Exploratory Thread: Mutants and Masterminds 2e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploratory Thread: Mutants and Masterminds 2e

Okay, folks... If you've every wanted to play a Street-Level super-hero, this is the chance for you to do so! What do I mean by "Street Level"? I'm referring to your military-trained vigilantes, your paranormal investigators, your low-end mutants, your cyborgs, your time cops, and your ninjas.

You don't have the book? Not a problem, let me know if you're interested in this game and I'll PM you a link to get it.

Here's how it's gonna go down:
    -Cinematic Iron-Age Heroes (with a cherry on top): Your heroes will be Power Level 8, but instead of having 120 Power Points to spend, you get an extra 10 PP (which makes it 130 Power Points)
    -Heroics is Serious Business: This is a grittier campaign, so keep that in mind as you make your characters.

Additional Rules (Things to keep in mind when you start making your characters... don't worry, this will make sense when you start character creation)
    -No Iron Man Meets Harry Potter: If your hero packs technological Power Armor that shoots lasers from everywhere but it’s backside, that’s fine. If you’re a mage that channels her spells via her twin hand-cannons, that’s also fine. What isn’t fine is a Psychic who can cast magic and has a Super-Science device that can create time portals. Pick a concept with one Power source and stick with it.
    -Every Hero Has their Limitations: I require that you have one Complication and One Drawback minimum.
    -Largest number goes first: When making Power Arrays, the Alternate Powers' ranks can't exceed the base Power (ie, you want to have Magnetic Control 8, with Strike as an Alternate Power. That’s fine, but the rank of your alternate power can’t exceed 8, so you might as well get an Extra on that power to balance out the excess points)
    -Your Time to Shine: With my permission, and provided it suits your character's 'flavor', you can exceed the Power Level Limits by a maximum of two ranks (ie, Let’s say that your Hero is an Assassin-type. I’ll let you take Sneak Attack enough times that it can exceed the maximum Damage limit by two ranks. Or let's say that your hero is an Aquatic hero... you can take "Favored Environment (Aquatic)" without worrying about Power Level Limits.)
    -No Slow Fade for You: You can only take Slow Fade on Powers that fade normally... and only once. If you take the “Fades” flaw on a power, you can’t take the Slow Fade Power Feat.

Note: This is only an exploratory thread, so this won't be happening right away. Take this time to share Superhero concepts and makes sure we don't have a "Vampire, Meet Vampire Hunter" type of party.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

I'm going to see if I can find my teleporting swordsman, but define 'grittier'.

And...Iron Age? Is the setting medieval-ish?
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      I'm going to see if I can find my teleporting swordsman, but define 'grittier'.

And...Iron Age? Is the setting medieval-ish?
      Iron Age is an age of comics where things were dark and gritty. Think along the lines of the Punisher.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
        Iron Age is an age of comics where things were dark and gritty. Think along the lines of the Punisher.
        Oh.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Any good resources for building our characters?
          "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I support the :
          sigpic

Comment

Here's the 'teaser' from the "What do YOU want to play?" Thread, just so people don't have to go to that thread to find out what's going on.

To: Viper (Viper@Brood.com)
            Subject: Recent Recon File (Urgent Priority)

One of our corporate spies found something of critical interest with one of their scouting drones. Here’s the audio from our espionage over at Voltt Industries…

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Mr. Voltt, sir?”

“Yes, Miss Helmsby. What is it?”

“There’s someone here to see you, sir. He claims to be an old friend of yours.”

“That so? I have many old friends. What’s this one like?”

“Well, this one in particular seems to disregard our company’s non-smoking policy, but he’s giving off a certain vibe that makes none of our security guards seem willing to confiscate his pipe from him.”

“Oh. THAT old friend.” *amused chuckle* “Send him in.”

*A couple minutes of silence, followed by a door crash*

“Geez, you’d think those cretins you’ve got down there would appreciate the nice aroma of a good jalapeno chocolate pipe tobacco… Nothing but grumblers, I tell you.”

“Their grumbling was probably more due to my strict non-smoking policy than their taste in aromatics, Nexus.”

“Eh, whatever.” *tapping noise* “Now that I’ve got your attention, have you given any thought to my offer?”

“*Sigh* I figured that’s what this was about. As much as I’d love to get back down there and help you clean up the streets, I’ve got my hands full as the CEO of this company.”

“Well, if not you, then surely at least you could spare your cyborg, that Bionic Ice character.”

“No can do. It’s public knowledge that he’s employed by Voltt Industries. You know the law as well as I do… If he starts getting involved in vigilante shenanigans, I’ll be up to my ears in Metahuman investigations. That’s also partially why I can’t don my Gigavolt armor and go down there.”

“Great… Well, that almost leaves me up the creek without a paddle when it comes to veteran hero backup.”

“Almost? Don’t tell me you’re planning to consult the Reciprocator for--”

“Not a chance. Unless I absolutely have to, that guy is staying as far away from this project of mine as possible. Things are already bad enough as it is… I don’t need some crazy monk completely undoing my work six months from now just to fulfill some stupid Oath.”

“Geez. How bad is it down there...?”

“You really wanna know? You’ve got your typical creepy cultists, these ones with a hair obsession, randomly kidnapping people for I-don’t-even-want-to-know-what infernal purpose.”

“Cultists? That doesn’t sound pretty. That can’t be all, though.”

“You’re right… that’s only the tip of the iceberg. There’s a pack of mercenaries and assassins slithering about, selling their skills and their tech- which is insanely advanced- to the highest bidder.”

“Ugh. Do I want to know what lies at the bottom of this iceberg?”

“Maybe… There’s rumors that the mob is making a grab for power here by uniting the local crime-lords. Apparently, they’ve got an ace up their sleeve that’s gotten them really cocky.”

“So, Cultists, the Mob, and High-Tech Mercenaries? That sounds like an unhealthy combination for anyone to deal with. If things are that bad down there, I’m surprised that the government hasn’t sent in the Battle Brigade.”

“Not a chance. They wouldn’t risk their prized Superhero team breaking a nail over something they’ve probably got their greasy hands in.”

*chuckle*“Somehow, your opinion on that matter doesn’t surprise me. Either way, my hands are tied. I wish you well in finding some other vigilantes to help you.”

“Thanks… I’m sick of this political baloney restricting supers to being government flunkies, prison numbers, or corporate shills- no offense.”

“None taken; I’m not a fan either. Even with my corporate sponsorship, Bionic Ice is still highly restricted as to what he can do.”

“Hey, look on the bright side. If I pull this off, maybe Washington will take the hint that their silly little Superhero Sponsorship Act isn’t worth the Paper it’s- Hold on, I think I just bumped into something.”

“Really? What?”

“I don’t know… let’s find out.”

*Decloaking sound, followed by the sound of crunching and twisting of metal, ending with static*

“Rea--y, V—tt… Y—ne-d to d- s-me bett—ba--gr—nd che-ks on you—em—oy—s…”
            --------------------------------------------------------------

On a related note, our spy was discovered and terminated moments after they sent this to me.

If this plan of Nexus's comes to fruition, this could potentially spell trouble for us. I await your input on as to what we should do about this matter…

===========================

To: Dr. Mongoose (Mongoose@Brood.com)
            Subject: RE: Recent Recon File (Urgent Priority)

I wouldn’t worry too much about this Nexus character... From what I know, his powers are of a highly unstable nature. As for this so-called band of ‘heroes’ he plans to assemble, find out where they’re supposed to meet and send a small squad there. See if you can find a way to ‘anonymously’ tip off the other groups as well. Might as well nip this in the bud.

============

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
              Any good resources for building our characters?
              I think Hero-Lab has a Mutants and Masterminds character creator (If you go that route, M&M Second Edition is the one you're looking for). Other than that, I've done things by ear relying on the handbook.

Comment

I'm making a telekinetic ghost, but I have a question about ability scores. I'm taking Insubstantial Rank 4, Duration: Continuous, Flaw: Permanent to get a permanent incorporeal form. The incorporeal form has a non-existent strength score. I'm planning to drop Constitution to 0 (I have a Regeneration Power planned). I should be able to drop Strength to 0 too, since I can't use it anyway, right?
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

is this ok to generate character? http://www.pathguy.com/d20modern.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
                    That's a D&D character generator...
                    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    I support the :
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      I'm making a telekinetic ghost, but I have a question about ability scores. I'm taking Insubstantial Rank 4, Duration: Continuous, Flaw: Permanent to get a permanent incorporeal form. The incorporeal form has a non-existent strength score. I'm planning to drop Constitution to 0 (I have a Regeneration Power planned). I should be able to drop Strength to 0 too, since I can't use it anyway, right?
                      Yep. As a matter of fact, it says in the book you have no strength if you take rank 4. Just remember, only your Mental and Sensory powers will affect the corporeal world unless you take the Affects Corporeal Extra on the other powers (a fairly reasonable tradeoff)

Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
                      Nope. This game is running off a different rule-system entirely (Mutants and Masterminds).

Comment

When are you planning to get started?
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          When are you planning to get started?
                          Not right away. I've got to build the world a little more before I'm ready to go (No, Teal, don't worry. I don't have 5000 different NPCs to keep track of). If you're still interested I can send you the handbook.

Comment

(4998 instead, huh? )

I was more concerned about having time myself - as long as you aren't starting right away, I should be able to play. Send the book, please.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              (4998 instead, huh? )

I was more concerned about having time myself - as long as you aren't starting right away, I should be able to play. Send the book, please.
                              Book Sent. For those who demand a specific time-frame, I don't see myself starting this campaign for about a month. I've got other things to do over the next month (including some visiting to do in the middle of June.)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X