Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Russian interference with the 2016 election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    If it is such a toothless lion, then why has Putin invested so much time and resources into destabilizing it?

I would agree Europe has been on a bit of a free ride with NATO - but we still get a good bit out of it - not the least of which is the opportunity to stage defensive weapons less than an ocean away from Russian and China. They should contribute more ... but kicking sand in their face and bald faced idiot cracks like "Germany is totally in the control of Russia" is the way to get that?

I guess we'll find out.

Jim
    More interested in destabilizing Europe as a whole than NATO. Moreover, by insisting that they start picking up the slack Trump is actually trying to rebuild NATO.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      More interested in destabilizing Europe as a whole than NATO. Moreover, by insisting that they start picking up the slack Trump is actually trying to rebuild NATO.
      He's saying to their faces what other POTUS's have said to the media.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I along with other at least 40% of the population wants the military budget to increase. We spend 1.5% and that's kinda abysmal. We need to increase that by at least a third, though I'd personally love to see our military budget doubled. The US might be spending a bit too much, but there's no doubt that Denmark and Germany are spending far too little.

Comment

• Strzok is testifying, and.... he appears angry and a bit "wild eyed", almost sneering.... he's making his opening statement.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• It's no surprise, I guess, that this hearing is rather rowdy... points of order, objections, Democrats definitely do NOT want Strzok answering questions, and Strzok is asserting that he is not there under subpoena, but of his own free will, which, he claims, entitles him to 'plead the 5th'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              It's no surprise, I guess, that this hearing is rather rowdy... points of order, objections, Democrats definitely do NOT want Strzok answering questions, and Strzok is asserting that he is not there under subpoena, but of his own free will, which, he claims, entitles him to 'plead the 5th'.
              He certainly has the right to plead the 5th (the right against self-incrimination). And every time he does...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That would be very foolish. Trump is about to rip apart one of the free world's primary deterrents to Putin and Russia expansion : NATO. Trump is effectively a Russian agent and must be removed from office as soon as is possible, and any candidate would be a better choice than him. The fact the GOP will sacrifice this country for the potential to. E in powere strips us all from the capacity to have something better than a hillary as an option. But we must get trump out. And we need to replace any and all GOP members that have shown they will put their own success above the good of the country by bowing to trump and allowing him to give the free world over to Putin.

Jim
                Yes, trying to get the other NATO countries on board with increased military spending and readiness so they can better stand up against Russia and getting Germany to stop giving Russia billions for energy is ‘playing right into Putin’s hands.’ Seriously, you’re smarter than these wild-eyed conspiracy theories that don’t even make sense with a little thought and application.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

He certainly has the right to plead the 5th (the right against self-incrimination). And every time he does...
                  Especially when he does it with a look of contempt on his face.... Gowdy, however, is making all his points even without Strzok answering.

LOTS of .. um... parliamentarian drama...

Comment

NATO has been a toothless and declawed tiger for quite some time now. If nobody in Europe can even manage to devote 2% of their GDP to defending themselves then there is no defense.
                    Germany only had about 39 combat ready euro fighters. That’s less fighters, for an entire country, than we have on a single carrier.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      Yes, trying to get the other NATO countries on board with increased military spending and readiness so they can better stand up against Russia and getting Germany to stop giving Russia billions for energy is ‘playing right into Putin’s hands.’ Seriously, you’re smarter than these wild-eyed conspiracy theories that don’t even make sense with a little thought and application.
                      The majority of the 'wild-eyed conspiracy' theorists have trump's ear pix. Ever since I heard Trump folk buying into the idea the Park Service had 'altered' photos of the inauguration to make it 'appear' as though his inauguration wasn't as big as Obama's it has been clear what sort of 'intelligence' trump listens to. I had friends that ought to know better sending me pics and trying to back up that idiot claim. And Trump has pretty much ridden that wagon of half-wits ever since. So the idea trump might actually have a sensible plan for something other than his own business interests is something I'm understandably skeptical of.

And I have yet to see Trump actually put the US welfare before his desire to be Putin's 'BFF'. As for whether or not there might be a positive spin on what Trump is doing at the NATO summit right now ... I'll wait and see.

Jim
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Germany only had about 39 combat ready euro fighters. That’s less fighters, for an entire country, than we have on a single carrier.
                        To get off my obvious disdain for DT for a moment, I do believe we have been shortchanged by previous admins on the issue of requiring better and stronger contributions from our NATO allies.

So if trump doesn't actually destroy NATO and gets them to do better, that would be a win from my perspective.

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The majority of the 'wild-eyed conspiracy' theorists have trump's ear pix. Ever since I heard Trump folk buying into the idea the Park Service had 'altered' photos of the inauguration to make it 'appear' as though his inauguration wasn't as big as Obama's it has been clear what sort of 'intelligence' trump listens to. I had friends that ought to know better sending me pics and trying to back up that idiot claim. And Trump has pretty much ridden that wagon of half-wits ever since. So the idea trump might actually have a sensible plan for something other than his own business interests is something I'm understandably skeptical of.
                          And yet I still see nothing here that proves that Trump is an agent of Putin.

And I have yet to see Trump actually put the US welfare before his desire to be Putin's 'BFF'. As for whether or not there might be a positive spin on what Trump is doing at the NATO summit right now ... I'll wait and see.
                          And yet again, would an agent of Putin...

Work on getting NATO its strength back?
                          Keep embargo’s inplace that cost Russia billions?
                          Try to sell US energy to Europe and cut into Russia’s bottom line?

Thus far what I see is conspiracy theories and opinion being treated as fact, but little (if any), evidence is present. Russia conspiracy theories are pretty much dead. There’s much more effective ways to go after Trump than wide-eyed conspiracy theories.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

To get off my obvious disdain for DT for a moment, I do believe we have been shortchanged by previous admins on the issue of requiring better and stronger contributions from our NATO allies.

So if trump doesn't actually destroy NATO and gets them to do better, that would be a win from my perspective.

Jim
                            Both Bush and Obama did push NATO countries to spend more and it was Obama that pushed for the 2% GDP to the military by 2024. So Obama did do work here, the problem is less than half will meet that deadline.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

There are two great reasons why most of Europe doesn't want Germany to have a large military.
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                There are two great reasons why most of Europe doesn't want Germany to have a large military.
                                Still, today, ya think?

Comment