Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NYT - Trump Administration Considers a Drastic Cut in Refugees Allowed to Enter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    When you understand that the US is not Israel, it clears up pretty quickly.

Yes
    They have not been so interpreted on this forum at any point I've been here. A total disregard for "decrees" in the Hebrew Scriptures in relation to US policy has most definitely not been common.
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      In terms of governmental difference. Both areas were part of the Roman Empire.
      So a refugee from Palestine travelling to northern Britannia would be like "moving from Pennsylvania to Vermont" in the 1st century?
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Aren't Trump and Pence ostensibly Christians?
        A personal faith does not mandate federal policy. It can influence it, but can not dictate it. That's the point I have been making.

Don't they have strong support from white Christians, especially Evangelicals?
        Irrelevant.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

A personal faith does not mandate federal policy. It can influence it, but can not dictate it. That's the point I have been making.

Irrelevant.
          I find it extremely relevant, given many Christians' insistence (here and elsewhere) that Christian beliefs make it impossible or immoral to support certain parties and politicians. It is, indeed, such a widely-expressed view, here and elsewhere, that I have to wonder why the allowance is cropping up here.

--Sam

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            funny how we are always more eager to follow the commands that ostensibly give us an excuse condemn and destroy others, whereas we tend to downplay or flat out ignore those command that require sacrifice in one form or another from us.

Jim
            Right Jim, if you want to follow the rules of a Theocracy don't pick and choose. Remember the Jews could enslave the Alien at will. And they could not worship other (foreign) gods. And I'm tired of the virtue signalling from people like Sam, and you at times.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

They have not been so interpreted on this forum at any point I've been here.
              Yes they have. I've been here since a few days after the site was created. I've been on staff for all but 2 months. I was in the top 10 posters for most of that time. I was even active in the rescue forum when the TWeb server had gone belly up. Nearly 20 years worth of active posting. I've seen many, many people come and go. I can count on one hand the amount of people who say that we should implement the OT laws as policy in the US.

A total disregard for "decrees" in the Hebrew Scriptures in relation to US policy has most definitely not been common.
              I never said totally disregard them. They can teach us - as individuals - some important lessons. But trying to use them as the law itself has never been pushed here in my almost 20 years of membership.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Yes they have. I've been here since a few days after the site was created. I've been on staff for all but 2 months. I was in the top 10 posters for most of that time. I was even active in the rescue forum when the TWeb server had gone belly up. Nearly 20 years worth of active posting. I've seen many, many people come and go. I can count on one hand the amount of people who say that we should implement the OT laws as policy in the US.

I never said totally disregard them. They can teach us - as individuals - some important lessons. But trying to use them as the law itself has never been pushed here in my almost 20 years of membership.
                What law from the Hebrew Scriptures has been proposed?

And, I'm sorry, but the idea that Christian values can inform us as individuals but play little to no role in directing US policy is the standard opinion of most of folks posting here is not only wrong but obviously so.

--Sam

Comment

I find it extremely relevant, given many Christians' insistence (here and elsewhere) that Christian beliefs make it impossible or immoral to support certain parties and politicians.
                  And that is policy-based. When a party or politician espouses policies that are blatantly anti-Christian, only THEN does it become relevant. But that wasn't what you were asking. You were implying that a decree from God to Israel should be implemented by a non-theocratic nation.

It is, indeed, such a widely-expressed view, here and elsewhere, that I have to wonder why the allowance is cropping up here.

--Sam
                  Then perhaps you are not explaining your objections very well.
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What law from the Hebrew Scriptures has been proposed?
                    Uh, your OP.

And, I'm sorry, but the idea that Christian values can inform us as individuals but play little to no role in directing US policy is the standard opinion of most of folks posting here is not only wrong but obviously so.

--Sam
                    Ask the US atheists here if they want to be governed by the Bible and its decrees. We have to have secular reasons for the policies we feel intersect our Christian beliefs. But we can not, nor have ANY of us proposed, implementing direct Biblical decrees as law. And I challenge you to find an instance.
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

No. Theocratic decrees directly to the nation of Israel have nothing to do with the US.
                      Moreover the translations that use the word "sojourner" in place of "alien" and "foreigner" are closer to the Hebrew. Sojourners are travelers or visitors, not folks who are planning on moving in permanently.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So a refugee from Palestine travelling to northern Britannia would be like "moving from Pennsylvania to Vermont" in the 1st century?
                        What does Britannia have to do with anything?
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I know they never expected the Spanish Inquisition!
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

And that is policy-based. When a party or politician espouses policies that are blatantly anti-Christian, only THEN does it become relevant. But that wasn't what you were asking. You were implying that a decree from God to Israel should be implemented by a non-theocratic nation.

Then perhaps you are not explaining your objections very well.
                            You don't find refusing welcome to asylum-seekers and refugees -- to the point of zeroing-out refugee admissions blatantly anti-Christian?

--Sam

Comment

It, too, was part of the Roman Empire at the time and therefore fits under the "governmental difference" definition you used.

--Sam

Comment

You don't find refusing welcome to asylum-seekers and refugees -- to the point of zeroing-out refugee admissions blatantly anti-Christian?

--Sam
                                Do you find allowing homosexuals to live blatantly unbiblical?
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment