Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why are so many Christians adopting flat earthism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
    And the people who would never have heard about this kind of silliness without the internet, are exposed to it and end up buying into it. And then they expose someone else... It's like a bad virus.
    especially on facebook. I can't believe the obvious scams and lies my own friends spread on facebook. I basically tell them not to send me anything that has "please share" on it. I am the internet's black hole, anything they want to share or pass on dies with me. I won't share that missing child post, or the one about getting good luck, or the one about the poison in our water, or how vaccines or aliens are killing our children, or even grandma's favorite cookie recipe. And if they continue to send me stuff like that, I will block them.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Because it becomes easier to accept more garbage from their favorite talking points once they no longer have any points of authority to check anything against since everything out there has been discredited.
      Obviously the Great Delusion has gotten to you and satan told you to say that. You are a government stooge! Just ask Darfius.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Obviously the Great Delusion has gotten to you and satan told you to say that. You are a government stooge! Just ask Darfius.
        The world was flat before the Mandela Effect changed it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

especially on facebook. I can't believe the obvious scams and lies my own friends spread on facebook. I basically tell them not to send me anything that has "please share" on it. I am the internet's black hole, anything they want to share or pass on dies with me. I won't share that missing child post, or the one about getting good luck, or the one about the poison in our water, or how vaccines or aliens are killing our children, or even grandma's favorite cookie recipe. And if they continue to send me stuff like that, I will block them.
          Please share the above post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Please share the above post

I used to send back a reverse chain letter to people. Telling them they had to send it back to whoever sent them the original chain letter or they would get all of the bad luck promised to them by the original chain letter times 10.

Comment

Because it becomes easier to accept more garbage from their favorite talking points once they no longer have any points of authority to check anything against since everything out there has been discredited.
              This is a good point, thank you.

Comment

Comment

This seems to be equally true of those with liberal and conservative leanings. Sad state of affairs.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    This seems to be equally true of those with liberal and conservative leanings. Sad state of affairs.
                    Perhaps if our schools were more focused on teaching critical thinking than the latest progressive talking points....
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

A few celebrities have gotten a lot of attention for proclaiming the flat earth in the last couple of years, but on a rank and file level, there seem to be an awful lot of Christians going along for the ride, including a couple I know. One of them posted on her Facebook this morning that modern astronomy is idolatrous because heliocentrism is the worship of the sun, and bragged that she is not an idolater.

William Lane Craig weighed in on this a few weeks ago. His theory was that it's atheists masking as Christians trying to make us look stupid, but I don't think that explains it because the people I know who have fallen for this really are Christians.
                      Similarly, some Catholics have rejected heliocentricism, and chosen instead to argue for geocentricicism. How much this is prompted by zeal for exact astronomy I have no idea; it may come from a belief that the Fathers of the Church are to be regarded as being as reliable when expressing ideas on astronomy, as when witnessing to the Faith of the Church. A Fundamentalism of the works of the Fathers is no better than a Fundamentalism of the Bible.
                      Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 10-13-2018, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Every so often, I post something like this: nothowitworks.jpg

Sometimes I accompany it with something gracious and loving such as, "If you're the sort of person who frequently sends those 'Share and be blessed' or 'Reply Amen if you agree' posts, I think you're an idiot, and would prefer to have nothing to do with you."
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                          A Fundamentalism of the works of the Fathers is no better than a Fundamentalism of the Bible.
                          With either, context has to be considered, and it may be more difficult with the former because there is a lot more scholarship on the Bible than on any individual non-canonical writing.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            Every so often, I post something like this: [ATTACH=CONFIG]32060[/ATTACH]

Sometimes I accompany it with something gracious and loving such as, "If you're the sort of person who frequently sends those 'Share and be blessed' or 'Reply Amen if you agree' posts, I think you're an idiot, and would prefer to have nothing to do with you."
                            I sure agree with the distaste for such tripe, but not necessarily the attitude towards the senders.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment