Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting El Paso...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

If you really cared about drunk driving, you would push to ban all cars. That would solve the problem. The fact that none of you are willing to consider that means that you don't really care about saving lives.

"I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Is this about me?
      I was honestly a bit puzzled about your post where you said you were going to leave the conversation, because nothing he said struck me as being rude or unreasonable.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I was honestly a bit puzzled about your post where you said you were going to leave the conversation, because nothing he said struck me as being rude or unreasonable.
        I realized we weren't even on the same page -- I wasn't defending guns or anything - I was simply intrigued by the discussion about being "outgunned". When Adrift seemed to be annoyed that I was focused too much on the "side issue", I decided to exit the conversation.

Here's what I said...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I apologize. I thought I was having a civil and reasonable discussion with you.

Exiting.
        That was neither emotional nor...... and I didn't think or say or imply that he said anything "rude or unreasonable".

It just seemed pointless to carry on, as I was not addressing his concerns.

And if you were truly "puzzled about my post", you could have asked rather than assume.
        Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-12-2019, 12:10 PM.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I realized we weren't even on the same page -- I wasn't defending guns or anything - I was simply intrigued by the discussion about being "outgunned". When Adrift seemed to be annoyed that I was focused too much on the "side issue", I decided to exit the conversation.

Here's what I said...

That was neither emotional nor......

It just seemed pointless to carry on, as I was not addressing his concerns.

And if you were truly "puzzled about my post", you could have asked.
          Okay, sorry about the confusion!

Comment

Okay, sorry about the confusion!
            Next time, please ask, OK? To my knowledge, I have NEVER been abrasive or confrontational to you. If I have been, I am truly sorry.

AND, I might add -- Adrift is one of my favorite posters, and it seemed like we were really not gee-hawing. Rather than belabor it, I excused myself. Isn't that Christian?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              I am not saying that looking at media influence is ridiculous, it is real. I am saying dismissing Trump's actions and words when they are direct over an imagined and ridiculous association with 'The Avengers' is ridiculous.
              Which is no more different than your rambling where you let your TDS drive you to the brink of insanity. Crazy people will find any excuse to justify their actions. Even if it’s totally off the wall crazy. Killing people to push off a resource crisis, is, at best, a stopgap if you assume their logic is true. Yet this guy believed he was doing something.

Trump is using increasingly hostile rhetoric against immigrants. His policies are abusive and are being classified outside the US as human rights violations. And your dismissal of anyone having issues with Trump as TDS is also ridiculous - and foolish. We only are prevented from being controlled by our preferred version of 'group think' by taking the time to listen to those that disagree with our point of view.
              His problem is illegal immigrants. If you’re going to lie, make your lie less transparent. Nobody cares what the hypocrites of the international community say. Did they do anything about the Rwanda genocide? No, do they do anything about the murderous Chinese, North Koreans, or Iran? No. Do they do anything against the human rights violations the Middle East does? No, I don’t care what those spineless hacks say.
              Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 08-12-2019, 12:16 PM.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

You totally misread me. I wasn't annoyed with you in the least, to the contrary, I thought it was clear that I was sharing my frustration about the avenues the discussion was taking with someone who was understanding and conciliatory.

No worries though. I realize that lacking body language and tone of voice, it's easy to misread someone's posts.

Comment

It's not the same. Not even close. There is no national agency lobbying to defend the right to drive drunk. There is no "national mood" that defends the right to drive drunk.

You're comparing apples and hand grenades.
                  Yet, which can he actually do something about? Which? There you go.

That is point of demi. Whether there is 'national agency' is irrelevant to point of demi.
                  Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• The point I was trying to get at wasn't so much about anybody's behavior or actions on the forums; it was really about the rest of the post. I just don't get why there seems to be so much resistance toward acknowledging that the culture around gun rights/Second Amendment defenses/gun enthusiasm has some issues.

I think it would help everybody in the long run to try to understand where some of the opposition to guns truly comes from (just like how it would be good for people who know nothing about guns but oppose them to learn more, like how Ruth Bader Ginsburg asked Scalia to take her shooting).

Comment

The point I was trying to get at wasn't so much about anybody's behavior or actions on the forums; it was really about the rest of the post. I just don't get why there seems to be so much resistance toward acknowledging that the culture around gun rights/Second Amendment defenses/gun enthusiasm has some issues.
                      Then your problem isn't with me. I think there are a lot of issues, one of the primary ones being education, along with the enforcement of existing gun laws.

I think it would help everybody in the long run to try to understand where some of the opposition to guns truly comes from (just like how it would be good for people who know nothing about guns but oppose them to learn more, like how Ruth Bader Ginsburg asked Scalia to take her shooting).
                      Like I said - education.

Comment

I just don't get why there seems to be so much resistance toward acknowledging that the culture around gun rights/Second Amendment defenses/gun enthusiasm has some issues.
                        demi not American, no horse in race, no problems with pointing out of issues in USA, also US conservatism. demi wonders,

Yes, there are fanatics, but what is point of this? Lots of crazy people about lots of things, also does not mean they dominate culture.

Comment

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

If you really cared about drunk driving, you would push to ban all cars. That would solve the problem. The fact that none of you are willing to consider that means that you don't really care about saving lives.

Congrats on huge strawman, also snark.

demi wants death penalty for second time. For first drunk killing, demi still not decided, thinks can leave open to judge, jail to death penalty.

Comment

The point I was trying to get at wasn't so much about anybody's behavior or actions on the forums; it was really about the rest of the post. I just don't get why there seems to be so much resistance toward acknowledging that the culture around gun rights/Second Amendment defenses/gun enthusiasm has some issues.....
                            Thinking on this some more -- I think it's a matter of trust.

Just like the current (vocal) batch of liberals resist ANY opposition to abortion because they see it as a slippery slope to abolishing abortion altogether.
                            I think conservatives see ANY capitulation to the left as the slippery slope to banning all guns.

There is no trust.

Comment

Thinking on this some more -- I think it's a matter of trust.

Just like the current (vocal) batch of liberals resist ANY opposition to abortion because they see it as a slippery slope to abolishing abortion altogether.
                              I think conservatives see ANY capitulation to the left as the slippery slope to banning all guns.

There is no trust.

At least in my case you know where I stand.

Comment

The point I was trying to get at wasn't so much about anybody's behavior or actions on the forums; it was really about the rest of the post. I just don't get why there seems to be so much resistance toward acknowledging that the culture around gun rights/Second Amendment defenses/gun enthusiasm has some issues.

This is magnificent. Honestly I think one thing we can do is change some of the slogans and such. How about something like " A steady mind and a steady hand are necessary".
                                sigpic

Comment