Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Effective Altruism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Personal testimony is accepted unless it can be proven to be unreliable. It is defacto accepted as true unless shown otherwise. That is how the courts work. Now it is up to each member of the Jury to believe the testimony or not. But as far as the court is concerned the eye witness testimony is accepted as true evidence in the case unless proven otherwise by contrary evidence or cross examination.
    I think for many skeptics, within the context of apologetics, 'subjective' is a dirty word when in reality it is just a category of evidence.
    In practice we operate on subjective evidence, even in life and death situations, on a daily basis.

This also means that for people like Tassman evidence for Evolution is subjective.
    He doesn't perform the experiments himself (I presume) but relies on the testimony of others.

What is interesting is that if you're an eye witness the evidence for you is not subjective but objective.
    If you experience God that is an objective evidence for you; when you share it with a friend it is subjective for that friend.

Whether people agree with that assessment or not the fact remains that 'subjective' isn't a dirty word.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      I think for many skeptics, within the context of apologetics, 'subjective' is a dirty word when in reality it is just a category of evidence.
      In practice we operate on subjective evidence, even in life and death situations, on a daily basis.

This also means that for people like Tassman evidence for Evolution is subjective.
      He doesn't perform the experiments himself (I presume) but relies on the testimony of others.
      Evidence for Evolution may be subjective for me but it not for those who are sufficiently qualified to examine the evidence and for whom I have no reason to disbelieve. This includes the vast majority of scientists for whom Evolution is fact supported by a massive accumulation of verifiable evidence. It also applies to experts in many other fields such as Medicine. I may not have the expertise myself, but I trust those I have good reason to believe DO have the necessary expertise.

What is interesting is that if you're an eye witness the evidence for you is not subjective but objective.
      If you experience God that is an objective evidence for you; when you share it with a friend it is subjective for that friend.

Whether people agree with that assessment or not the fact remains that 'subjective' isn't a dirty word.
      Certainly, if you're an eye witness the evidence for you is not merely subjective, but unless it’s supported by verifiable evidence it may well be dismissed by others as delusional.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

You really don't get it do you?

Personal testimony is accepted unless it can be proven to be unreliable. It is defacto accepted as true unless shown otherwise. That is how the courts work. Now it is up to each member of the Jury to believe the testimony or not. But as far as the court is concerned the eye witness testimony is accepted as true evidence in the case unless proven otherwise by contrary evidence or cross examination.
        Bizarre, unsubstantiated personal testimony is NOT generally accepted.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          So we shouldn't listen to you?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Evidence for Evolution may be subjective for me but it not for those who are sufficiently qualified to examine the evidence and for whom I have no reason to disbelieve. This includes the vast majority of scientists for whom Evolution is fact supported by a massive accumulation of verifiable evidence. It also applies to experts in many other fields such as Medicine. I may not have the expertise myself, but I trust those I have good reason to believe DO have the necessary expertise.
            Christianity might be subjective for me, but not for those who were there and experienced Christ first hand and experienced the evidence and reported it to us for whom I have no reason to disbelieve. I may not have witnessed Christ myself but I trust those who have.

Certainly, if you're an eye witness the evidence for you is not merely subjective, but unless it’s supported by verifiable evidence it may well be dismissed by others as delusional.
            Again, in court, unless they have evidence against the eye witnesses testimony, their testimony is accepted by the court as valid and true. The ultimate choice to believe or not, is left up to the jury. Just like all of the physical evidence.

Comment

Yes, it is. Unless there is evidence against them, it is accepted as evidence in a court. Even if someone says they were abducted by Australians. It is up to the jury to weigh all of the evidence and decide. Unless the eye witness can be shown to be perjuring themselves, their testimony is considered truthful.

Comment

Yes, it is. Unless there is evidence against them, it is accepted as evidence in a court. Even if someone says they were abducted by Australians. It is up to the jury to weigh all of the evidence and decide. Unless the eye witness can be shown to be perjuring themselves, their testimony is considered truthful.
                Australians exist and therefore the claim is at least plausible and has the possibility of being substantiated. OTOH personal testimony of a purely subjective experience, e.g. alien abduction or a mystical divine experience, does not have this possibility.

Comment

Australians exist and therefore the claim is at least plausible and has the possibility of being substantiated. OTOH personal testimony of a purely subjective experience, e.g. alien abduction or a mystical divine experience, does not have this possibility.
                  Why should I take your word that Australia exists? And aren't you arguing in another thread with me that alien life exists?

Comment

• "It has served us well, this myth of Australia." ~ Crocodile Dundee
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Why should I take your word that Australia exists?
                      You don’t have to take my word; the existence of Australia is easily verified.

And aren't you arguing in another thread with me that alien life exists?
                      No, only that there exists conditions favourable to life on other planets and that therefore may be alien life.

Comment

You don’t have to take my word; the existence of Australia is easily verified.
                        well then get to it: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...anism&p=427120

No, only that there exists conditions favourable to life on other planets and that therefore may be alien life.
                        So then why would you automatically dismiss testimony about alien abductions? If there is life in the universe, there could be intelligent life, and if there is intelligent life, it could be far more advanced than us, and have visited our planet, right?

Comment

It appears there are more people on the planet who've experienced the divine than people who've experienced Australia.
                          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

It appears there are more people on the planet who've experienced the divine than people who've experienced Australia.
                            Argumentum ad populum fallacy!

More to the point, those who have experienced Australia can provide objective evidence of its existence whereas those who claim to have experienced the divine cannot provide objective evidence of their alleged experience.
                            Last edited by Tassman; 03-21-2017, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Therefore, the Christian view of the universal is highly selective and arbitrary as to who receives God's Revelation for salvation.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Argumentum ad populum fallacy!
                                Eh, he wasn't making a formal argument. You've been really jumpy on the logical fallacies where they don't exist lately. Knock it off. It makes you look silly.

Comment