Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The mainstream media cozies up to North Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now here's Whoopi Goldberg castigating Vice President Pence for not showing respect to the murderous North Korean regime:

Source: Whoopi

"We have to be respectful because what we do know about politicians is they end up sitting with people that you and I say well, why are they sitting with them? So if you’re in Korea, you need to stand up. You need to stand up and show respect."

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2018/...t-north-korea/

© Copyright Original Source

I wonder, did she rip the NFL players for not showing respect to the United States of America? Who am I kidding, of course she didn't.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      No, there is not a huge difference.
      So you really think there is not a huge difference between being gently critical towards North Korea and colluding with North Korea? I think you need to explain further.

You obviously went through the articles to find the very few that offered a few sentences of very mild criticism buried in an otherwise positive, even glowing portrayal of North Korea and its leaders (the majority of articles didn't even bother with that and just wrote puff pieces).
      I only read the articles I quote from. I did not bother reading all of them since it became clear to me that what Breitbart had written was certainly not true in those cases. If Breitbart had made the claim that there was not enough criticism, not enough focus on reality in North Korea, there would be room for a rather interesting discussion and I would even agree in some cases to some extent. However that was not the claim they made. They made this statement: "Yep, over the weekend, CNN, the New York Times, the Washington Post, NPR, ABC, NBC, PBS, even the Wall Street Journal… these big media outlets (and more) colluded with murderous North Korean tyrants to normalize their slave state, to romanticize a murderous regime that comes complete with concentration camps, public executions in the thousands, and actual slaves. Yep, over the weekend, the same media outlets that see only evil in Trump’s every utterance, colluded with a North Korea that regularly threatens our nuclear annihilation (and is aggressively seeking the means to do so), that starves and tortures its own people by the millions, and is in reality a massive prison camp disguised as a country." The quotes I used clearly show that this is not the case. As to whether or not they are not being critical enough is a completely different story that Breitbart's statement unfortunatealy does not leave room for.

The New York Times, which you singled out, is a perfect example. The bulk of the article gushes about how charming Kim Yo-jong is without bothering to mention that she operates concentration camps (why would they leave out that little detail?) and is sharply critical of Vice President Pence and the US's diplomacy, then when they finally do get around to offering a mildly negative counter point, it's buried at the very bottom of the lengthy article and is presented merely as someone's opinion rather than as fact. You could read the entire article, including the mild criticism at the end, and still come away with a largely positive impression of North Korea and its leaders.
      The article actually says: "Others said they were horrified by the notion that Ms. Kim could lull South Koreans, or anyone else, into forgetting the North’s repression and human rights abuses." Note that repressions and human rights abuses are mentioned. They also leave room for this opinion: "“That’s the face of the Kim family, which wouldn’t even flinch when tens of thousands of people died for it,” one Twitter user wrote. “I see the arrogance and ruthlessness that one cannot find in people who grew up in a free society.”" Is this what you refer to as "mild criticism"?While I would certainly have liked them to go further into facts about North Korea I have so far made the rather obvious claim that bringing these quotes makes it rather obvious that we are not witnessing someone trying to romanticize North Korea. They may not be critical enough. But Breitbart went far beyond making that claim.
      Last edited by Charles; 02-13-2018, 01:58 PM.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        I only read the articles I quote from. I did not bother reading all of them...
        So your opinion is uninformed. Well played.

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        The article actually says: "Others said they were horrified by the notion that Ms. Kim could lull South Koreans, or anyone else, into forgetting the North’s repression and human rights abuses." Note that repressions and human rights abuses are mentioned. They also leave room for this opinion: "“That’s the face of the Kim family, which wouldn’t even flinch when tens of thousands of people died for it,” one Twitter user wrote. “I see the arrogance and ruthlessness that one cannot find in people who grew up in a free society.”" Is this what you refer to as "mild criticism"?
        Yes, it is mild because, first of all, it comes at the very end of a lengthy article that otherwise portrays North Korea and its murderous rulers in a positive light, and secondly, it's presented as mere opinion and does not sufficiently offset the flattery and praise of the previous two-dozen paragraphs. Like I said, one could read the article from start to finish and come away with a positive view of North Korea.

Comment

So your opinion is uninformed. Well played.
          Nice try but the point of course is that even without reading all of them I was able to prove that the statements made were untrue simply because they did not fit all the articles. If someone says he has made no mistakes it is enough to find one to prove him wrong. I do not need to find all the other mistakes he has made to prove him wrong. Rather simple.

Yes, it is mild because, first of all, it comes at the very end of a lengthy article that otherwise portrays North Korea and its murderous rulers in a positive light, and secondly, it's presented as mere opinion and does not sufficiently offset the flattery and praise of the previous two-dozen paragraphs. Like I said, one could read the article from start to finish and come away with a positive view of North Korea.
          You could read this: "Others said they were horrified by the notion that Ms. Kim could lull South Koreans, or anyone else, into forgetting the North’s repression and human rights abuses." And: "“That’s the face of the Kim family, which wouldn’t even flinch when tens of thousands of people died for it,” one Twitter user wrote. “I see the arrogance and ruthlessness that one cannot find in people who grew up in a free society.”" and come away with a positive view? That is what you claim? I would think you would at the very least come away with a mixed view if you care about human rights and tens of thousands of people being killed by leaders who would not even flinch.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

And now here's Whoopi Goldberg castigating Vice President Pence for not showing respect to the murderous North Korean regime:

"We have to be respectful because what we do know about politicians is they end up sitting with people that you and I say well, why are they sitting with them? So if you’re in Korea, you need to stand up. You need to stand up and show respect."

I wonder, did she rip the NFL players for not showing respect to the United States of America? Who am I kidding, of course she didn't.
            Whoopi has become increasingly unhinged since Trump won the 2016 election. I've never liked her gab fest show (The View) but her and Joy Behar have made it completely unwatchable. Never have I seen two alleged comedians so full of vitriol, hatred and anger. They're always scowling and snarling. The last two times I saw the show (it was on in a waiting room so I was a captive audience), after their spittle-flecked tirades one or the other had to retract what they ranted about while the credits rolled essentially saying that their producer informed them that they were entirely clueless and they had the facts all wrong during their diatribe.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Whoopi has become increasingly unhinged since Trump won the 2016 election. I've never liked her gab fest show (The View) but her and Joy Behar have made it completely unwatchable. Never have I seen two alleged comedians so full of vitriol, hatred and anger. They're always scowling and snarling. The last two times I saw the show (it was on in a waiting room so I was a captive audience), after their spittle-flecked tirades one or the other had to retract what they ranted about while the credits rolled essentially saying that their producer informed them that they were entirely clueless and they had the facts all wrong during their diatribe.
              Like most liberals, they're unintentionally hilarious.

Comment

No, there is not a huge difference. You obviously went through the articles to find the very few that offered a few sentences of very mild criticism buried in an otherwise positive, even glowing portrayal of North Korea and its leaders ...
                Let's see what MM classes as "very mild criticism":
                But as North Korea's brutal dictator, Kim's brother has ruled with an iron fist since coming to power, operating Nazi-style prison camps, repressing political opposition and even executing senior officers and his own family members in an effort to consolidate power.

"Very mild criticism"? Bovine faeces.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Let's see what MM classes as "very mild criticism":
                  But as North Korea's brutal dictator, Kim's brother has ruled with an iron fist since coming to power, operating Nazi-style prison camps, repressing political opposition and even executing senior officers and his own family members in an effort to consolidate power.

"Very mild criticism"? Bovine faeces.
                  Considering that single sentence is buried in the middle of paragraph after paragraph of gushing and enthusiastic praise for the equally brutal Kim Yo Jong, yes, it is very mild, especially when you could easily write paragraph after paragraph about North Korea's atrocities. But never mind all that. Look how charming she is!

Comment

Considering that single sentence is buried in the middle of paragraph after paragraph of gushing and enthusiastic praise for the equally brutal Kim Yo Jong, yes, it is very mild, ....
                    No it isn't. You wrote "a few sentences of very mild criticism buried in an otherwise positive, even glowing portrayal". You did not describe the article as a whole as "very mild criticism", you described those few sentences as "very mild criticism". They may be harsh criticism buried in paragraph after paragraph of gushing praise. They are not very mild criticism buried in paragraph after paragraph of gushing praise.

Unless you think likening people to Nazis is "very mild criticism".
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Lol. the hypocrisy is stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Whoopi's been unhinged since at least the Y2K election cycle.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Whoopi's been unhinged since at least the Y2K election cycle.
                          Probably didn't get enough oxygen in 10 forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Probably didn't get enough oxygen in 10 forward.
                            Guinin was an intolerably sanctimonious character who gave the impression of knowing more than she really did. I had no idea at the time that Whoopi Goldberg was playing herself.

Comment

Guinin was an intolerably sanctimonious character who gave the impression of knowing more than she really did. I had no idea at the time that Whoopi Goldberg was playing herself.
                              On the other hand, Guinin was always serene and in control of herself, wholly unlike Whoopi's unhinged vulgarity.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

But why would the mainstream media choose those quotes and phrases to promote on Twitter? Quotes and phrases that portray North Korea in the best light while being openly critical of our own Vice President? And even the articles themselves range from fawning and enthusiastic to gently critical of North Korea, and any article that mentions Vice President Pence is clearly siding with North Korea and against the United States. I didn't find a single article from the list provided by Breitbart that attempted even a tepid defense of America's diplomacy. Kim Jong Un could not have asked for better propaganda.
                                Many of the articles talk about NK's atrocities. Kim Yo Jong was successful in furthering diplomatic relations. The cheerleaders were a spectacle. Pence allowed NK to take over the narrative. These are the facts as reported. I don't know what more you want outside of all of these articles becoming editorials.

Comment