Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The "What are you listening to now" thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    The title track is probably in my personal top ten. Last Goodbye and Lover You Should Have Come Over are also infectious.

I tend to skip Hallelujah at this point in time. I've had my fill of it.
    Yeah, Hallelujah usually has me skipping over too, anytime I hear it, but listening to it with headphones yesterday I was impressed with the production, and there's some fantastic stereo imaging in it. I'd rather stick to Leonard Cohen's version, but it's pretty impressive what they did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Yeah, Hallelujah usually has me skipping over too, anytime I hear it, but listening to it with headphones yesterday I was impressed with the production, and there's some fantastic stereo imaging in it. I'd rather stick to Leonard Cohen's version, but it's pretty impressive what they did.
      It's really weird how different the versions from Cohen, Buckley, and Wainwright really are. Also, it's unfortunate that Wainwright's is probably the most well known at this point in time.

The song was not well known at the time Buckley recorded it, and his version seems like a reconceptualization altogether, so it seems unfair to hold the song's ubiquity against him here. But the rest of the album is just so good that it's all the easier for it to fade into the background.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Lately, I've been on a soul/funk kick. YouTube recommended "I Got The..." by Labi Siffre, whom I had never heard of. It turns out the song is mostly known for being the sample source for Eminem's "My Name Is", with its funky baseline from the three minute coda (if you want to call it that) being used. But I'm glad it was because I likely would never have discovered this hidden gem otherwise. The album it came off was long out of print at the time Eminem sampled it, but was shortly after repressed.

"I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• This is good stuff!

Comment

• ELO's Ticket to the Moon
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Look out for pumas when building railroads.
              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

• Gentle Giant - The Moon is Down

This is gorgeous.

Comment

• Anyone else into Christian metalcore? I know, it's a bit specific. Here's one I like.

"If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Metalcore isn't really my thing, though I have listened to Demon Hunter before and liked them okay.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Metalcore isn't really my thing, though I have listened to Demon Hunter before and liked them okay.
                      Yeah, I only know a handful of people who like metalcore. :(

Demon Hunter does have some more melodic stuff that probably has more appeal to people who like mainstream rock or heavy metal. Like this one.

"If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Since I've been playing The Legend of Dragoon, I've never seen the name of the lead female character (Shana) without thinking of this song.

~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

• Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• https://youtu.be/Ov5VxGruSFY
                            Roger Whittaker; The Last Farewell

I hadn't heard this song in over thirty years - it's still a favorite. I could only remember parts but I never forgot it.

For you are beautiful,
                            and I have loved you dearly,
                            more dearly than the spoken word can tell...
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Roy Clark; Yesterday

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• The definitive funeral doom album (arguably):

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment