Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The wonders of human development- NO DEBATES, PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wonders of human development- NO DEBATES, PLEASE!

So, we know a lot more about how a baby grows in it's mother's womb than the ancient Hebrews, but I wouldn't claim that we know everything there is to know about human development. What are some new discoveries/theories about human development? I don't want any debates and I am looking at this from a theistic perspective in that I believe God is ultimately responsible for creating the process in some manner.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

http://www.environmentalhealthnews.o...nked-to-autism

Acetaminophen during pregnancy linked to autism
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

But fevers can be bad also.... So, if the mother gets sick, that can affect her baby for life! Possibly. It's amazing how fast those babies develop in nine months. And the first three years after birth are vital for the amount of changes also. It is amazing! Yes, I have young nieces and it's amazing to see how much they change.

Comment

We actually don't know a ton about human development, given that it's not a system we can experiment on. But we do know a fair bit about vertebrate development through the use of various model systems. The mouse, which has excellent genetics, is the primary model. But chickens are also useful, since you can manipulate the embryo while it's still in the egg, then seal up the egg and let it develop for several days more.

The thing that's impressed me from this work is how important history is. In the system i know best from my own work, a class of signaling protein first tells certain cells to become precursors of nerve cells. The proteins remains expressed on the edge of the developing spinal cord, and from there tells the top third of the neural precursor population to have a distinct identity from the remainder of the cells. Then, different thresholds of the proteins divide the top third into four distinct populations, each of which go on to produce different specialized nerve cells. Once these specialized nerve cells form, they respond to the same signal by migrating away from it.

So, having a history of seeing these signaling proteins helps the same cell population to respond differently to them than the rest of the cells in the developing spinal cord. We know something about the regulatory mechanisms that cause this to take place, but there's a lot of details still to be left out.

We also know a fair bit about the evolutionary logic of how that came about - i can go into that if the thread owner feels that this wouldn't violate the "no debates" rule.
        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
          We actually don't know a ton about human development, given that it's not a system we can experiment on. But we do know a fair bit about vertebrate development through the use of various model systems. The mouse, which has excellent genetics, is the primary model. But chickens are also useful, since you can manipulate the embryo while it's still in the egg, then seal up the egg and let it develop for several days more.

The thing that's impressed me from this work is how important history is. In the system i know best from my own work, a class of signaling protein first tells certain cells to become precursors of nerve cells. The proteins remains expressed on the edge of the developing spinal cord, and from there tells the top third of the neural precursor population to have a distinct identity from the remainder of the cells. Then, different thresholds of the proteins divide the top third into four distinct populations, each of which go on to produce different specialized nerve cells. Once these specialized nerve cells form, they respond to the same signal by migrating away from it.

So, having a history of seeing these signaling proteins helps the same cell population to respond differently to them than the rest of the cells in the developing spinal cord. We know something about the regulatory mechanisms that cause this to take place, but there's a lot of details still to be left out.

We also know a fair bit about the evolutionary logic of how that came about - i can go into that if the thread owner feels that this wouldn't violate the "no debates" rule.
          I'd be interested just to know, if it's acceptable (you won't get any debates out of me over it at least )
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Moderated By: Littlejoe

Moving to a more appropriate (Non Debate) Forum

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

"What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Okay! It is amazing how fast children grow and change. And, yet, it takes over a decade for our species to reach reproductive maturity and two to three decades for cognitive maturity. We are complex.

Comment

Babies are wonderfully made!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Babies are wonderfully made!
                  ...and are fun to make!

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    ...and are fun to make!

Uh...

What's fun about a petri dish?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      Uh...

What's fun about a petri dish?
                      That's decidedly NOT the normal way babies are made (and is morally questionable, to boot).
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

That's decidedly NOT the normal way babies are made (and is morally questionable, to boot).
                        Mainly because they think it's okay to throw away those precious embryos instead of putting all the "extras" up for adoption. And treating babies like a commodity.

Comment

I find it fascinating that everyone learns to communicate by listening to others talk while their own brains are still far from developed.

sigpic

Comment

I find it fascinating that everyone learns to communicate by listening to others talk while their own brains are still far from developed.
                            Babies come with a "database" for how to learn a language. They essentially do a unconscious statistical analysis to figure out what things are called and what words are. So, if you tell a baby that a table is a chair, but everyone else refers to the table as a table, the baby will know the table is a table and just write off "that is a chair" as an outlier. Id they are a toddler/preschooler, they may even laugh and say "OBP! You silly! That's a table, not a chair!"

Comment

My nieces find it funny when I pretend an object(not a hat) is a hat. They know what a hat is. And young humans understand more than they can say. That makes sense. There are still words I know the meaning of that I can't pronounce. Then again, I learned most of my vocabulary from reading, so I wouldn't know the pronunciation.

Comment