Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

To SSD Or Not SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    why an i5 instead of i7 cpu?
    $100 for not much loss of performance. I'm not running things hard enough to need the extra CPU power, and gaming tends to favor the money spent on GPUs instead anyway.

The items that I have replaced most in computers has been power supplies and CPU fans. But hey, if you have a working PSU, why spend money now on a new one? wait till it fails then buy a new one.
    I'm worried about it failing and taking out other components with it.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      $100 for not much loss of performance. I'm not running things hard enough to need the extra CPU power, and gaming tends to favor the money spent on GPUs instead anyway.

I'm worried about it failing and taking out other components with it.
      That usually doesn't happen. The thing usually just stops working and the computer won't turn on. I mean it is possible, but unlikely that it would fry your components.

Comment

That usually doesn't happen. The thing usually just stops working and the computer won't turn on. I mean it is possible, but unlikely that it would fry your components.
        I had one fail and took out two hard drives. It may be rare but it can happen.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

So the saga continues...

I got my new components in last night, windows boots up, everything's good for about an hour. I downloaded latest GPU drivers, restarted and...nothing.

Sometimes I can get it to load windows. It usually freezes after 15 mins or so. Usually it goes to black screen instead of windows login. Can't usually get into safe mode, but I did once enough to run rkill and malwarebytes to confirm no viruses.

Did a Windows reset (preserving files) this morning. Seemed to be working. I was reinstalling Firefox then back to frozen computer. So...I don't know. New HDD arrives Monday. I'll do a clean install of Windows on it, and see if I can get my files transferred over.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

So the saga continues...

I got my new components in last night, windows boots up, everything's good for about an hour. I downloaded latest GPU drivers, restarted and...nothing.

Sometimes I can get it to load windows. It usually freezes after 15 mins or so. Usually it goes to black screen instead of windows login. Can't usually get into safe mode, but I did once enough to run rkill and malwarebytes to confirm no viruses.

Did a Windows reset (preserving files) this morning. Seemed to be working. I was reinstalling Firefox then back to frozen computer. So...I don't know. New HDD arrives Monday. I'll do a clean install of Windows on it, and see if I can get my files transferred over.
            great fun. I am doing that now for my work computer. I have a 5 year old workstation and just got a new one, so I am going through the old one doing everything I can to "prepare"

1. Running the windows easy transfer wizard to gather all of my old accounts and files and storing it on an external drive.
            2. created a virtual machine of my old computer using VMWare converter and player.
            3. Backing up my old drive C: using Acronis True image so I have an actual backup just in case.

When I set up my new one, I will have to reinstall all of the software I had on the old one since I am doing a fresh install and not an upgrade to windows 10. That will be fun. I expect a good week to get everything going the way I want and then from there I will just install software as I need. I will have my old machine as a virtual machine in case I need to run something that I can't or haven't set up on my new machine yet.

Comment

Annnddd.....it was the power supply.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Annnddd.....it was the power supply.
                oops

Comment

I guess that means you are going to put in your old, working power supply?

Comment

I guess that means you are going to put in your old, working power supply?
                    The old one is what's not working. New one will get here Monday.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

The old one is what's not working. New one will get here Monday.
                      ah. my fault for telling you to keep the old one instead of buying a new one. Sorry guy.

Comment

ah. my fault for telling you to keep the old one instead of buying a new one. Sorry guy.
                        Meh. I'm just annoyed that the PSU has been the problem the whole time. Meaning I've built a new system without needing to...
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Meh. I'm just annoyed that the PSU has been the problem the whole time. Meaning I've built a new system without needing to...
                          I'm saving up to build my own PC, or have cyberpowerpc.com build me one. Most likely when they are having a sale.

Comment

It is a learning process and trial and error.

Regarding SSDs...

One thing that was touched upon was that programs may open up faster. This benefit can often be treated as being of secondary interest -- but this may be a significant benefit when you need to get something viewed or edited or printed when you are in a rush.

Generally I think that the primary components needing some attention when desiring a home computer with speed: cpu, memory and disk drive. These three components can be balanced out based on price-gain benefit. Mainly i'm thinking that too little memory causes slowdown; a fast-cpu may cost a lot without gain if the overall system is slow; an SSD may help speed the computer (or it's responsiveness ) more than certain CPU upgrades.

good luck!

Comment

New power supply is in. Still not working...

Windows 10 is loaded on the HDD, but I think there's some issue with it. I can get past the mobo bootup portion, but then it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor. Changing UEFI/Legacy settings don't seem to fix it.

I don't even know.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                                I'm saving up to build my own PC, or have cyberpowerpc.com build me one. Most likely when they are having a sale.
                                Nice! What price range are you looking at?
                                I'm not here anymore.

Comment