Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Well it has been disconnected from teamviewer for about an hour now. I am not sure if teamviewer will start up automatically once windows 10 is installed or not. I will give it another hour or so.
    Yeah, I bet Win10 is in one of those reboot phases and is probably waiting for you to hit "continue" or something. Teamviewer's process doesn't load until the computer is actually up and running.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yeah, I bet Win10 is in one of those reboot phases and is probably waiting for you to hit "continue" or something. Teamviewer's process doesn't load until the computer is actually up and running.
      probably. I will take care of it when I get home tonight.

Comment

probably. I will take care of it when I get home tonight.
        Lemme know - I'm curious.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It was sitting at a log in prompt. After I logged in, it did the blue screen that says "This may take a while" - when it was finished, I noticed there was no wifi connections. Turns out Windows 10 doesn't like my USB TP-Link wifi adapter. Its a bit old. But I had a newer one available and when I plugged it in, it worked. So it was most likely the wi-fi adapter not connecting

Looks good. no other problems I see (yet)

Oh and it shows that it is activated.

Windows 10 Pro
          Last edited by Sparko; 01-16-2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

It was sitting at a log in prompt. After I logged in, it did the blue screen that says "This may take a while" - when it was finished, I noticed there was no wifi connections. Turns out Windows 10 doesn't like my USB TP-Link wifi adapter. Its a bit old. But I had a newer one available and when I plugged it in, it worked. So it was most likely the wi-fi adapter not connecting

Looks good. no other problems I see (yet)

Oh and it shows that it is activated.

Windows 10 Pro
            I'd say you're home free.

(well, you're home, evidently)

Comment

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade

I did this for my secretary this weekend - upgraded from 7Pro to Win10Pro for FREE.

Microsoft's much-hyped free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ended in 2016, right? Not exactly. The GWX tool may be gone, but all the other upgrade tools still work. The end result is an apparently valid digital license, and there's no evidence that the free upgrades will end any time soon.

Updated January 7, 2020: Thank you to the many readers who have continued to provide firsthand reports that this procedure still works. The overwhelming majority of reader reports confirm that this upgrade is still available. A small number of readers have reported that the upgrade fails because of a Setup error or a compatibility block. For details on how to troubleshoot these errors, see "This free Windows 10 upgrade offer still works. Here's why - and how to get it.".
              Many thanks.

I had upgraded years back when the free upgrade offer came out, then reverted to Windows 7 when I didn't like 10. Encouraged by your saying a second free upgrade is possible provided I had already had Windows 10 at some point, I have now re-upgraded with no problems.

Windows 10 seems less intrusive into my privacy now than then, and to my relief Back Up has started working again.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hayward View Post
                Many thanks.

I had upgraded years back when the free upgrade offer came out, then reverted to Windows 7 when I didn't like 10. Encouraged by your saying a second free upgrade is possible provided I had already had Windows 10 at some point, I have now re-upgraded with no problems.

Windows 10 seems less intrusive into my privacy now than then, and to my relief Back Up has started working again.
                I think Microsoft probably saw this as averting a disaster with people still calling for support on prior OS, and them having to explain, blah blah blah.... and security vulnerabilities not being addressed in prior OS....

Glad you're up and running. I never did like the 10 interface, so I use a Windows7 style menu system for FREE.

Comment

Update:

After running for a few weeks, the old PC gave up the ghost. At first I thought it was the CPU fan because it wouldn't start and without it running the mobo won't boot. It has happened before, so I had a spare and replaced it. Still nothing. I eventually came to the conclusion that the motherboard was bad.

So I ended up buying a new motherboard (ASROCKS X470 SLI/AC) and an AMD Ryzen 3 3200G CPU, and of course I had to buy new memory too. I spent about $300 total.

Then I spent all day yesterday putting it together. I had it all installed and everything hooked up and when I turned it on, Nothing! Crap! I checked everything, it all looked good. Reseated the memory. Still nothing.

So I had to take everything apart and remove the motherboard from the case to get the CPU off (the stupid fan screws into a plate on the bottom of the mobo so once you take off the fan, the plate drops down and you can't reattach the fan unless you can hold the plate in place, which means removing the motherboard)

I stuck some glue on the stupid plate so it will remain attached to the mobo the next time I have to take off the fan and not have to remove the motherboard next time.

Anyhoo, I took off the CPU, all the pins looked fine, it was in the correct orientation, so I put it all back together, reassembled the whole thing again, and turned it on. and it worked!!!

So then I had to reactivate windows 10 again, and install all the new drivers. Then I decided to do a backup of the whole thing using Acronis. Halfway through the backup, it complains about a bad sector on the HDD. AARRRRGH! so I ran some checks and it looks like the hard drive is failing.

Now, I just ordered a new drive. Went ahead and got one of those NVMe SSDs. they look like a memory stick. 512K. It was only $64. Man, the SSD prices have really dropped.

So next weekend when I have time, I will probably to a fresh windows 10 install on the SSD. There wasn't that much on the old one in the way of programs or data anyway, so better to start fresh.

So how do you do a fresh install of windows 10?

Comment

Update:

After running for a few weeks, the old PC gave up the ghost. At first I thought it was the CPU fan because it wouldn't start and without it running the mobo won't boot. It has happened before, so I had a spare and replaced it. Still nothing. I eventually came to the conclusion that the motherboard was bad.

So I ended up buying a new motherboard (ASROCKS X470 SLI/AC) and an AMD Ryzen 3 3200G CPU, and of course I had to buy new memory too. I spent about $300 total.

Then I spent all day yesterday putting it together. I had it all installed and everything hooked up and when I turned it on, Nothing! Crap! I checked everything, it all looked good. Reseated the memory. Still nothing.

So I had to take everything apart and remove the motherboard from the case to get the CPU off (the stupid fan screws into a plate on the bottom of the mobo so once you take off the fan, the plate drops down and you can't reattach the fan unless you can hold the plate in place, which means removing the motherboard)

I stuck some glue on the stupid plate so it will remain attached to the mobo the next time I have to take off the fan and not have to remove the motherboard next time.

Anyhoo, I took off the CPU, all the pins looked fine, it was in the correct orientation, so I put it all back together, reassembled the whole thing again, and turned it on. and it worked!!!

So then I had to reactivate windows 10 again, and install all the new drivers. Then I decided to do a backup of the whole thing using Acronis. Halfway through the backup, it complains about a bad sector on the HDD. AARRRRGH! so I ran some checks and it looks like the hard drive is failing.

Now, I just ordered a new drive. Went ahead and got one of those NVMe SSDs. they look like a memory stick. 512K. It was only $64. Man, the SSD prices have really dropped.

So next weekend when I have time, I will probably to a fresh windows 10 install on the SSD. There wasn't that much on the old one in the way of programs or data anyway, so better to start fresh.

I can check, but I think there's actually a download where you can make a flash-drive an install source, and you could set your BIOS to "boot from USB", no?

Lemme check.

Comment

I have an older computer that runs Win 7 and presently gets stuck trying to fix start up. I don't have a recovery disc of Win 7 (working on that) but since I'm planning on a system restore anyway, could a Win 10 work? We were planning to upgrade to Win 10 anyway.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        I have an older computer that runs Win 7 and presently gets stuck trying to fix start up. I don't have a recovery disc of Win 7 (working on that) but since I'm planning on a system restore anyway, could a Win 10 work? We were planning to upgrade to Win 10 anyway.
                        Will your Win7 boot up and connect to the internet? If so, and your hardware passes minimum requirements, you should be able to upgrade for free. Maybe booting up in safe mode?

Comment

I can check, but I think there's actually a download where you can make a flash-drive an install source, and you could set your BIOS to "boot from USB", no?

Lemme check.
                          That's how I installed it on my new computer. My motherboard was even smart enough to detect it and automatically set the boot sequence to USB first.
                          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Will your Win7 boot up and connect to the internet? If so, and your hardware passes minimum requirements, you should be able to upgrade for free. Maybe booting up in safe mode?
                            No, it goes into start up repair even if I tell it to start normally. I found something about hitting F8 to get to repair that I haven't tried yet. Don't know how to try safe mode - it wasn't an option on the 'windows didn't start normally' screen.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              No, it goes into start up repair even if I tell it to start normally. I found something about hitting F8 to get to repair that I haven't tried yet. Don't know how to try safe mode - it wasn't an option on the 'windows didn't start normally' screen.
                              Here's how to start Win7 in Safe Mode ---- basically, as soon as you turn on your computer, start tapping the F8 key until you get a startup screen.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-star...e-mode-2624540

Comment

Update:

So, you can download the Media Creation Tool, but instead of "Upgrade this PC Now", you want to....

If you've downloaded the Media Creation Tool on the machine you plan to upgrade, and you plan to upgrade one and only one PC, you can choose the Upgrade this PC now option and be done with it.

If you're running the tool on a different PC, or if you just want more flexibility, choose the second option and save the installation files to a USB drive or as an ISO file.

After the download is complete, double-click the ISO file to mount it and open a File Explorer window; or, if you chose the option to create a bootable drive, open the USB flash drive in File Explorer and run Setup from there. Note that you cannot boot from the newly created USB drive or DVD to perform an upgrade. You must run the Windows 10 setup program from your currently installed and activated copy of Windows.

Then just follow the prompts to complete the upgrade. You will not be asked for a product key, and when the upgrade is complete and you've connected to the Internet, you'll have a digital license to Windows 10, which you can confirm by going to Settings > Update & Security > Activation.

The digital license is associated with that specific device, which means you can reformat the disk and perform a clean installation of the same edition of Windows 10 anytime. You won't need a product key, and activation is automatic.

Ah, WAIT!!!! After reading this gain, no joy! Lemme check something else.

Comment