Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Frankly, my dear,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Free speech does not require wisdom or sensitivity, as you and your ilk prove over and over. I do notice you ignored my question(s).
    Of course books and movies should depict life and history honestly, that's what art is all about. But community living requires wisdom and sensitivity at times, especially re the blacks, given their past abuses in the Deep South. And an annual screening of a movie in Memphis about the "good ol' days" when the blacks knew their place does not fit into the category of wisdom and sensitivity in these troubled times.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I can't believe how stupid the world has become.

https://etcanada.com/news/250988/mem...sitive-racist/

Tearing down Confederate monuments continues to be a hot-button issue in the American South, and the controversy has apparently spilled over from statues to films set in the era of the Civil War.

This, in fact, is what led the Orpheum Theater in Memphis, Tennessee, to axe the 1940 Oscar-winner “Gone With the Wind” from next year’s summer schedule following a screening on Aug. 11, after which the theatre received “numerous comments” from the public, reports Entertainment Weekly.

After meeting to discuss the issue, the theatre’s board agreed that showing the film classic starring Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh, which depicts the Civil War from a Confederate perspective, would be “insensitive” given the current political climate.

“While title selections for the series are typically made in the spring of each year, the Orpheum has made this determination early in response to specific inquiries from patrons,” read a statement from The Orpheum Theatre Group. “The Orpheum appreciates feedback on its programming from all members of the mid-south community. The recent screening of ‘Gone With the Wind’ at the Orpheum on Friday, August 11, 2017, generated numerous comments. The Orpheum carefully reviewed all of them.”

According to EW, the theatre’s Facebook page was deluged with comments about the film, with one commenter calling the film “racist” while another added, “slowly but surely, we will rid this community of all tributes to white supremacy.”

I want to throw up now.
      Off the rug, please! I agree, and Alice in Wonderland rules apply here at the Mad Hatters Tea Party.

The controversy of the 'Silent Sam' statue of a Confederate solder on the UNC campus was not placed by the will of the students, faculty, but a big donor 'Confederate Daddy War Bucks' Julian Carr owner of large tracks of land and many slaves, and a life long advocate and justification of slavery and racial supremacy, and bragged about whipping a black woman until clothing in shred and bleeding.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-08-2017, 09:01 PM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        But if Disney produced Song of the South today, they'd deserve the backlash they'd get.
        I wouldn't know. Disney won't let me see the film.

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
        ...there's nothing in Song of the South that's as offensive as the Indians in Peter Pan (just as much of a kid's film as Song of the South was).
        Peter Pan is offensive to native Neverlanders. Or was it? Maybe it was an accurate portrayal of native Neverlanders.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Off the rug, please! I agree, and Alice in Wonderland rules apply here at the Mad Hatters Tea Party.

The controversy of the 'Silent Sam' statue of a Confederate solder on the UNC campus was not placed by the will of the students, faculty, but a big donor 'Confederate Daddy War Bucks' Julian Carr owner of large tracks of land and many slaves, and a life long advocate and justification of slavery and racial supremacy, and bragged about whipping a black woman until clothing in shred and bleeding.
          The same Julian Carr who donated the money to keep Duke University afloat with fellow tobacco plantation slave owner, and namesake of the uni, Washington Duke?
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Of course books and movies should depict life and history honestly, that's what art is all about. But community living requires wisdom and sensitivity at times, especially re the blacks, given their past abuses in the Deep South. And an annual screening of a movie in Memphis about the "good ol' days" when the blacks knew their place does not fit into the category of wisdom and sensitivity in these troubled times.
            That's racist.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

White nationalist leader David Duke thanked President Trump for blaming violence in Charlottesville, Va., on the "alt-left." Duke thanked Trump for his "honesty & courage" in a tweet.
              So what? Jesse Matthew voted for Obama.
              That's what
              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                That's racist.
                What's racist is the annual screening in the Deep South of a movie made in 1939 depicting blacks as second-class citizens. Why not alternate it with the 1935 Nazi propaganda film, 'Triumph of the Will' directed by Leni Riefenstahl. That would pack them in at the Memphis cinema.

So what? Jesse Matthew voted for Obama.
                You know this do you? I wonder, did any criminals vote for Trump?
                Last edited by Tassman; 09-14-2017, 05:33 AM.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

You're missing the point, dippy: you can appeal to "guilt by association" for literally anybody, - even Jesus associated with sinners - and the argument would be just as stupid.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The same Julian Carr who donated the money to keep Duke University afloat with fellow tobacco plantation slave owner, and namesake of the uni, Washington Duke?
                    Are you implying the wealthy can buy respectability?
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

What's racist is the annual screening in the Deep South of a movie made in 1939 depicting blacks as second-class citizens.
                      While we are at it, let's ban The Wizard of Oz because it treats little people like side-show minstrels. Or Citizen Kane because Kane kept company with Hitler. Or The Maltese Falcon because it glorifies gun violence. Face it... You're an idiot.

Why not alternate it with the 1935 Nazi propaganda film, 'Triumph of the Will' directed by Leni Riefenstahl. That would pack them in at the Memphis cinema.
                      Because GWTW was not a propaganda film, you clod...

You know this do you? I wonder, did any criminals vote for Trump?
                      Yes. I know this. My niece's RA at UVA in her freshman year had met Matthew on a few occasions near campus. We talked about what her RA told her about him shortly after his arrest.

The point being your side's guilt by association fallacy is ignorant.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        Are you implying the wealthy can buy respectability?
                        No. I am implying that your side is inconsistent in their outrage. Where is the petition to change the name of Duke University since its namesake was a slave owner, and its primary financier at the time was too?
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I like Tassman! That makes him a deplorable white supremacist Nazi Alt-right Republican!

Comment

While we are at it, let's ban The Wizard of Oz because it treats little people like side-show minstrels. Or Citizen Kane because Kane kept company with Hitler. Or The Maltese Falcon because it glorifies gun violence. Face it... You're an idiot.
                            "Little people" are not a social issue in the way that blacks are, given the resurgence of the White Supremacists. Further, they were not lynched by the KKK...unless they were black little people. Face it, your attempts at reductio ad absurdum are dishonest.

Because GWTW was not a propaganda film, you clod...
                            GWTW is being used as a propaganda film by being screened annually in Deep South Memphis

Yes. I know this. My niece's RA at UVA in her freshman year had met Matthew on a few occasions near campus. We talked about what her RA told her about him shortly after his arrest.
                            Oh your niece told you that Matthews voted for Obama. But of course he did. It's what black murderers did, isn't it?

The point being your side's guilt by association fallacy is ignorant.
                            The guilt lies in the regular screening of a film demeaning to blacks in a city where Jim Crow laws were in place until 1965.

Comment

No. I am implying that your side is inconsistent in their outrage. Where is the petition to change the name of Duke University since its namesake was a slave owner, and its primary financier at the time was too?
                              I understand the biography of Duke, and just being a slave owner is not the main problem for Julian Carr. Many of our founding fathers were slave owners, and again, that is not primary reason for the problems with Julian Carr.

Frank

Comment

given the resurgence of the White Supremacists
                                There is no "resurgence" of White Supremacists. They have always been there and in the same numbers, and doing the same things, with the same rallies. The only reason you even notice them now is because of the attention they are getting by the MSM and the liberals trying to use them as a club against Trump and regular conservatives. This is all media hype.

Comment