Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Of course Buttigieg simply stands there or just mumbles his way through the Creedal Statement of Faith because......
    Because thats what a substantial amount of church-goers in denominations where the creeds are read aloud in the liturgy end up doing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      Because thats what a substantial amount of church-goers in denominations where the creeds are read aloud in the liturgy end up doing?
      The Creeds are recited by the entire congregation, I know from many years experience. They are the declaration of faith as opposed to the personal testimonies believers about of how they "met Jesus", which is a characteristic of Evangelicalism .
      Last edited by Tassman; 06-17-2019, 12:51 AM.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

So, Buttigieg is on a par with a fictional mafia boss in your mind? Gotcha.
        No, Tass, my comment was specifically (and clearly!) in regard to the bit that I quoted:

"Oh please. I know people who are not Christian or are openly agnostic and yet who still go to church for a wide variety of reasons. They may go for their spouse's sake, for the fellowship, to make business/political connections etc."
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Beck has no idea if Buttigeg recites the creeds, is respectably silent during that time or is checking his emails and text messages.
          Beck’s i/v is just one of many all of which make the same point, Buttigieg is a sincere Episcopalian and regularly attends his local cathedral/church where, as is customary throughout the Anglican tradition worldwide, he would recite the Creeds as his declaration of faith. This is what Anglicans do (apart from the minority Low Church wing), as opposed to the Evangelical tradition of proclaiming via personal testimony how one came to find Jesus as personal Lord and Savior.

You yourself posted one such link:

“Asked if he thinks he would struggle with evangelical voters in states such as Iowa, he cites deep Episcopal faith in a way that values voters could understand. (He attends Episcopal Cathedral of St. James in South Bend.) “There is just a way to bring it back to the values that are actually discussed the most in scripture,” Buttigieg told me back in October at Fiddler’s. “I mean, think about foot-washing. Feet are gross, and one of the enduring images of Christianity is when the divine comes to Earth, he occupies himself with service in the most humbling way, of those who are most humble. And right now, in our leadership, we have the opposite. We have this idea that those in political service need to make sure that their powerful allies succeed, and it’s just not … it’s not the Christianity that I get in church or in scripture.”

https://www.indianapolismonthly.com/...tigieg-feature

A statement from Buttigeg affirming that he is would be sufficient. But he has been noticeably silent on the matter
          No he hasn't. See above.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

"Oh please. I know people who are not Christian or are openly agnostic and yet who still go to church for a wide variety of reasons. They may go for their spouse's sake, for the fellowship, to make business/political connections etc."
            True. But you assume for no good reason that Buttigieg has such motives, which is pure speculation on your part. He claims to be Christian, there is no reason to disbelieve his claim

Comment

Beck’s i/v is just one of many all of which make the same point, Buttigieg is a sincere Episcopalian and regularly attends his local cathedral/church where, as is customary throughout the Anglican tradition worldwide, he would recite the Creeds as his declaration of faith.
              Since you've added nothing new or in support of this contention I'll merely repeat myself as well.
              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              How does Beck know what Buttigeg does when the latter has been as quite as a church mouse about it? Beck doesn't even live in the same same state[1] much less go to the same church (and wouldn't even if they lived in the same neighborhood since they belong to different denominations.

Beck has no idea if Buttigeg recites the creeds, is respectably silent during that time or is checking his emails and text messages.

A statement from Buttigeg affirming that he is would be sufficient. But he has been noticeably silent on the matter which is odd for a practicing/committed/devout Christian[2]. Instead we get a few scattered incredibly nebulous statements that as I previously noted could also have been said by a semi-agnostic theist.

1. South Bend, Indiana is over 700 miles from NYC where Beck resides.

2. As a Christian Buttigeg ought to be quite aware of I Peter 3:5:

Scripture Verse:

but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect

© Copyright Original Source

Buttigeg seems awfully reluctant to offer such a defense and such reticence is quite frankly inexplicable if he is, as you proclaim, a practicing/committed/devout Christian

Why is it that you have to rely on the opinion of someone who is not a close associate, lives over 700 miles away from Buttigeg, and is of a different denomination as Buttigeg for what Buttigeg does in church? Doesn't it even seem just the least bit strange that in spite of all your searching that you can't find anything about this from Buttigeg himself?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Since you've added nothing new or in support of this contention I'll merely repeat myself as well.
                There is no need to add anything, the point's been made. The contention that Buttigieg is an active member of the Episcopalian Church is supported by numerous links of interviews with him that say so, many of which I have posted. I really don’t know why you are focusing just on Beck when there are so many others OR your constant recitation of a pseudonymous epistle (1 Peter). John's Gospel 13:34-35 would be more appropriate: 34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” A quality conspicuously lacking around here.

Comment

I think it's been a few decades since Tassy flunked Sunday School.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There is no need to add anything, the point's been made.
                    Tassy, just because you think you've made a point, and repeat it over and over and over and over and over, doesn't make it true.

The contention that Buttigieg is an active member of the Episcopalian Church
                    Not true. It's POSSIBLE he's a "member", but we don't even know that. And adding the word "active" adds a whole 'nuther dimension. Unproven. You don't know that he's active in the Episcopal Church, and none of your sources are claiming that.

You're failing miserably, Tassman, to provide any proof whatsoever that Buttigieg is a "practicing Christian". You seem to backed way off to merely asserting - without proof - that he's an "active member" of a Church where he regularly recites a creed. Not proven.

In fact, he talks about the fact that his parents never really attended Church
                    He was "drawn to", but doesn't claim that he joined, the Episcopal Church
                    His own brother-in-law indicates this "faith" thing is all just a scam
                    He only claims to "more-or-less" be "Anglican".

That's some powerful testimony.

Look, Tass -- the Christian army is all volunteer. You can't just draft somebody and claim they're a soldier. There is no evidence that Buttigieg ever enlisted, graduated basic, or reports for muster, let alone took the oath of service.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

True. But you assume
                      Oh, the Iron E!!!!!

for no good reason that Buttigieg has such motives, which is pure speculation on your part.
                      Says the anti-Christian bigot who is constantly posting speculation, absent fact.

He claims to be Christian, there is no reason to disbelieve his claim
                      YOU claim he claims to be a Christian - not proven. And there's PLENTY of reason to disbelieve anything you claim. PLENTY! You, sir, are a serial and habitual assumer!

Comment

• And now, Buttigieg is claiming we've probably had gay presidents and just didn't know it...

"Axios on HBO:" "Republicans claimed that John Kerry was a traitor in Vietnam. That Barack Obama was a Muslim. If you were to win the nomination, they'll say you're too young, too liberal, too gay to be commander-in-chief. You are young. You are a liberal. You are gay. How will you respond?"

Pete Buttigieg: "I'll respond by explaining where I want to lead this country. People will elect the person who will make the best president. And we have had excellent presidents who have been young. We have had excellent presidents who have been liberal. I would imagine we've probably had excellent presidents who were gay — we just didn't know which ones."

"Axios on HBO:" "You believe that we've had a gay commander-in-chief?"

Pete Buttigieg: "I mean, statistically, it's almost certain."

"Axios on HBO:" "In your reading of history, do you believe you know who they were?"

Pete Buttigieg: "My gaydar even doesn't work that well in the present, let alone retroactively. But one can only assume that's the case."

"Statistically, it's almost certain", but his "gaydar"....

Comment

True. But you assume for no good reason that Buttigieg has such motives, which is pure speculation on your part. He claims to be Christian, there is no reason to disbelieve his claim
                          What are you talking about, you frothing lunatic?

I have participated very little in this conversation. One of the main things I did say was along the lines that I think it is marginally possible that Bootyjudge really is a Christian, in the sense of a "saved person," but that his practice is so severely defective that unless he repents, it will ultimately doom him.

I don't recall making any comments about his "motives," certainly not in the post you replied to. My post was completely limited to that quote from rogue, which evoked in my mind that scene from GF2, probably because I'd earlier watched a few minutes of GF2 on TV and it was fresh in my mind.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Oh please. I know people who are not Christian or are openly agnostic and yet who still go to church for a wide variety of reasons. They may go for their spouse's sake, for the fellowship, to make business/political connections etc.
                            One of the men in my Church is an atheist, married to a wonderful Christian lady who is very involved in our Church.

When we, as a Church, reached out to help the 'dying man' build his house, Tom was right there with us. He attends Church with his wife even though he doesn't believe in God, because he loves her. He helped us build Jim's house because "the guy seemed like a decent guy and needed help". (there's new stuff regarding Jim!)

He sings the songs we sing, because "I like to sing, and those songs are singable", but he doesn't believe their message.

It's not at all unusual for people - mainly men, in my experience - to attend Church with their wives, and even be involved to some extent - but not even be believers.

Oh, and when I was in Tyler, at a much larger Church, we could expect, prior to every election cycle, for certain persons to suddenly become "active Christians" in our Church, because, in East Texas (at that time) that was pretty much a prerequisite for running for office.

Comment

Editing another persons post is not "dishonest", Michel, whatever you might believe. At least not as long as the person doing the editing is clearly signaling that that's what he's doing, which OBP clearly did and on top of that he left the post ID in the quote tag, so anyone could go and look at the original. There simply was no deception involved. You might not think he "captured the gist of your post" correctly, but you have no grounds for accusing him of dishonesty simply because you think (and however warranted you might be in thinking so) he misunderstood your post.

So, whatever other reasons you might have for not liking the editing of someone elses post that happens here sometime, dishonesty is not one of those things, because whenever it happens the person doing it usually makes it clear that the post they're quoting has been purposefully edited.
                              we actually discussed this a while back in the staff area. As long as it is obvious that someone changed the original quote, such as posting "FIFY" (Fixed It For You) or some other indicator, it is not being dishonest or lying. It is something that has been used on the internet for 30 years now for mostly sarcastic effect or a way to show a person how their word appear to others. It is similar to someone posting "Translation: blah blah blah" in response to someone's post.

Comment

Oh please. I know people who are not Christian or are openly agnostic and yet who still go to church for a wide variety of reasons. They may go for their spouse's sake, for the fellowship, to make business/political connections etc.
                                I believe Carp said he went to church with his wife. Or maybe it was Sea of Red?

Comment