Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Coverage of NASA's SpaceX Demo-2 Mission Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Blue skies today! It's looking very favorable.
      I'm here with ya, Bro!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I'm here with ya, Bro!
        Weather looks a bit iffy but it might clear up. 50% chance of cancelling is also a 50% chance of launch.

Comment

Weather looks a bit iffy but it might clear up. 50% chance of cancelling is also a 50% chance of launch.
          I'd cross my fingers, but these astronaut gloves are not very conducive to that.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'd cross my fingers, but these astronaut gloves are not very conducive to that.
            New weather update in 15 minutes. If it is clearing up it might be fine.

Comment

New weather update in 15 minutes. If it is clearing up it might be fine.
              One of the guys who does commenting was pretty funny - somebody called in and asked about the service crew, and the big numbers on their backs.

He said, "Oh, that's so a proud momma can call her family and say - WATCH #12 - THAT's MY BABY".

Comment

One of the guys who does commenting was pretty funny - somebody called in and asked about the service crew, and the big numbers on their backs.

He said, "Oh, that's so a proud momma can call her family and say - WATCH #12 - THAT's MY BABY".

Comment

In fact, I remember the old days when the commentator would go into great detail about how even tools - wrenches and screwdrivers - were tagged with a number ID so that, when they were getting ready to seal the capsule and withdraw the gantry, they had an accurate inventory of everything that went into the area, and there would be nothing "extra" left behind that might be catastrophic.

AND, they had wrist straps so, in case a worker dropped one, it wouldn't follow that law (which one is it?) that says "a tool, when dropped, WILL fall where it will do the most damage".

(Maybe that's why the $1,200 hammer? It costs that much to add a number tag? )

Comment

In fact, I remember the old days when the commentator would go into great detail about how even tools - wrenches and screwdrivers - were tagged with a number ID so that, when they were getting ready to seal the capsule and withdraw the gantry, they had an accurate inventory of everything that went into the area, and there would be nothing "extra" left behind that might be catastrophic.

AND, they had wrist straps so, in case a worker dropped one, it wouldn't follow that law (which one is it?) that says "a tool, when dropped, WILL fall where it will do the most damage".

Simplying and streamlining the process is a place where SpaceX can really shine, and they are. Loading the astronauts and flight integration is much faster now. And that they can do horizontal integration, so they don't need the Crawler has also helped greatly.

Comment

Simplying and streamlining the process is a place where SpaceX can really shine, and they are. Loading the astronauts and flight integration is much faster now. And that they can do horizontal integration, so they don't need the Crawler has also helped greatly.
                      Yeah, I love this "outside the box" thinking that competition encourages. And, again, the Dragon capsule looks downright sleek, luxurious and SPACIOUS compared to the Apollo capsules. I wonder how many NASA employees were recruited by SpaceX for their expertise, and if so, how excited those people might be to be working in a much less restrictive "government think" environment.

Comment

Yeah, I love this "outside the box" thinking that competition encourages. And, again, the Dragon capsule looks downright sleek, luxurious and SPACIOUS compared to the Apollo capsules. I wonder how many NASA employees were recruited by SpaceX for their expertise, and if so, how excited those people might be to be working in a much less restrictive "government think" environment.
                        Oh tons, especially teams who had done work for NASA which NASA had decided not to go with due to its experimental nature, like the pintel injector which SpaceX ended up using in their engine, or the Pica heat shield tech which was originally for a scrapped Mars mission, which SpaceX decided to go with and develop inhouse.

And also just keeping most of the development and manufacturing inhouse, where NASA had (for historical reasons) a tendency to do one thing in one state, move the thing to another state, do another thing there, test in Texas, etc...

Cleaning off that cruft was a good thing.

Comment

Weather looks beautiful now!

Comment

This reminded me of the following popular misconception and it's terminal debunking

nasa.jpg
                            clickinate on to enbiggen

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Weather looks beautiful now!
                              So it looks like a go?

[*turns TV on*]

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The SpaceX webcast is thirty seconds ahead of the NASA webcast.

Comment