hours of testimony and neither one advanced the case.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Two witnesses, hours of testimony and neither one advanced the case.

Actually, they did. It does not surprise me that you missed it.

The base is very solid, like a lump of concrete in many respects.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post

More like a lump of Jell-O...

Ukrainian foreign minister Vadym Prystaiko said Thursday that U.S. Ambassador to the E.U. Gordon Sondland had “never” linked U.S. aid to Ukrainian investigations of the 2016 elections or the Biden’s role in stopping a probe of Burisma.

Prystaiko spoke the day after the first public hearings in the House Intelligence Committee as part of the “impeachment inquiry,” where two witnesses said they came to believe there had been such a link — though only some time after Politico reported on August 28 that aid had been held up by the Trump administration.

One of the witnesses, Chargé d’affaires Bill Taylor, introduced new evidence that a staffer told him recently that he overheard Sondland speaking to President Donald Trump the day after his July 25 phone call with Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky, discussing “investigations.” The staffer also told Taylor that Sondland said that Trump was more interested in investigations than anything else.

As Breitbart News’ Kristina Wong noted, that new evidence — which is fourth-hand hearsay, plus opinion — added little new information, but was cited by Democrats and journalists as evidence that aid might have been linked to investigations Trump had asked the new Ukrainian government to pursue.

On Thursday, Prystaiko said that there had been no link in discussions at the time with Sondland...

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-never-linked/
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

The only concrete here is in the boots Schiff is wearing as he tries to swim this this thing to victory.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Maybe the UK or whatever backwards country you hail from allows garbage like what we saw yesterday, but in modern jurisprudence, not only was the case not advanced but it was mostly inadmissible drivel used to get no where.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

If you expect one side to abide by legal rules of evidence then surely you must also agree that all witnesses should be forced to testify. One can’t work without the other.
                  Did you know that this does not come even close to meeting that narrow criteria?

Did you know that Congress suddenly dropped their subpoena of a witness who filed suit asking the courts to decide whether he had to testify? It appears that they aren't very confident in the idea that their subpoena trumps executive privilege and don't want the courts ruling on it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Oh please enlighten us and tell us exactly how the case for impeachment was advanced by yesterday's hearings.

Personally I find it telling that the impeachment wasn't even the lead story for much of the MSM today. It looks like they lost a whole lot of interest in the story that they were incessantly covering right up to yesterday. I wonder why.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Oh please enlighten us and tell us exactly how the case for impeachment was advanced by yesterday's hearings.

Personally I find it telling that the impeachment wasn't even the lead story for much of the MSM today. It looks like they lost a whole lot of interest in the story that they were incessantly covering right up to yesterday. I wonder why.
                      There's an impeachment?

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Maybe the UK or whatever backwards country you hail from allows garbage like what we saw yesterday, but in modern jurisprudence, not only was the case not advanced but it was mostly inadmissible drivel used to get no where.
                        This is an investigation, not a trial.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          This is a travesty, not an investigation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            This is a travesty, not an investigation.
                            More of a joke.

Unfortunately the joke is on the American public

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              More of a joke.

Unfortunately the joke is on the American public
                              But, just you wait, you roguesque one..... any day now... ANY DAY now.... Trump's house of cards will come home to roost!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                                Schiff and the Democrats are treating it like a trial.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment