Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I think we all need a break from politics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we all need a break from politics.

I dont think a lot of the discussion is healthy or productive right now. Honestly, I have enough anxiety as it is. To tell the truth I really dont like this election cycle. It seems to be making folks miserable.

I want to posit a little experiment. Let us not talk about trump or foreign policy for maybe a week and let's see if we feel any better.
    sigpic

I'm gonna do some comfort food tonight, as Sundays should be celebrated properly. In this case with some oven cooked french fries, steak and bearnaise sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
      I dont think a lot of the discussion is healthy or productive right now. Honestly, I have enough anxiety as it is. To tell the truth I really dont like this election cycle. It seems to be making folks miserable.

I want to posit a little experiment. Let us not talk about trump or foreign policy for maybe a week and let's see if we feel any better.

In Civics?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        In Civics?
        there are lots of other subjects in Civics we could talk about like the stupidity of Berkeley and it's laws, the stupidity of folks who think that everyone in a certain group should walk lock step in to political views etc... we don't have to talk about Trump or foreign policy. Heck we haven't had a good arguem.. er debate, er discussion about Abortion in a while

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          I'm gonna do some comfort food tonight, as Sundays should be celebrated properly. In this case with some oven cooked french fries, steak and bearnaise sauce.
          I'm having waffles, maple syrup, butter, strawberries and whipped cream.

Comment

Anyone see any videos of how they projected the image of a Saturn V rocket taking off and going up and into space onto the side of the Washington Monument in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the first Moon landing?

This is a short version:

Talk about your Big Screen TV, given that the Washington Monument is some 550' (169 meters) tall

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Unfortunately, most of what is discussed around here isn't politics but partisan bickering. As I've said before, I'd love it if liberals could come up with a substantive criticism of Trump, something that we could really sink our teeth into and have a healthy debate. Instead all we get is "Trump is Hitler, and he eats babies!" nonsense that is about as far from actual politics as you can get.

So we don't need a break from politics, we need a break from "Orange man bad! " diatribes.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Anyone see any videos of how they projected the image of a Saturn V rocket taking off and going up and into space onto the side of the Washington Monument in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the first Moon landing?

This is a short version:

Talk about your Big Screen TV, given that the Washington Monument is some 550' (169 meters) tall
                Awesome!

I remember watching it on a 12" B&W!
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  I've gotten to where I like to grill a good steak or two before MRS CP comes home -- like grill the steaks at 2 PM, she comes home at 5 PM, and wrap them in foil in the oven at about 200 degrees --- not only are they great tasting from being grilled, but they get really nice and tender in the oven. We had bought one of those air fryers, and they make GREAT crispy fries or tater tots.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                    I'm having waffles, maple syrup, butter, strawberries and whipped cream.
                    REAL butter!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                      I dont think a lot of the discussion is healthy or productive right now. Honestly, I have enough anxiety as it is.
                      Then demi suggest you take big big break from Civics, cos Trump will quit never, also whiners stop whining about orange man only when pigs do loops in air, also smacking down of whiners only stop when whines stop (not before 2024!!).
                      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        REAL butter!
                        Is there any other kind?
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          REAL butter!
                          Yes, REAL butter and the waffles swim in REAL maple syrup and sometimes I put REAL vanilla ice cream on them.
                          Last edited by Christian3; 07-21-2019, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Bacon.

Real bacon.

Not that cursed cold turkey stuff.

Comment

If you don't feel like Civics is good for you, then maybe take a break from it yourself, but I don't see any reason why we shouldn't refrain from discussing important topics.

edit: should, not shouldn't
                              Last edited by KingsGambit; 07-21-2019, 05:45 PM.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment