Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Go away!
    Is that a formal request?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      The problem is the obvious. Adolescence and mass shootings is a much more recent event than adolescence and marijuana use. IMO, this just takes the focus away from the more obvious culprit that is also a recent event: adolescence and SSRIs.
      But what about the claim that current marijuana is 5x stronger than the stuff in the '70s?
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        But what about the claim that current marijuana is 5x stronger than the stuff in the '70s?
        Which effectively means that you'll need a lot less to get high or stoned. Smoke the same amount as the lower potency stuff and you'll likely be taking a nap.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          I don't know of such a claim. I'd have to ask for sources. However, assuming that to be true, then you'd have to prove the shooters even smoked weed, and then prove they all smoked the necessary amount that would make them snap like that. If we're going to blame a substance, I feel it's a huge rabbit trail that takes away from the obvious culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Is that a formal request?
            you gotsa be kidding --- not to my faborite brudder!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
              What good does blaming gaming do for that? What good can possibly come from people thinking the other is a moron or worse? I dont get it.
              No one is claiming that gaming "causes" shootings, you know. The claim is that shooter games, especially realistic ones, desensitize players to violence. Other threads have noted that the military has observed it is much easier now than in previous generations to get soldiers to actually shoot humans. I have heard -- but have no way of knowing for sure -- that the military actually uses realistic "shooter" games as part of training.

This is certainly a multi-factorial problem. No potential contributing factor should get ALL the attention, but likewise none should be left unexamined.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The whole discussion is pretty dumb anyway Even if it is weed and ban it, that doesn't mean kids will stop smoking it anymore than gun control will keep guns out of the hands of the wrong people. However, if SSRIs are a factor, that can be controlled.

Comment

I don't know of such a claim. I'd have to ask for sources. However, assuming that to be true, then you'd have to prove the shooters even smoked weed, and then prove they all smoked the necessary amount that would make them snap like that. If we're going to blame a substance, I feel it's a huge rabbit trail that takes away from the obvious culprit.
                  It's a pretty well known fact. I've seen articles and such about it, pretty sure I've seen it in formal training classes at work. If I remember right, marijuana in the 70s (a lot of it at least) had THC content of around 5-7%, and a lot of strains nowadays are running around 20-25% THC levels.
                  "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Here you go. https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegw.../#54c2f8b759e5
                    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

grey_fox_by_hcf_df72r2-pre.jpg

I believe that video games can indeed be art. As a fan of series like Fire Emblem Resident Evil Final Fantasy and more I believe that stories can be used to help teach people things.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                        It's a pretty well known fact. I've seen articles and such about it, pretty sure I've seen it in formal training classes at work. If I remember right, marijuana in the 70s (a lot of it at least) had THC content of around 5-7%, and a lot of strains nowadays are running around 20-25% THC levels.
                        High THC content pot was around even back in the 20th century what with such strains as "Maui Wowee," "Kona Gold," "Thai Sticks" and "Skunk Weed" (the latter seems to be the "grandfather" of many of the current powerful strains). The difference now is that they're much more prevalent than back then.

Among my friends who still smoke, I've noticed that they smoke a lot less to get the desired results -- taking a half dozen "hits" (or even less) as opposed to smoking a joint or two. If nothing else this has to be better for their lungs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          you gotsa be kidding --- not to my faborite brudder!
                          Aw shucks

So what is it that you want this time?

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                            True. I've haven't really read up on that because of how new it is. I understand that there are health concerns with vaping, though it's probably safer than actually smoking. It's really a whole different thing, though if they're using nicotine they have that in common.
                            It can be - the amount of nicotine can be controlled - it's also frequently used to wean off of tobacco. I have no idea how frequently it succeeds or people just switch.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Aw shucks
                              You didn't honestly think I was kicking you out, did you?
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The whole discussion is pretty dumb anyway Even if it is weed and ban it, that doesn't mean kids will stop smoking it anymore than gun control will keep guns out of the hands of the wrong people. However, if SSRIs are a factor, that can be controlled.
                                Well, that's how we totally got rid of all the other problems! We simply made the drugs illegal, and they're all gone now!

Comment