Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

College scandal - Loughlin could face up to 40 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College scandal - Loughlin could face up to 40 years

Lori Loughlin could now face up to 40 years in jail after new charges, report says

Actress Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, two of the 16 parents indicted on fraud and money laundering charges in the college admissions cheating scandal, could face up to 40 years in prison—a maximum of 20 years for each of the charges, a report said.

The "Fuller House" star and her husband, along with 14 other parents, are being charged with a "second superseding indictment with conspiring to commit fraud and money laundering," the Department of Justice revealed in a statement to Fox News on Tuesday.

Last month, Loughlin and Giannulli were charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud. They allegedly paid $500,000 to get their daughters into the University of Southern California as crew recruits, even though the young women did not play the sport.

"The second superseding indictment also charges the defendants with conspiring to launder the bribes and other payments in furtherance of the fraud by funneling them through Singer’s purported charity and his for-profit corporation, as well as by transferring money into the United States, from outside the United States, for the purpose of promoting the fraud scheme," the statement added.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...nt-experts-say

I think she and the others did wrong but 40 years? That is ridiculous. Even trying something like that would result in her skating free. No jury would give anyone 40 years for bribing someone to put her kids into a college. I think maybe 2-5 years max would be appropriate and a really hefty fine, like 5 million that would go to pay for some deserving kids to go to college.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Lori Loughlin could now face up to 40 years in jail after new charges, report says
    oops...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And Jussie goes scot free.........

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Yep. I would rather see these guys go free than him.

Comment

Actress Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, two of the 16 parents indicted on fraud and money laundering charges in the college admissions cheating scandal, could face up to 40 years in prison—a maximum of 20 years for each of the charges, a report said.

The "Fuller House" star and her husband, along with 14 other parents, are being charged with a "second superseding indictment with conspiring to commit fraud and money laundering," the Department of Justice revealed in a statement to Fox News on Tuesday.

Last month, Loughlin and Giannulli were charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud. They allegedly paid $500,000 to get their daughters into the University of Southern California as crew recruits, even though the young women did not play the sport.

"The second superseding indictment also charges the defendants with conspiring to launder the bribes and other payments in furtherance of the fraud by funneling them through Singer’s purported charity and his for-profit corporation, as well as by transferring money into the United States, from outside the United States, for the purpose of promoting the fraud scheme," the statement added.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...nt-experts-say

I think she and the others did wrong but 40 years? That is ridiculous. Even trying something like that would result in her skating free. No jury would give anyone 40 years for bribing someone to put her kids into a college. I think maybe 2-5 years max would be appropriate and a really hefty fine, like 5 million that would go to pay for some deserving kids to go to college.
          That is nuts. You barely get that for killing someone. The fine is the way to go on this sort of thing. Expulsion from college for the kid, firing of and hefty fines for all officials involved in the bribe, with total fines to all involved of at least twice the actual bribe to go to a scholarship for kids who otherwise can't afford the school.

Jim
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-11-2019, 12:01 PM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Indeed. The harm to the country and actual victims of hate crime was much more significant in what he did.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              Indeed. The harm to the country and actual victims of hate crime was much more significant in what he did.

Jim
              Well the feds still have yet to go after him for his mail fraud and terroristic threatening by sending the letter with the powder in it to himself.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                That is nuts. You barely get that for killing someone. The fine is the way to go on this sort of thing. Expulsion from college for the kid, firing of and hefty fines for all officials involved in the bribe, with total fines to all involved of at least twice the actual bribe to go to a scholarship for kids who otherwise can't afford the school.

Jim
                Agreed. I think they should all get a little jail time because merely a fine for someone that rich won't hurt at all. But not 40 years. Maybe 2. And they should all have to put a significant amount into a scholarship fund. I think the guys running the scam should get significant time though. Maybe 10 years.

I don't think they should even kick out their kids permanently. But they should have to re-qualify on their own merits. Take the SAT again, etc.

Comment

Yep. I would rather see these guys go free than him.
                  racist!
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

That seems excessive.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And Hillary.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

college is so expensive these days.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          college is so expensive these days.
                          Especially when you bribe your way in...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            Especially when you bribe your way in...
                            I would have thought that a $500k donation directly to USC would have sufficed to meet all admission requirements. There should be no legal issues in the direct approach.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                              I would have thought that a $500k donation directly to USC would have sufficed to meet all admission requirements. There should be no legal issues in the direct approach.
                              Maybe to a private college, but any public college has federal regulations on how students are admitted. Bribing is frowned upon.

Comment