Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hypothetical. All guns dissapear. What happens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    That said, don't think I didn't notice that you've moved the goalpost.
    The goalposts haven't moved, they're sitting right where they've always been: If ready availability of guns is the problem then why don't all areas of the country where guns are readily available have high crime rates?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      The goalposts haven't moved, they're sitting right where they've always been: If ready availability of guns is the problem then why don't all areas of the country where guns are readily available have high crime rates?
      1. You did, in fact, move the goalpost. 2. I answered this question in the post you replied to. For the nth time, "....no one is arguing that guns make people more criminally inclined...the argument is that in places that see violent crime, guns make that crime more lethal."

Comment

"....no one is arguing that guns make people more criminally inclined...the argument is that in places that see violent crime, guns make that crime more lethal."
        Except as other countries have proven, you take away guns, people simply find other means to kill each other.

Comment

Australia is an interesting case study. Assuming Wikipedia is correct, there were as many murders that left three or more dead in the 20-years before guns were banned as there were in the 20-years after guns were banned. It's just that in the post-ban crimes, the murderers resorted to knives, vehicles, and even arson. And if you exclude the anomalous Port Arthur massacre, the number of people killed isn't significantly different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...oldformat=true

Comment

Except as other countries have proven, you take away guns, people simply find other means to kill each other.
            No one is arguing that. What they're arguing is that guns are MORE lethal.

Comment

As we've discussed before, it really depends on the scenario. If I get stabbed in the throat, I'll die just as readily as if I were shot in the throat.

Comment

True, though massacres by psychopaths are nowhere near large a scale, and crime becomes less easy for criminals.

FYI: I'm not for banning guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                  True, though massacres by psychopaths are nowhere near large a scale, and crime becomes less easy for criminals.

FYI: I'm not for banning guns.
                  How does crime "become less easy for criminals"? Is this on the assumption that all guns are magically 'disappeared'?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

um. If you kill someone with a knife, how is that less lethal than killing them with a gun?

Comment

As we've discussed before, it really depends on the scenario. If I get stabbed in the throat, I'll die just as readily as if I were shot in the throat.
                      Don't you think it's a bit silly the measures you'll go to in order to wiggle out of the general observation that guns are more lethal than knives (or ladders for that matter)?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        um. If you kill someone with a knife, how is that less lethal than killing them with a gun?
                        Really? Do we really need to have this conversation? Have you ever heard of the phrase "bringing a knife to a gunfight"? Do you know what that means?

Comment

I'm a gun rights proponent, and gun owner, but I'd have to admit that I could do more damage more quickly with my newly purchased AR-15 in a large room full of people, particularly if I were standing 20 to 30 feet away. This assumes, of course, that none of my targets are armed.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            How does crime "become less easy for criminals"? Is this on the assumption that all guns are magically 'disappeared'?
                            Robbing a person with a gun gives someone the power to kill another with the pull of a trigger, while a knife makes that same action a lot harder.

Not sure how my post relates to guns being vanished.

Comment

You mean that city that became economically depressed after the steel mills shutdown?

Maybe we should outlaw poverty since that seems to lead to crime more reliably than the presence of guns.
                              Good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                                Robbing a person with a gun gives someone the power to kill another with the pull of a trigger, while a knife makes that same action a lot harder.
                                I don't know about that, Sea -- the purpose of the weapon is to cause fear in the victim, and the fear of being stabbed is generally just as great as the fear of being shot - particularly at close range. The whole purpose of the robbery is to rob, not to kill. All that is needed for the 'successful' robbery is for the victim to believe that giving up his money (or possessions) is better than getting stabbed or shot.

Not sure how my post relates to guns being vanished.
                                Neither was I, so rather than assume, I asked. (Look at the thread title)

Comment