Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does the Trinity constitute three separate consciousnesses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Trinity constitute three separate consciousnesses?

My understanding of Classical Theism is that the only distinction in the Trinity is that of procession. The Son proceeds from the Father and the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son. And that is that. It seems to me far more plausible for there to be be three separate consciousnesses and not just procession as it would make far more sense on the incarnation for one thing.

Are there any problems with such a view? I understand the philosophical objections from those who argue that God must be simple otherwise he couldn't be the first cause etc but is there any particular Biblical issues or are they inextricably linked to the philosophical objections to there being three separate consciousnesses?

I thought the definition was "One God comprising three distinct persons."

I don't see how there can NOT be three "consciousnesses" without rendering Scripture incomprehensible.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Physiocrat View Post
      My understanding of Classical Theism is that the only distinction in the Trinity is that of procession. The Son proceeds from the Father and the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son. And that is that. It seems to me far more plausible for there to be be three separate consciousnesses and not just procession as it would make far more sense on the incarnation for one thing.

Are there any problems with such a view? I understand the philosophical objections from those who argue that God must be simple otherwise he couldn't be the first cause etc but is there any particular Biblical issues or are they inextricably linked to the philosophical objections to there being three separate consciousnesses?
      Just one comment: I would consider the Trinity as Classical 'Christian Theism,' and not Classical Theism.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

My understanding of Classical Theism is that the only distinction in the Trinity is that of procession. The Son proceeds from the Father and the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son.
        This is incorrect. The Son is begotten from the Father and the Spirit proceeds from the Father (in the West, from the Father and the Son, but that's not the classic formulation).
        And that is that. It seems to me far more plausible for there to be be three separate consciousnesses and not just procession as it would make far more sense on the incarnation for one thing.

I'm not quite sure what you intend by 'consciousnesses'. Your view, on the surface, appears to be perilously close to tritheism. Classically, God is three hypostases in one Being. Three Persons, but one will.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          This is incorrect. The Son is begotten from the Father and the Spirit proceeds from the Father (in the West, from the Father and the Son, but that's not the classic formulation).

I'm not quite sure what you intend by 'consciousnesses'. Your view, on the surface, appears to be perilously close to tritheism. Classically, God is three hypostases in one Being. Three Persons, but one will.
          The formulation I provided was from a theologian in a Thomistic Institute lecture. As to what the appropriate "classical theistic" view is to a large extent redundant for the issues I wish to explore.

With respect to consciousness I mean each member of the Trinity has their own internal experiences that the others do not have. I'd also say they have three wills but that the wills are united (they agree as it were)

What are the problems of this position apart from arguing it is tritheism? The accusation of tritheism depends on what concept of God you are using. I think it is philosophically defensible and doesn't violate the way scripture discusses God.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Just one comment: I would consider the Trinity as Classical 'Christian Theism,' and not Classical Theism.
            Fair enough. I was using Classical Theism mainly to denote Divine Simplicity which is common to Aristotle and Islam at least.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Shuny, might I kindly point out that this forum is "theist only"?

Thanks
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As to the question of the thread title,
                Does the Trinity constitute three separate consciousnesses?
                Yes.
                But the error is not in the concept of the Trinity but in trying to explain the explanation. The Trinity is the explanation.
                Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                This is incorrect. The Son is begotten from the Father . . . [Nicene Creed]
                Now this concept is extra Biblical and it is a foundation of the error of Arianism, the creed being written in refutation of that error needs to add the words "not made" which it does. [Over this issue and one other (John 1:2), I am considered unorthodox here on Tweb.] I hold the three Persons are the one and the same God, which is orthodox.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Yes, it is three consciousnesses.

Comment

I don't see how there could be anything but three consciousnesses(sp?) without making nonsense of the concept of personhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      I don't see how there could be anything but three consciousnesses(sp?) without making nonsense of the concept of personhood.
                      I hereby offer my yesnesses.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The concept of kenosis is relevant here. While in the flesh, Jesus did not know when he would return, but said that God the Father did know. Clearly there is a distinction.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          The concept of kenosis is relevant here. While in the flesh, Jesus did not know when he would return, but said that God the Father did know. Clearly there is a distinction.
                          Some trinitarians such as Dr Walter Martin takes the position that the second Person of the Trinity did not become the Son until His incarnation (Luke 1:35; Mark 13:32 [Acts 1:7]). Dr Martin held that the concept of the eternal Son was not biblical. [I disagree with Dr. Martin on the concept of the eternal Son, though like the term Trinity does not occur in the Bible.]
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Well, classical theists I have come across argue that the term person here is a technical one which doesn't relate to what we normally understand by person. Now to what they use it mean, all I can gather is that there is Father, Son and Spirit, they aren't each but one and they only differences are the difference of procession as laid out in the OP

Comment

Originally posted by Physiocrat
                              Well, classical theists I have come across argue that the term person here is a technical one which doesn't relate to what we normally understand by person. Now to what they use it mean, all I can gather is that there is Father, Son and Spirit, they aren't each but one and they only differences are the difference of procession as laid out in the OP
                              In my opinion, people who teach that are severely undermining the humanity of Jesus Christ.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X