Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Do you think it moral to stone and burn people to death for picking up sticks on the Sabbath, Sparko?
    Why wouldn't it be Jim? What's your basis for judging morality?

Comment

Do you think it moral to stone and burn people to death for picking up sticks on the Sabbath, Sparko?
      Did you even read Adrift's earlier post to you on capital punishment in the Pentateuch?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        JimL comes across as someone who is so convinced of Christianity's obvious inferiority that there's no need to put forth any effort in refuting it.
        Inferiority has nothing to do with it, it's mythology woven into a history, and I've refuted it plenty.

You'd think he'd learn otherwise after a sufficient quantity of boots to the head, but his smug superiority appears to be invincible.
        Now that's what I call an ironic accussation.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Did you even read Adrift's earlier post to you on capital punishment in the Pentateuch?
          He doesn't give a flying flip about the truth - all he wants to do is to derail. Adrift's response was quite damaging to Jimmy's derail.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Why wouldn't it be Jim? What's your basis for judging morality?
            The golden rule, Sparko. Think about it! Now you answer the question. Do you think that stoning and burning human beings to death for any reason is moral?

Comment

The golden rule, Sparko. Think about it! Now you answer the question. Do you think that stoning and burning human beings to death for any reason is moral?
              I was asking YOU why it would be immoral, Mr. Agnostic. What reason do you think it is immoral? What's your basis for judging morality? You claim that morals are just a function of a society. So if a society decides to give capital punishment for picking up sticks, how is that any different from a society who decides to give capital punishment for selling state secrets to the enemy?

Comment

The article is one of those that is repeating parts of other articles. sigh.

But following one of the links in it I see:

Now, he said, he understands why people believe the Christian faith leads them to oppose same-sex marriage, but hopes they encounter scripture interpreted a different way.

“I hope that teachings about inclusion and love win out over what I personally consider to be a handful of scriptures that reflect the moral expectations of the era in which they were recorded,” he said.
                https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...=.2141dc11248e

Which shows he isn't interpreting scripture at all, he is ignoring it as some sort of "cultural thing" that men made up, not God.

So basically he has a Smorgasbord style Christianity. He just picks the parts of the buffet he likes and ignores the rest.
                So, nothing at all about accepting Christ as Savior, sin, repentance... Just "let's all hold hands and sing kum-ba-yah, and ignore what the Bible actually says".
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Inferiority has nothing to do with it, it's mythology woven into a history, and I've refuted it plenty.

Now that's what I call an ironic accussation.
                  Thanks for proving my point, Jim.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    So, nothing at all about accepting Christ as Savior, sin, repentance... Just "let's all hold hands and sing kum-ba-yah, and ignore what the Bible actually says".
                    nope. Just picking what parts he likes (inclusion, love) and ignoring the parts he doesn't (sin, punishment)

Comment

nope. Just picking what parts he likes (inclusion, love) and ignoring the parts he doesn't (sin, punishment)
                      So, the burden is still on Tassman to back up his claim that Buttigieg is a "practicing Christian" who "interprets" the scriptures regarding homosexuality differently, as opposed to just outright ignoring them.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Thanks for proving my point, Jim.

Comment

That's called "argument by weblink" which is a no-no. Can you please cite the part where Buttigieg himself claims to be a practicing Christian.

And, more importantly, where he, as a "practicing Christian" interprets, rather than outright ignores, the relevant scriptures concerning homosexuality?

Thanks
                          You asked "Show me where he actually claims to be a 'practicing Christian'." No argument involved - just a link that shows where he makes the claim (or so I thought) per your request.
                          It's clear enough that he considers himself a Christian, even without the information in this piece quoting him:
                          “When I think about where most of Scripture points me, it is toward defending the poor, and the immigrant, and the stranger, and the prisoner, and the outcast, and those who are left behind by the way society works. And what we have now is this exaltation of wealth and power, almost for its own sake, that in my reading of Scripture couldn't be more contrary to the message of Christianity."
                          https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/3342767002/
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                            You asked "Show me where he actually claims to be a 'practicing Christian'." No argument involved - just a link that shows where he makes the claim (or so I thought) per your request.
                            But I don't think it actually indicates that he, himself, claims to be a "practicing Christian", correct? That's all I'm asking. There are plenty of people who ASSUME that, but I don't see himself making that claim.

It's clear enough that he considers himself a Christian, even without the information in this piece quoting him:
                            Tassman explicitly cites that Buttigieg claims to be a "practicing Christian".

“When I think about where most of Scripture points me, it is toward defending the poor, and the immigrant, and the stranger, and the prisoner, and the outcast, and those who are left behind by the way society works. And what we have now is this exaltation of wealth and power, almost for its own sake, that in my reading of Scripture couldn't be more contrary to the message of Christianity."
                            https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/3342767002/
                            Sure, he has a very dismissive view of the Bible in favor of his "faith" of Liberation Theology.

Comment

Sure, he has a very dismissive view of the Bible in favor of his "faith" of Liberation Theology.
                              Well yes - but I've got a war on my hands right now about OSAS (which can only be valid if "faith alone" holds true.) ... which is promoted by some and opposed by others, with both groups claiming to be Christian. People holding the wrong view on that issue are no less imperilled. But I don't think either side is willing to call the other "not Christian" for all that one of them is certainly ignoring even broader swathes of scripture than are devoted to homosexual relationships.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                                Well yes - but I've got a war on my hands right now about OSAS (which can only be valid if "faith alone" holds true.) ... which is promoted by some and opposed by others, with both groups claiming to be Christian. People holding the wrong view on that issue are no less imperilled. But I don't think either side is willing to call the other "not Christian" for all that one of them is certainly ignoring even broader swathes of scripture than are devoted to homosexual relationships.
                                OK, lemme be more clear.... I don't know if he's "practicing Christian" or not - there appears to be little support for that, but I really have no way of knowing - I'd be arguing from silence. I haven't seen anything at all where he claims to be a practicing Christian, I've never seen anything where he claimed to accept Christ as Savior, believes the Bible is more than "just a book", or even has a prayer life (he seemed rather dismissive of the concept of prayer).

So, I'm not asking "is he a Christian" or even debating whether he is or is not. All I'm asking is - in light of the anti-Christian crowd proclaiming him "a practicing Christian" - has he ever made that claim himself?

Scripture Verse: Romans 10:9

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment