Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    That is, of course, the significant flaw in attempts to compare Trump to Nixon. Democrats never did figure out what crime Trump is supposed to have committed, so they settled on the vague catch-all term "abuse of power". Then there's "obstruction of Congress" which isn't even a crime!

As I've said before, for all the legal weight the articles of impeachment have, they may as well have charged the President with "abuse of Congress" and "obstruction of power".
    Even if "obstruction of congress" was a thing, it's not that - it's standing up to a small group of partisan hacks on one committee of one HALF of Congress.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Even if "obstruction of congress" was a thing, it's not that - it's standing up to a small group of partisan hacks on one committee of one HALF of Congress.
      The Democrats might have had a better case if they had bothered to make the impeachment inquiry official with a full vote of the House.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The Democrats might have had a better case if they had bothered to make the impeachment inquiry official with a full vote of the House.
        There are SO MANY problems with the way they botched this, not the least of which was putting shifty Schiff in charge.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There are SO MANY problems with the way they botched this, not the least of which was putting shifty Schiff in charge.
          Which is why I sometimes wonder if it's all a big Machiavellian scheme by Pelosi to torpedo impeachment. But then the Democrats have been working closely with Lawfare since after the 2018 elections to find every legal loophole they can to push impeachment through non-traditional channels, so it could all be deliberate, just incompetently executed.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Which is why I sometimes wonder if it's all a big Machiavellian scheme by Pelosi to torpedo impeachment. But then the Democrats have been working closely with Lawfare since after the 2018 elections to find every legal loophole they can to push impeachment through non-traditional channels, so it could all be deliberate, just incompetently executed.
            It really is a mind-boggling thing - it's like they fired a bullet they cannot recall, so now they're trying to figure out ways to justify it.

I think they took a HUGE gamble, because in their own big bubble, they actually thought the 'hearings' were going to sway the American people, and the Senate would have no choice but to vote to convict and remove.

Comment

It really is a mind-boggling thing - it's like they fired a bullet they cannot recall, so now they're trying to figure out ways to justify it.

I think they took a HUGE gamble, because in their own big bubble, they actually thought the 'hearings' were going to sway the American people, and the Senate would have no choice but to vote to convict and remove.
              One of my favorite Youtubers says that there's a study showing that conservatives can generally predict liberal positions but liberals can't do the reverse.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm still leaning toward the idea that they never thought Trump was going to release the transcript from the call between him and Zelensky so that they would be able to present the Ciaramella-Schift version as accurate instead of the uncorroborated spurious gossip that the actual legitimate evidence indicates that it is.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I'm still leaning toward the idea that they never thought Trump was going to release the transcript from the call between him and Zelensky so that they would be able to present the Ciaramella-Schift version as accurate instead of the uncorroborated spurious gossip that the actual legitimate evidence indicates that it is.
                  I think there were a number of things they never anticipated, but, yeah, I think Trump really tossed them a hand grenade, and exposed Schiff for the lying little crooked vengeful partisan he is.

Comment

I think there were a number of things they never anticipated, but, yeah, I think Trump really tossed them a hand grenade, and exposed Schiff for the lying little crooked vengeful partisan he is.
                    I'd say that any plans he had to continue rising through the Democratic Leadership just suffered a severe body blow

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I'd say that any plans he had to continue rising through the Democratic Leadership just suffered a severe body blow
                      Unfortunately, it appears he's in a very safe district, and will probably be applauded and reelected for his corrupt conduct.

Comment

• Impeachment has blown up in the faces of Democrats, and it's their own fault

Even some of the anti-Trumpers are realizing what a flop this impeachment circus has been, but, like Hillary, can't quite seem to figure out WHY.

Rick Wilson, the anti-Trump political consultant most famous for his 2016 meltdown, believes Democrats have really screwed up their freak show of an impeachment. He’s right about that, but not for the reasons he gives.

Wilson wrote this week in a column for the Daily Beast that Democrats are “blowing” impeachment because they don’t “fight.” He is specifically unhappy that they took a moment to reach an agreement on the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, which, in addition to being good for American workers, may have the added benefit of being politically good for President Trump.

To start, the USMCA deal was as good for Democrats as it was for everyone else. Labor unions, which usually support Democrats, got everything they wanted. And second, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi would rightly take issue with the notion that House Democrats don’t know how to fight. Having initiated the most drastic measure constitutionally possible against a sitting president of the U.S., based on what he said in a phone call, she knows how to fight.

If that’s not fighting, then Rick Wilson isn’t bald.

The real issue, as the polls show, is that impeachment has not at all gone the way Democrats hoped. Support for it in swing states has fallen since the hearings last month, and it has done nothing to help the flailing cast of Democrats running for president.

Comment

Unfortunately, it appears he's in a very safe district, and will probably be applauded and reelected for his corrupt conduct.
                          Impeachment is an option.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Impeachment is an option.
                            For Schiff? Who would impeach him?

Comment

For Schiff? Who would impeach him?
                              Yes. The Republican led House.

We'll see.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                Yes. The Republican led House.

We'll see.
                                If the Republicans retake the House in 2020 at the very least Schiff won't be chairman of anything and I wouldn't be completely surprised that as a result the Democrats take steps to ensure he never will again.

Comment