Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

See more
See less

What Led to the Messiah being sent to the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Led to the Messiah being sent to the world?

What Led to the Messiah being sent to the world?

You mean aside from our (humanity) screwing everything up so that we need Him?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I was more thinking about the steps leading to the appearing of the Messiah.
      Maybe there is more to this than simply "the woman sinned; the Messiah came."
      Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-13-2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        I was more thinking about the steps leading to the appearing of the Messiah.
        Maybe there is more to this than simply "the woman sinned; the Messiah came."
        Interesting thought. I think it's more than a woman sinned; the Messiah came

Comment

I think what's most interesting is that God waited several thousand years before bringing his plan of salvation to fruition.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Interesting thought. I think it's more than a woman sinned; the Messiah came
            This is very much the Orthodox view. As we sing on the third Sunday in Lent:
            "The flaming sword no longer guards the gates of Paradise. It
            has been mysteriously extinguished by the Wood of the
            Cross. The sting of death and the victory of hades have been
            vanquished. For You, O my Saviour, came and cried to those
            in hades: Enter again, into Paradise. "
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I was trying to see if people had concepts of how the Messiah was to emerge from among the people of Israel and why there was a focus on Jesus as the Son of David.

Comment

Which "people?" Ancient Israelites? Second Temple Israelites? The first Jewish converts or modern Christians?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  Which "people?" Ancient Israelites? Second Temple Israelites? The first Jewish converts or modern Christians?
                  Essentially the ancient people. Do twebbers have ideas why a prophet should arise like unto Moses? Why was it important to designate that a descendant of David would rule on the throne? How does the behavior of (ancient) Israelites fit into the coming of the Messiah?

I was curious how people see these bits and pieces from the OT (with possible insights from the NT). Or are these details just not considered much by Christians?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                    Essentially the ancient people. Do twebbers have ideas why a prophet should arise like unto Moses? Why was it important to designate that a descendant of David would rule on the throne? How does the behavior of (ancient) Israelites fit into the coming of the Messiah?

I was curious how people see these bits and pieces from the OT (with possible insights from the NT). Or are these details just not considered much by Christians?

Comment

Deut 32 basically explains that the people of Israel will largely fall away. The explanation of the problem is found in Isaiah 5.
                      The gist here is that humanity couldn't be repaired by external measures to clean them up. The Hebrew people were the demonstration of this problem -- while also having benefits through this era. It is not that the Hebrew people were better or worse than other nations (as to their general qualities, apart from the basic nuturing by God); we learn later that the externally acting Mosaic Law could not change a person's nature.

This inability to change human nature externally is one foundational issue why the Messiah would bring forth a new creation. The people of Israel were to be preserved intact until the Messiah would arrive. There was an apologetic aspect to this, namely that the identity and origin of the Messiah would be known through prophetic fulfillment.

Comment

Short answer: God so willed. Though whether the Incarnation was intended anyway, regardless of sin, is another question.

Comment

This inability to change human nature externally is one foundational issue why the Messiah would bring forth a new creation.
                          Ah ... a nice lynch-pin. Can I steal it?
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                            Ah ... a nice lynch-pin. Can I steal it?
                            Sure. I hope the idea can be useful somewhere.

Comment