Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democratic Fortunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Democratic Fortunes

I found this article timely and I believe it is an accurate prediction of the future. Much as I am glad that we now have at least one part of our federal government in the hands of an alternate party, I think the junior representatives entering with so much bluster (and naivete, in some cases) are going to find themselves confronting the reality of the limitations of what they can accomplish.

Essentially, I think the next two years they should focus their efforts on casting a light on the goings on within the Executive and Congressional branches, and doing everything possible to put a break on the agenda of stripping our country of environmental and financial protections. Putting a break on the incredibly increasing deficit spending would be a plus. Paygo was, IMO, a good call.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

They are giving Ocasio-Cortez way too much airtime IMHO. She is like a bull in a china shop. A demented bull.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      I think the next two years they should focus their efforts on casting a light on the goings on within the Executive and Congressional branches...
      Anything to take focus away from the corruption in the Democrat party and their allies in the FBi and DOJ, right?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Anything to take focus away from the corruption in the Democrat party and their allies in the FBi and DOJ, right?
        So are you suggesting that, in two years, Trump has been unable to "drain the swamp?" After all, he appoints the leaders of these organizations...
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

So are you suggesting that, in two years, Trump has been unable to "drain the swamp?" After all, he appoints the leaders of these organizations...
          I suspect Trump underestimated just how viciously the Swamp would fight back, and the corruption within the FBI and DOJ is systemic and has been going on for decades, so, first of all, it takes more than just a change of leadership to scrape out the rot, and secondly, it's hard to find anybody with the qualifications to run those agencies -- or anything else in Washington for that matter -- who doesn't have the stink of Swamp on him.

Comment

I found this article timely and I believe it is an accurate prediction of the future. Much as I am glad that we now have at least one part of our federal government in the hands of an alternate party, I think the junior representatives entering with so much bluster (and naivete, in some cases) are going to find themselves confronting the reality of the limitations of what they can accomplish.

Essentially, I think the next two years they should focus their efforts on casting a light on the goings on within the Executive and Congressional branches, and doing everything possible to put a break on the agenda of stripping our country of environmental and financial protections. Putting a break on the incredibly increasing deficit spending would be a plus. Paygo was, IMO, a good call.
            So, obstruction as the party platform. Got it.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I suspect Trump underestimated just how viciously the Swamp would fight back, and the corruption within the FBI and DOJ is systemic and has been going on for decades, so, first of all, it takes more than just a change of leadership to scrape out the rot, and secondly, it's hard to find anybody with the qualifications to run those agencies -- or anything else in Washington for that matter -- who doesn't have the stink of Swamp on him.
              Amazing how so many from the right just delight in taking swipes at the FBI and DOJ, but if someone even considers criticizing the front line police force or ICE, they are all aghast!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                So, obstruction as the party platform. Got it.
                Obstruction has been part of the Republican and Democratic "unspoken" platform for years now.

Comment

Amazing how so many from the right just delight in taking swipes at the FBI and DOJ, but if someone even considers criticizing the front line police force or ICE, they are all aghast!
                  Just the top-level leadership.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Obstruction has been part of the Republican and Democratic "unspoken" platform for years now.
                    It's sad, isn't it?
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Bob Vila's Home Improvement Tips

bob_headshot_400x400.jpg
                      "Be sure to use a broad brush when you
                      want to cover a lot of surface area."

Comment

Just the top-level leadership.
                        ...you mean the positions Trump was responsible for appointing and their direct subordinates?

Comment

It's sad, isn't it?
                          Mostly - it's pointless. But it's what we vote for. Anyone who is willing to work with the opposition to achieve a compromise is summarily attacked and voted out of office the next round. So we have exactly what "we the people" are demanding - entrenched and intransigent leadership.

Comment

Bob Vila's Home Improvement Tips

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34292[/ATTACH]
                            "Be sure to use a broad brush when you
                            want to cover a lot of surface area."
                            Note "so many" (not all) - and the statement is accurate, based on my observations here, other conservative sites I visit, and the reports on conservative media outlets.

Comment

... the statement is accurate, based on my observations confirmation bias...

Comment