Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Secular Ethics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jin-roh View Post
    Seer, under the definition you have proffered for 'subjective' and how I think you understand 'ethics', there are no ethical questions (secular, religious or whatever) that are not subjective.
    Nailed it. You can sum up seer's perspective on ethics in a very simple sentence: All morality is subjective, but God is big enough to make the punishment stick so you better obey.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      Nailed it. You can sum up seer's perspective on ethics in a very simple sentence: All morality is subjective, but God is big enough to make the punishment stick so you better obey.
      No Carrikature it is about whether we live in a just and moral universe or an amoral, unjust universe, and whether there are universal moral truths.
      Last edited by seer; 06-16-2017, 05:00 AM.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        No Carrikature it is about whether we live in a just and moral universe or an amoral, unjust universe, and whether there are universal moral truths.
        How is that remotely related to what I said? No one asked what it's about. It's not as if 'what it's about' is somehow different for other people. All you've done is state the basic point of moral philosophy.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Are secular ethics based on anything other than opinion? Personal or collective? And is any opinion more valid or correct than its opposite? One request in this thread - please don't argue by web link or by cutting and pasting from other people's works. Use your own words.
          I believe so, yes, ethics are more than just opinion. Ethics encompasses both the individual and the collective, because without the individuals, a collective makes no sense, and without the collective, ethics makes no sense. With regard to your second question, if ethics are not just opinion, which in my opinion they are not, then one persons opinion can be more valid than anothers, but only if he is of the correct opinion.
          Last edited by JimL; 06-16-2017, 10:31 PM.

Comment