Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

My brief (and polemical) thought about Christianity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brief (and polemical) thought about Christianity...

Dear Twebbers,

Christian doctrine cannot be true. First off, there are dozens, hundreds of Christian doctrines which are mutually exclusive. Two, they are full of contradictions. And third, because truth is the relation between description and that which is described. Well, a large chunk of Christian doctrine is about Christian doctrine. Thus, it is self-referential and leads nowhere.

Comments?
    Last edited by Seeker; 08-19-2019, 09:36 AM.

Jesus is Lord.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Jesus is Lord.
      To be honest, I was expecting some sort of debate. I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section -- please move it if necessary.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
        To be honest, I was expecting some sort of debate. I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section -- please movie it if necessary.

Cheers!
        The description is "Apologetics Lite. Open and very polite discussion on theism. Must be able to play well with others".

You and I have both been polite.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't quite see a problem with an observation that Christian doctrine is wrong ... as long as you don't mean that the gospel is wrong.

If we are saved by having totally correct doctrine, we all are in trouble.

If we misunderstand a math book, this doesn't mean that math itself is wrong. We just goofed up somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            The description is "Apologetics Lite. Open and very polite discussion on theism. Must be able to play well with others".

You and I have both been polite.
            Fair enough. But maybe I should have posted this in the Apologetics section. Sorry, will do better next time.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              I don't quite see a problem with an observation that Christian doctrine is wrong ... as long as you don't mean that the gospel is wrong.

If we are saved by having totally correct doctrine, we all are in trouble.

If we misunderstand a math book, this doesn't mean that math itself is wrong. We just goofed up somewhere.
              Speaking personally as a skeptic, I don't see how saying that the Gospel is wrong can be ''wrong''. I am obviously open to that possibility as well. And yes, it's a possible extension of my comment.

Thanks for your comment.
              Last edited by Seeker; 08-19-2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

To be honest, I was expecting some sort of debate. I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section -- please move it if necessary.

Cheers!
                If you want debate, maybe post something substantive? All I see in the OP is an assertion which is on the face of it absurd. "Hundreds of doctrines which are mutually exclusive?" Your opinion is duly noted and filed with those not sufficiently interesting to discuss.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You will need to provide specifics if you expect any sort of cogent response.

Otherwise: I have found Christianity to be true, and it's doctrines and beliefs to be also true and valuable to not only this life but the one to come.

There. Battling opinions.

Comment

Dear Twebbers,

Christian doctrine cannot be true. First off, there are dozens, hundreds of Christian doctrines which are mutually exclusive.
                    Non sequitur.

Two, they are full of contradictions.
                    I'd have to see what you had in mind for that. This is simply a vague assertion as is.

And third, because truth is the relation between description and that which is described. Well, a large chunk of Christian doctrine is about Christian doctrine. Thus, it is self-referential and leads nowhere.
                    ...what?
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Scholars find Paul to be contradictory all the time. What i have observed is that the scholars have misunderstood what Paul was saying. But the scholars blame Paul. From my viewpoint, I am not surprised when people consequently have contradictory doctrines.

This observation probably only addresses a small portion of the complaint in the original post.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Non sequitur.
                        I don't deny the possibility that one of them is true. But all shout ''I am right!'', and none of them show any evidence. For example, what concrete evidence is there to decide whether salvation is obtained by works, by Scripture, or by what one believes? Actually, there is not even evidence of any salvation or any condemnation to eternal suffering, so this is rather meaningless anyway...

I'd have to see what you had in mind for that. This is simply a vague assertion as is.
                        The logic is simple: if it is true it can't be self-contradictory. Or it is 1, or it is 3. 1 and 3 at the same time cannot be true.

(If you still don't get it, that was a reference to the Trinity).

...what?
                        I mean the claims are circular. What evidence from outside can be verified to validate the truth claims? And I am using the usual definition of truth from Philosophy. The only functional definition of truth is the correspondence between mental and supposedly factual contents; that is what I meant by ''truth is the relation between description and that which is described''.
                        Last edited by Seeker; 08-19-2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Comments?
                          In hindsight, demi surprised New Atheism had such yuge hype as big threat, cos turned out so very, very shallow.
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                            In hindsight, demi surprised New Atheism had such yuge hype as big threat, cos turned out so very, very shallow.
                            Hulk think demi talk funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Hulk think demi talk funny.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X