Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another Win For Gun Rights...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    That's just the thing, I'm seeing that you're only allowed to purchase fully-automatic weapons from before 1986 in all the links seer provided. It's meant for gun collectors and hobbyists basically. Not for self-defense. It acts as a defacto loop hole though for that purpose.
    Just be thankful you live where you do. I know I am.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Actually your link makes it quite clear that it is illegal for US Citizens to purchase a newly built M-16. There is a provision that allows a citizen to purchase an old machine gun from before 1986 though.
      The point is it is not necessarily illegal to own fully automatic rifles.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Why does regulations about high-capacity clips infringe on the constitution but fully-automatic gun regulations do not?
        To me, it's the slippery slope thing. You give them an inch of regulation and they'll eventually take a mile. It's best to nip it in the bud from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          The point is it is not necessarily illegal to own fully automatic rifles.
          Defacto it kinda is if what you have is a grandfathering law as a backdoor to getting it. If all the old guns seized up or became dysfunctional, it would defacto be the case that it is not legal for a US citizen to own a fully automatic firearm.

Which is why I asked if it is legal to ban purchase of fully-automatic firearms, why is it illegal to not sell magazines with certain clip sizes?

Comment

Which is why I asked if it is legal to ban purchase of fully-automatic firearms, why is it illegal to not sell magazines with certain clip sizes?
            I'm not sure, but it could be that the states are exercising too much authority. The automatic firearm thing is federal. Remember the congress did ban assault rifles in the 90s under Clinton. I don't like any of it myself...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              You watch too much TV, you would be extremely lucky to kill 10 people with 10 shots.
              Do California gun owners often find themselves involved in firefights where they have to fire more than 10 shots?
              "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
              "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                Do California gun owners often find themselves involved in firefights where they have to fire more than 10 shots?
                CoughRodneyKingRiotsCough

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                  CoughRodneyKingRiotsCough
                  You are claiming that during the Rodney King riots, there were people who died because they emptied a magazine and were shot during the two or three seconds it took them to replace the empty magazine with a fresh one. Correct? Can you provide links to any news stories which prove your claim?

Comment

The Second Amendment only applies to single shot muskets and duelling pistols.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      The Second Amendment only applies to single shot muskets and duelling pistols.
                      Funny how those who claim they value the original intent of the Constitution argue that their favorite document should also apply to modern hyper-violent technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                        Funny how those who claim they value the original intent of the Constitution argue that their favorite document should also apply to modern hyper-violent technology.
                        I was just doing some reading on US gun laws, and apparently it is legal for US citizens to own weapons such as grenade launchers, rocket launchers, and the like. I even found a listing for a tank with an operational 120mm main cannon and ten rounds of ammunition.

Comment

Funny how those who try to make this argument fail to see how it could be turned against them with Freedom of speech...i.e. it can't apply to Radio, TV or anything on the Internet because they were around then.
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                            I was just doing some reading on US gun laws, and apparently it is legal for US citizens to own weapons such as grenade launchers, rocket launchers, and the like. I even found a listing for a tank with an operational 120mm main cannon and ten rounds of ammunition.
                            That sounds pretty extreme. I don't know anyone who owns any of these things - and I say that knowing two people with fully automatic weapons.

EDIT: I did two or three minutes of research on this, and it appears that you're right. Americans can own some pretty extreme weaponry...
                            Last edited by Whateverman; 08-15-2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                              Funny how those who try to make this argument fail to see how it could be turned against them with Freedom of speech...i.e. it can't apply to Radio, TV or anything on the Internet because they were around then.
                              That's actually my point. The Constitution SHOULD be interpreted to take the evolution of technology into account.

I'm not a conservative who argues that the original intent of the Constitution needs to take center stage. As such, I'm not a hypocrite when it comes to how I think things like the freedom of speech and the freedom to own firearms should be implemented.

Consitutionalist conservatives who argue in favor of that original intent while also making an exception when it comes to their ability to own massive amount of firepower - are.

Comment

That's actually my point. The Constitution SHOULD be interpreted to take the evolution of technology into account.

I'm not a conservative who argues that the original intent of the Constitution needs to take center stage. As such, I'm not a hypocrite when it comes to how I think things like the freedom of speech and the freedom to own firearms should be implemented.

Consitutionalist conservatives who argue in favor of that original intent while also making an exception when it comes to their ability to own massive amount of firepower - are.
                                I don't see how Constitutional conservatives negate free speech rights because of technology. Libel and slander are still that no matter the medium. Perhaps a real world example instead of your vague accusations?
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment