Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Riots over cop killing a man begging for his life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandatory curfew just put into effect in Minniapolis, and surrounding areas.
    Last edited by JimL; 05-29-2020, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I'm no fan of CNN, but this makes absolutely no sense to me. Did the police WANT the public to see them as the villain more than they already are? I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        I'm no fan of CNN, but this makes absolutely no sense to me. Did the police WANT the public to see them as the villain more than they already are? I don't get it.

I don't either. It feels like there's more to the story.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
          Here's a question. He was charged with murder, right? My understanding was that for something to be murder, it has to be premeditated--there is little indication the cop was actually trying to kill him. Wouldn't this be manslaughter? Or is this a case of trying to frontload charges so they don't have to go below manslaughter in a plea bargain?
          Like seer explained, reckless indifference to human life could be murder as well as (for Australia anyway) intending to cause grievous bodily harm. Premeditated is known as cold blooded murder but there’s also hot blooded murder in situations a person becomes enraged on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
            Like seer explained, reckless indifference to human life could be murder as well as (for Australia anyway) intending to cause grievous bodily harm. Premeditated is known as cold blooded murder but there’s also hot blooded murder in situations a person becomes enraged on the spot.
            Yep, called third degree murder. The reason for charging him with third degree murder is because charging him with first degree murder is very difficult to prove, particularly in the case of a police officer.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Yep, called third degree murder. The reason for charging him with third degree murder is because charging him with first degree murder is very difficult to prove, particularly in the case of a police officer.
              We don’t have degrees of murder in Australia so I don’t know what is required for third degree murder.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                I don't either. It feels like there's more to the story.
                No, there isn't. They just arrested him. Tonight they were shooting reporters with rubber bullets to get them to move. Literally aiming the rifle directly at the camera.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yeah, proving he intended to kill him would be very difficult.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                    We donÂ’t have degrees of murder in Australia so I donÂ’t know what is required for third degree murder.
                    We have first, second and third degree murder. Third of course is the lesser charge. First degree would be premeditaded, second degree would be not premeditated, but the intent was there, and third degree basically means that it wasn't premeditated, and that you didn't necessarily intend to kill the person. Third degree still carries a stiff sentence though, I believe it's about 20-25 years.

Comment

Fox News suggesting that Floyd wasn't killed by the cop.

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1266598144168603648 (video)

“This a day in which the officer who was in that video with this knee on the neck of George Floyd shortly before he died — and maybe at the time of this death. He has been arrested for murder and manslaughter.”

Next time one of you wants to know why I can't take FLC at face value in their reporting just remember that tweet.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                        Fox News suggesting that Floyd wasn't killed by the cop.

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1266598144168603648 (video)

“This a day in which the officer who was in that video with this knee on the neck of George Floyd shortly before he died — and maybe at the time of this death. He has been arrested for murder and manslaughter.”

Next time one of you wants to know why I can't take FLC at face value in their reporting just remember that tweet.
                        "Maybe" because...

The full report by the county medical examiner has not been released, but the complaint states that the post-mortem examination did not find evidence of "traumatic asphyxia or strangulation".

The medical examiner noted Mr Floyd had underlying heart conditions and the combination of these, "potential intoxicants in his system" and being restrained by the officers "likely contributed to his death".
                        Next time one of you wants to know why I can't take social media at face value in their reporting of the facts just remember this report.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          "Maybe" because...

Next time one of you wants to know why I can't take social media at face value in their reporting of the facts just remember this report.
                          I'm aware of that reporting.

First of all, Fox's reporting is inaccurate. From the cop's charging document
                          '

6 minutes after Derek Chauvin put his knee in George Floyd’s neck, prosecutors say another cop checked Floyd’s pulse & said “I couldn’t find one.”
                          For another 2 minutes Chauvin allegedly kept his knee in Floyd‘s neck, while he was non responsive.

So Floyd's heart stopped beating while the cop's knee was in his neck.

Secondly, the way this issue is being framed in the Fox reporting is absolutely designed to support a right wing narrative (that the protesters are wrong about the need to protest ongoing police murders of PoC). And when a definitive finding that but for the cop's actions Floyd would still be alive it will be far too late for all of the people who were misled by FLC's dishonest framing of the issue.

Comment

We have first, second and third degree murder. Third of course is the lesser charge. First degree would be premeditaded, second degree would be not premeditated, but the intent was there, and third degree basically means that it wasn't premeditated, and that you didn't necessarily intend to kill the person. Third degree still carries a stiff sentence though, I believe it's about 20-25 years.
                            Ok cool. All of them is just murder here although the judge takes those factors into account when sentencing.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                              Here's a question. He was charged with murder, right? My understanding was that for something to be murder, it has to be premeditated--there is little indication the cop was actually trying to kill him. Wouldn't this be manslaughter? Or is this a case of trying to frontload charges so they don't have to go below manslaughter in a plea bargain?
                              It's 3rd degree murder which is AFAICT like manslaughter

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                                I'm aware of that reporting.

First of all, Fox's reporting is inaccurate. From the cop's charging document
                                '

6 minutes after Derek Chauvin put his knee in George Floyd’s neck, prosecutors say another cop checked Floyd’s pulse & said “I couldn’t find one.”
                                For another 2 minutes Chauvin allegedly kept his knee in Floyd‘s neck, while he was non responsive.

So Floyd's heart stopped beating while the cop's knee was in his neck.

Secondly, the way this issue is being framed in the Fox reporting is absolutely designed to support a right wing narrative (that the protesters are wrong about the need to protest ongoing police murders of PoC). And when a definitive finding that but for the cop's actions Floyd would still be alive it will be far too late for all of the people who were misled by FLC's dishonest framing of the issue.
                                The examiner's preliminary report says he was "likely" killed by a combination of factors including the officer's actions. The Fox News reporter in the clip the twitterati linked to said he was "maybe" killed that way. I don't know about you but "likely" and "maybe" are close enough considering it's still early in the investigation. So don't get mad at the Fox News reporter for accurately reporting the facts because you got emotionally manipulated by social media.

Comment