Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    It can be - the amount of nicotine can be controlled - it's also frequently used to wean off of tobacco. I have no idea how frequently it succeeds or people just switch.
    Last I heard, the evidence is that it helps adults quit cigarettes, but leads teens to *start* smoking. But it's pretty preliminary.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      Last I heard, the evidence is that it helps adults quit cigarettes, but leads teens to *start* smoking. But it's pretty preliminary.
      'Bout what I expected.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
        That's my concern as well. I've never even tried marijuana, but I've always thought it stupid the federal government made it illegal without any scientific basis for doing so. I've seen some interesting studies about using cannabis as an alternative to opioids for pain management (among many other medical uses).

And...well, I've never met a person high on marijuana that was causing a problem. Cocaine, meth, alcohol and opioids now...that's a different story. As a cop, I've dealt with a lot of high/drunk people. And my community in particular is one of the worst in the state suffering from the opioid crisis. Lots of people are dying and I've personally had to look many people in the eye and explain how their son/daughter/dad/mom/brother/sister have died from an opioid overdose. I'll support dang near anything that can help manage this crisis.
        I have smoked it, and it doesn't make you want to go out and shoot up a school. In fact, you mostly just want to sit around watching TV and eating snacks. It makes you all relaxed and sleepy mostly. And a bit dizzy, so you wouldn't have the coordination to pull off a shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I have smoked it, and it doesn't make you want to go out and shoot up a school. In fact, you mostly just want to sit around watching TV and eating snacks. It makes you all relaxed and sleepy mostly. And a bit dizzy, so you wouldn't have the coordination to pull off a shooting.
          Yup. Potheads are easy to deal with. Meth-heads and crackheads, not so much.
          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

When it was first outlawed it was due to sensationalist stories claiming that it caused people to go out on killing sprees. Well that and a whole lot of racism (it was associated with Mexican migrant workers and blacks). The fact is that, as you said, it tends to make you sit around and just watch TV or the like. I believe they called it amotivational syndrome

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
              Yup. Potheads are easy to deal with. Meth-heads and crackheads, not so much.
              Back in the early 70s when Nixon established the Shafer Commission (a.k.a., National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse) a number of police officials admitted that they focused their efforts on making pot busts because it was far safer than going after people dealing in drugs like heroin and speed.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Back in the early 70s when Nixon established the Shafer Commission (a.k.a., National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse) a number of police officials admitted that they focused their efforts on making pot busts because it was far safer than going after people dealing in drugs like heroin and speed.
                From what I understand, heroin also makes you just sit around and sleep. Never tried heroin, but I have had opioids in the hospital. Morphine for a kidney stone and dilaudid after major surgery. You just feel like you are all relaxed and floating. Then you fall asleep.

Comment

From what I understand, heroin also makes you just sit around and sleep. Never tried heroin, but I have had opioids in the hospital. Morphine for a kidney stone and dilaudid after major surgery. You just feel like you are all relaxed and floating. Then you fall asleep.
                  In this case it was the dealers that they were talking about although many of them are junkies as well. Plus when you are a junkie you can do terrible things in order to get your fix.

Comment

In this case it was the dealers that they were talking about although many of them are junkies as well. Plus when you are a junkie you can do terrible things in order to get your fix.
                    That's true. A lot of burglars are trying to steal stuff to pawn to get a fix.

Comment

Handling them, sure you want the stoners or others too far gone to give you any trouble. But the idea that marijuana is okay because the users are easier to handle really doesn't get at why we have laws regarding intoxicants in the first place. Partially to maintain public order, that's true - but it's also to minimize the social disruption of addiction. Perfect, it's not - no law ever will be. But we're already seeing problems directly related to marijuana usage in states that have legalized it. And it's probably not unrelated (though not causally related) to the opioid crisis. Yeah, gateway drugs really are a thing.

And seriously, would you want a doctor who used marijuana frequently? Forget the typical stoner - even frequent use can have an effect. Want a brain surgeon that gets stoned every weekend?
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

This article seems to dispute the common belief that marijuana is only relaxing, not aggression-fostering.

More generally, it's my recollection that various substances can have paradoxical effects depending on dosage and on individual response. E.g., most people find opioids sedating, but in some people they induce near-manic highs.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

This article seems to dispute the common belief that marijuana is only relaxing, not aggression-fostering.

More generally, it's my recollection that various substances can have paradoxical effects depending on dosage and on individual response. E.g., most people find opioids sedating, but in some people they induce near-manic highs.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

That kind of flies in the face of hundreds of studies going back at least as far the British Indian Hemp Drugs Commission Report from the 1890s.

Still, it is true that not everyone reacts to any substance the same way.

Comment

That kind of flies in the face of hundreds of studies going back at least as far the British Indian Hemp Drugs Commission Report from the 1890s.

Still, it is true that not everyone reacts to any substance the same way.
                              Which aspect of his post are you referring to with that study?
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                And seriously, would you want a doctor who used marijuana frequently? Forget the typical stoner - even frequent use can have an effect. Want a brain surgeon that gets stoned every weekend?
                                If they can do their job and meet acceptable standards,

There are very few brain surgeons out there. It seems like an oddly specific thing to extrapolate broad policy from.
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment