Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump implicates Scarborough in murder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Because if platforms could be sued for what someone else posts on their site, they would all have to shut down.

You can sue someone if they libel you on an online platform, no problem. You just can't sue the platform itself. For example, if your best friend starts spreading lies about you on facefook or twitter, you can sue your best friend for defamation, but you can't sue facebook or twitter. They can't be expected to monitor every post made by every person and be responsible for the content. How would they even know if your best friend was telling the truth or spreading lies?
    So, since Trump can't be sued while in office, then he should be exempt from that rule anyway. Why should the President be treated differently than everyone else? Why should he be able to slander with impunity, while others can be sued for the same?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      So, since Trump can't be sued while in office, then he should be exempt from that rule anyway. Why should the President be treated differently than everyone else? Why should he be able to slander with impunity, while others can be sued for the same?
      Yes, Trump is exempt from being sued, but if twitter decides to editorialize his posts, THEY could be sued for what Trump says! And what anyone else says. At least that is what the executive order says. Once they begin shaping the posts of others with fact-checks and corrections, then they become publishers and they become liable for all content on their site. All of it.

Comment

I think that's a misconception. He can be sued, as Bill Clinton was sued by Paul Jones, and the Supreme Court ruled [Clinton v. Jones, 520 U.S. 681(1997)*] that the suit could move forward. In the majority opinion by Justice John Paul Stevens, the Court ruled that separation of powers does not mandate that federal courts delay all private civil lawsuits against the President until the end of his term of office. The Eighth Circuit court had said that "the President, like all other government officials, is subject to the same laws that apply to all other members of our society".

*Clinton had sued that this NOT be allowed, but did not prevail.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, Trump is exempt from being sued....
          I think the confusion here may be over "sued for civil action" vs "charged with a crime, or indictment". The former is allowed, the latter is denied, except in very special circumstances, because the remedy would be impeachment, not criminal charges.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
            It is a great country, and I didn't mean any mockery - just expressing my frustrations with so much ignorance of people going on websites, and spreading their ignorance as if that ignorance is some kind of virtue. Yes that law, passed in 1996 by both parties, is a disgrace as both parties bear responsibility. And Trump is complicit as he never had any intentions to abolish it as he is a great beneficiary of that law. His latest bout to punish Twitter is only smoke and mirror as: 1) it's a law passed by Congress and only Congress can abolish or amend it; 2) it's a scare tactics hoping that Twitter will blink first and leave his tweets untouched... will see in the near future how this will pan out...
            given they flagged his loot/shoot tweet, doesn't look like they will blink first.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I think that's a misconception. He can be sued, as Bill Clinton was sued by Paul Jones, and the Supreme Court ruled [Clinton v. Jones, 520 U.S. 681(1997)*] that the suit could move forward. In the majority opinion by Justice John Paul Stevens, the Court ruled that separation of powers does not mandate that federal courts delay all private civil lawsuits against the President until the end of his term of office. The Eighth Circuit court had said that "the President, like all other government officials, is subject to the same laws that apply to all other members of our society".

*Clinton had sued that this NOT be allowed, but did not prevail.
              I don't think so, I'm pretty sure the president would be immune from being sued under the "The federal employee's Liability act".

Comment

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure the president would be immune from being sued under the "The federal employee's Liability act".
                Citation, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Citation, please.

http://www.justice.gov/jm/civil-reso...ed-individuals

Comment

• Thanks, but that's about torts. I'll check it out when I have time.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      given they flagged his loot/shoot tweet, doesn't look like they will blink first.
                      I just want to say that was an idiotic and inflammatory thing for him to tweet. I actually think they do have a leg to stand on with that particular moderation, since it violates their terms of service. I do have a problem with them editorializing by "fact-checking" Government officials, especially when they are doing it to Trump but not others.

Comment

I just want to say that was an idiotic and inflammatory thing for him to tweet. I actually think they do have a leg to stand on with that particular moderation, since it violates their terms of service. I do have a problem with them editorializing by "fact-checking" Government officials, especially when they are doing it to Trump but not others.
                        I agree it should be evenly applied, but Trump is the worst abuser - squeeky wheel gets fixed would be why he's first..
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I do have a problem with them editorializing by "fact-checking" Government officials, especially when they are doing it to Trump but not others.
                          Especially when the "fact check" is links to opinion pieces from untrustworthy sources like CNN.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Especially when the "fact check" is links to opinion pieces from untrustworthy sources like CNN.
                            And how is it that you trust Breitbart? Do you fact check them? Who do you go to in oder to fact check, Sean hannity? Apparently the only journalism you trust is whoever it is that tells you what you want to hear.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                              And how is it that you trust Breitbart?
                              I trust them because their stories withstand scrutiny. As much as you guys whoop and holler about Breitbart, none of you have ever shown a story I've cited to actually be wrong. The complaint is never "The facts are wrong" but "I don't like how the facts are presented".
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                I trust them because their stories withstand scrutiny. As much as you guys whoop and holler about Breitbart, none of you have ever shown a story I've cited to actually be wrong. The complaint is never "The facts are wrong" but "I don't like how the facts are presented".
                                So, you trust them because you fact check them?

Comment