Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Far too many here are in the mold of Carroll's Queen of Hearts expressing the "Sentence first! Verdict afterwards." mentality.
    Or "got a rope - trial will follow hangin'".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Far too many here are in the mold of Carroll's Queen of Hearts expressing the "Sentence first! Verdict afterwards." mentality.
      Nadler angered a lot of Senators (and members of his own team) when he insisted during opening arguments that a vote to acquit would be regarded as a cover up.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Nadler angered a lot of Senators (and members of his own team) when he insisted during opening arguments that a vote to acquit would be regarded as a cover up.
        Which, after the President's Team angrily responded to this crap, caused Justice Roberts to step in and say...

"It is appropriate at this point for me to admonish both the House managers and the president's counsel in equal terms to remember that they are addressing the world's greatest deliberative body," Roberts said. "One reason it has earned that title is because its members avoid speaking in a manner, and using language, that is not conducive to civil discourse. "

He continued: "In the 1905 [Judge Charles] Swayne trial, a senator objected when one of the managers used the word 'pettifogging' -- and the presiding officer said the word ought not to have been used. I don't think we need to aspire to that high a standard, but I do think those addressing the Senate should remember where they are."
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• The leftist media is literally treating Schiff's droning nonsense as "the best speech since I Have A Dream". I wish I were kidding...
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Republican senators will make their decisions not based on the evidence before them, but what vote helps to get them re-elected.

It is the nature of the American system of government that politics so easily overrides justice at this level of the hierarchy.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Republican senators will make their decisions not based on the evidence before them, but what vote helps to get them re-elected.

It is the nature of the American system of government that politics so easily overrides justice at this level of the hierarchy.
              You act as if the two are mutually exclusive here.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                The leftist media is literally treating Schiff's droning nonsense as "the best speech since I Have A Dream". I wish I were kidding...
                I wish you could hear what Schiff is saying. 'here right matters'. And unfortunately, that is no longer true. Yet you, MM and others mock it, like its a joke.

It is no joke.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You act as if the two are mutually exclusive here.
                  You could make it that senators are elected for only one term in two or three, say, and they may not be lobbyists for industry, and so on, if you wanted to separate money, justice and politics. Drain the swamp!
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    I wish you could hear what Schiff is saying. 'here right matters'. And unfortunately, that is no longer true. Yet you, MM and others mock it, like its a joke.

It is no joke.
                    I'm laughing at Schiff making absurd comments like the Judiciary and the population of the country not being trusted to decide what is right. Only HE and the House can, and the Senate BETTER agree with them or else...
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I'm laughing at Schiff making absurd comments like the Judiciary and the population of the country not being trusted to decide what is right. Only HE and the House can, and the Senate BETTER agree with them or else...
                      You would do well to stop listening to the GOP spin zone and start looking at what was actually said.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        You would do well to stop listening to the GOP spin zone and start looking at what was actually said.
                        I listened, Jim. You would do well to stop playing Karnak when it comes to what I listen to and what I don't.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          You could make it that senators are elected for only one term in two or three, say, and they may not be lobbyists for industry, and so on, if you wanted to separate money, justice and politics. Drain the swamp!
                          I'd support that all day. Maybe allow one per state to serve a second term just so there is SOME continuity.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I listened, Jim. You would do well to stop playing Karnak when it comes to what I listen to and what I don't.
                            Your post #174 suggests otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Your post #174 suggests otherwise.
                              I stated just what the idiot said!
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Karnak?

The point of course is that you are allowing opportunistic spin to cloud your judgement of what was actually said, and the reality behind it. And the reality is, Schiff is referring to the fact Donald Trump has openly requested and now attempted to purposfully enlist help from foreign governments to win our election. Which means that we need to act to remove him both for the principle of it, and before he (or some successor eyeing the fact Trump got away with it) is actually successful in those efforts and secures an election through illegal means.

Again, you and others keep acting like what Trump has done is something trivial, something without long term consequence. And it is truly ignorant to do that. It's a lot like watching teenagers laugh at the warning from adults that playing in the quarry is dangerous. Then, of course, the only thing that will sober them up is if one of them dies or is seriously hurt.

You'd think that being adults you would have learned about the folly of that sort of a mindset. But apparently not.

Comment