Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Migrants traveling to US sue Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrants traveling to US sue Trump

Migrants traveling to US sue Trump, government; claim violation of constitutional rights

A dozen migrants traveling by foot from Honduras to the U.S. to seek asylum filed a class-action lawsuit Thursday against President Trump, the Department of Homeland Security and others, claiming a violation of their due process under the Fifth Amendment.

The Fifth Amendment states that, "no person… shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law."

A recent PBS report cited former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, who ruled in 1993 case that "it is well established that the Fifth Amendment entitles aliens to due process of law in a deportation proceeding."

Twelve Honduran nationals, including six children, are listed as plaintiffs in the lawsuit. The suit, which was filed Thursday in the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., said it is widely known that Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador are “undergoing a well-documented human rights crisis.” The lawsuit also claims that the plaintiffs’ right to the Administrative Procedures Act and the Declaratory Judgement Act were being infringed upon.

The lawsuit points to Trump's claim that he will prevent the caravan from entering the U.S. It claims that the president cannot stop asylum-seekers by employing the military -- when they have a fair claim. The suit criticized the president's alleged attempt at stoking "fear and hysteria" by claiming that criminals and gang members have joined the caravan.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mig...utional-rights

The lawsuit: https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...-Complaint.pdf

By that logic, I can break into somebody's house and then invoke my 5th Amendment right to liberty when the police come to arrest me.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Migrants traveling to US sue Trump, government; claim violation of constitutional rights
      Another reason why they need to be kept out!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I'm sure these "migrants" thunk this up all on their own.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I'm sure these "migrants" thunk this up all on their own.
          lol.

Read the lawsuit, it's hilarious.

You can't sue the USA government unless they give you permission to. And you can't sue the President either. And you can't sue for constitutional rights if you are not a citizen or not even in the country. Now, if they did apply for asylum and were illegally treated, then they might have a case, if they could prove it and the government even allowed the lawsuit.

In the United States, the federal government [including the President -sparko] has sovereign immunity and may not be sued unless it has waived its immunity or consented to suit. The United States as a sovereign is immune from suit unless it unequivocally consents to being sued.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovere..._United_States

Comment

How come so many people want to come to the US when they hate Trump?

Why are so many coming illegally to Canada, then, because they feel trampled upon by Trump?

Are the Hondurans really on their way to Canada?

Do they know it's cold here?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Canada rushes to deport asylum seekers who walked from U.S. - data

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1N52V6
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

So that is what happened to all of those Hollywood liberals who promised to move to Canada.

Comment

So that is what happened to all of those Hollywood liberals who promised to move to Canada.
                  And now they are getting deported!

Comment

Hadn't heard that. I'm sure that if Trudeau gets elected again he'll reverse it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I don't think any of them actually followed through.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        I don't think any of them actually followed through.
                        But they're GONNA!!!! You just wait!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hadn't heard that. I'm sure that if Trudeau gets elected again he'll reverse it.
                          And probably pay them a million dollars.

Comment

How come so many people want to come to the US when they hate Trump?

Why are so many coming illegally to Canada, then, because they feel trampled upon by Trump?

Are the Hondurans really on their way to Canada?

Do they know it's cold here?
                            The idea is that if Democrats import enough like-minded voters, the Democrat party will have a lock on political power until they reduce the country to ashes.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Another reason why they need to be kept out!
                              Don't speak ill of desperate folks fleeing for their lives and trying to seek asylum in another country. And never, ever, bring up the fact that they were already offered the asylum they need when they crossed the border into Mexico but studiously ignored the offer and just kept heading north.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment