Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Sane Discussion About Gun Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    What "funding" would cause people to do the jobs they are already tasked with doing? How is it a 'lack of funding' that "Experts who study the data say government agencies responsible for maintaining such records have long failed to forward them into federal databases used for gun background checks". Even in that article, it cites "systemic breakdowns that have lingered for decades as officials decided they were too costly and time-consuming to fix".
    I cannot say I have dug into this with great vigor, but most of the government (never mind the FAA) is running on obsolete systems running obsolete software. Links need to be built into state databases, or a single national system needs to be built. Then the ods and procedures are needed to ensure data is appropriately gathered an input.

Come on, CP, this is not the first government initiative that has been mandated without proper funding. When a new administration comes in, the departments they don't like get slashed to the bone.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      I cannot say I have dug into this with great vigor, but most of the government (never mind the FAA) is running on obsolete systems running obsolete software.
      So, no data on that, eh?

Links need to be built into state databases, or a single national system needs to be built. Then the ods and procedures are needed to ensure data is appropriately gathered an input.
      I understand how all that works.

Come on, CP, this is not the first government initiative that has been mandated without proper funding. When a new administration comes in, the departments they don't like get slashed to the bone.
      So, again, no data - just conclusion jumping like you're accusing others.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        So, no data on that, eh?

I understand how all that works.

So, again, no data - just conclusion jumping like you're accusing others.
        You're right that I have not cited statistics in my posts. The statistics are that the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (known as NICS) was created by the Brady Act in 1993, but was never given the resources that were needed to clean up the patchwork of systems that existed before then. So it was a mostly unfunded mandate. After the Virginia Tech Shooting (2007), to address this shortcoming, the NICS Improvement Amendment Act was passed and $1.3B slated to do the clean-up work. The latest numbers I have say that 11.5 percent of that money has ever allocated.

The allegation has been made in several sources that the lack of grants under the act has been largely due to NRA opposition, because as long as it isnot allocated, they can continue to cite how bad the background check system is. However, I do not have access to any formal documents that would substantiate that accusation, so that part remains a story.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Then everyone can draw whatever conclusions they wish...
          I came back to give you the last word again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I came back to give you the last word again.
            OK!

*you're doing a carpe...

Comment

OK!

*you're doing a carp out
              fify/nc

Comment

[...] I did not ask you for your input, nor was I addressing you. Please do not comment on my posts to other people. Thank you.
                It was input of great value. You should be thankful. And someday perhaps you will be.
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  fify/nc

Comment

• guns.jpg
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Fixed it for you, no charge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        Fixed it for you, no charge.

I'll have to remember that...

Comment

I'll have to remember that...
                          I am just glad you had the last word.

Comment

• OK this goes to what we have been saying: Gun control doesn't work, if you could keep guns out of everyone's hands, then they will use knives. Which apparently is what happened in the UK. The stabbings were getting so bad that the police actually had a Knife hand-in campaign started in 2010! And people protesting for Knife control.

You can't just legislate crime away by attacking weapons. It won't work and all you are doing is causing problems for people who are not criminals. I guess pretty soon you can only use plastic utensils in the UK. At least until someone pokes someone's eye out with a spork.

https://www.suffolk.police.uk/advice...fety/bin-blade

bin_a_blade_final_logo.jpg

https://www.suffolk.police.uk/news/l...-blade-amnesty

Comment

OK this goes to what we have been saying: Gun control doesn't work, if you could keep guns out of everyone's hands, then they will use knives. Which apparently is what happened in the UK. The stabbings were getting so bad that the police actually had a Knife hand-in campaign started in 2010! And people protesting for Knife control.

You can't just legislate crime away by attacking weapons. It won't work and all you are doing is causing problems for people who are not criminals. I guess pretty soon you can only use plastic utensils in the UK. At least until someone pokes someone's eye out with a spork.

https://www.suffolk.police.uk/advice...fety/bin-blade

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26900[/ATTACH]

https://www.suffolk.police.uk/news/l...-blade-amnesty
                              Sparko, that's a straw man. Nobody in favor of gun control thinks it will "legislate crime away". People in favor of gun control think it will reduce the number of victims, not stop attacks entirely.

Comment

I am just glad you had the last word.
                                Always happy to oblige...

Comment